What would you do if you were in charge of Sky News?

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem here is that those shitty talkshows actually rate, at least by pay TV standards.
Using last night as an example, 3 of the top 10 shows on pay TV were Bolt and PML, with Credlin coming in at 12.

Sadly, Bolt rates.

I don’t think their anywhere near as influential as their far right followers in Canberra think.

This is a good thing though, it’s driving them to electoral obliteration.

I wonder how the Sky News right wing commentators like Andrew Bolt and Peta Credlin deal with a Bill Shorten Labor government, especially in the first few months. Do they go hard on Shorten from the minute he’s elected PM, or do they wait until Shorten stuffs up and then advocates for a return to a Coalition government in 3 years time?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder how the Sky News right wing commentators like Andrew Bolt and Peta Credlin deal with a Bill Shorten Labor government, especially in the first few months. Do they go hard on Shorten from the minute he’s elected PM, or do they wait until Shorten stuffs up and then advocates for a return to a Coalition government in 3 years time?

They'll just do what they've done all along regardless and that's whinge.

Reality is just a construct to them, so they will claim he’s a disaster from day one regardless of what’s happening.

Don't take this as a defence of someone like Andrew Bolt because I can't stand the guy but why is opinion on ABC = good, and opinion on a channel like sky news = bad?

Don't take this as a defence of someone like Andrew Bolt because I can't stand the guy but why is opinion on ABC = good, and opinion on a channel like sky news = bad?
I'll have a go at answering...

SKY has an obvious bias and doesn't hide it (examples politics and climate change). The ABC is perceived to have a similar opposite bias by those that watch SKY.

At times it may appear that the ABC is biased as it reports on more political, human interest, topical stories etc and at times I too (as an avid ABC Viewer) have thought one or two of their presenter's opinion was biased merely because it differed to mine.;)

However I truly believe that a high percentage of their shows are well researched and presented. Many a time you will hear that they gave X an opportunity to come on the show for comment but haven't accepted.

If I was in charge of sky news I would be defending Pell vigeriously right now for at least the next week. Anything else would tarnish my brand and I'd just be another leftist mouth piece like the ABC

If I was in charge of sky news I would be defending Pell vigeriously right now for at least the next week. Anything else would tarnish my brand and I'd just be another leftist mouth piece like the ABC
Get Johnny Howard on to talk about his character reference he wrote for him too.
Bring Tony and Gerad Henderson in as well reminisce about their long friendships and discuss how much of a good bloke Pell is

Interesting to hear what the Sky News shock jocks like Andrew Bolt, Peta Credlin and Paul Murray make of Ita Buttrose being appointed to chair the ABC Board, especially Bolt, considering his total hatred of the ABC.

humour coming from someone who is an ardent apologist for the union movement.
Andrew bolt just completely defended a convicted paedophile

Id think any rwnj with a SINGLE functioning braincell would be really quiet in a thread by this name.

I guess that answers another question weve wondered about doesnt it?

Andrew bolt just completely defended a convicted paedophile

Id think any rwnj with a SINGLE functioning braincell would be really quiet in a thread by this name.

I guess that answers another question weve wondered about doesnt it?

So, not even a change of government would make Sky News re-think its ‘right at night’ policy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question - how many viewers do they have?

As a bit of fun, I would let all the programs run for a whole week doing their normal thing, but run Bugs Bunny and The Brady Bunch to air instead without them knowing.

Then I'd have a really close look at their ratings compared to The Brady Bunch.

It’s not hard to see why David Speers is without doubt the best political journalist/commentator since Laurie Oakes. Speers can handle the big events like the Hanoi Summit or Federal Election night better than anyone else. It still amazes me why the big TV networks like Nine, Seven or the ABC hasn’t got Speers to head up its political team in Canberra.

I'll have a go at answering...

SKY has an obvious bias and doesn't hide it (examples politics and climate change). The ABC is perceived to have a similar opposite bias by those that watch SKY.

At times it may appear that the ABC is biased as it reports on more political, human interest, topical stories etc and at times I too (as an avid ABC Viewer) have thought one or two of their presenter's opinion was biased merely because it differed to mine.;)

However I truly believe that a high percentage of their shows are well researched and presented. Many a time you will hear that they gave X an opportunity to come on the show for comment but haven't accepted.
Couldn't agree with your observations about the ABC more. The more I watch the ABC the less I can understand why some people think there is such a clear cut bias to the left of politics. The only conclusion I can come to is that the right are so pre-disposed to having their cheerleaders (e.g. Bolt et. al.) that a new service that is more balanced must be inherently biased against them.

Even when it comes to shows like Q&A (which I must admit I am watching less and less of these days) they are providing a more balanced panel (the quality of the actual members of the panel is up for debate). Yes they may give a bit more air play to questioners from the left but that isn't being biased if there is a balanced panel to answer those questions.

I probably sit to the right of centre in most of my political beliefs and can't say that I've ever seen an ABC show and thought that it is biased against anyone of any political persuasion.

Cause the ABC denounce pedophiles and offer support to their victims whilst Sky support pedophiles and denounce their victims.

I know that they want to win the culture wars at all costs, but they are taking by any means possible a little too far on this occasion.

Last edited:
I would be in regular contact with Lahlan, follow Rupert's tweets and other musing closely, and ensure all programming followed those expressed preferences.
Then, I would attempt to get a major payout before leaving and taking up a job with some respect - such as, I don't know, ethics overseer at AMP.

It is a bit of a concern that Sky News has more talk shows (especially from the right wing sector) than hourly news updates which they used to do when they first started their news broadcasts in 1996.

So what would you do if you were in charge of Sky News? Would you keep the talk shows (ie Bolt, Paul Murray Live), or would you go back to hourly news updates every night?

Close the News Room and rename it the "Right wing campaigners paid by Rupert" Room

Imagine how good the late Mike Willesee would’ve been on Sky News if he had worked there. Willesee’s interview with the then Opposition Leader John Hewson over the GST and the birthday cake prior to the 1993 federal election is one of the great political TV interviews of all time.

I read on the Nine News website that a reporter on Fox News had information about the Stormy Daniels affair in the lead up to the 2016 US Presidential election and was ready to go on air about the damaging information only to drop the story by someone high up in the Fox News organisation because Rupert Murdoch (who owns Fox as well as Sky News) wanted Donald Trump to win the election. I would imagine Murdoch advising his Sky News politics team to go easy on Scott Morrison yet at the same time make life unbearable for Bill Shorten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back