Whateley leaves ABC for SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Bro. Your perspective on the significance of cricket in Australia, and the status of the upcoming Test series, is way off the mark. Your opinion is not accurate in every context.

It reminds me of a couple of weeks ago Tim Watson suggesting the Oz/SA Tests would be overshadowed by the upcoming NBL finals!!!

If an Eng/NZ T20 match can outrate most recent A-League matches (let alone NBL), then the SA series will do very well.

Whateley continues to bring cache to SEN - Obtaining quality guests onto his program is because they understand, Whateley will ask difficult but well researched questions - Questions that allowed a skilled guest to craft meaningful messages.

Whateley continues to bring cache to SEN - Obtaining quality guests onto his program is because they understand, Whateley will ask difficult but well researched questions - Questions that allowed a skilled guest to craft meaningful messages.

Cache :thumbsu:: thats a description a serious journo would relish, & very appropriate in the current situation.

To what extent is it calling in favours, calling on friendships ?

Can it extend into the hum drum of weekly footy coverage, e.g Bucks this/that, The Tiges, KB style coverage .... the sort of stuff that was SEN footy coverage day in, day out, in years gone by.

Can Gerard maintain his current credibility in the eyes of the general sporting public, or will his cache suffer from over exposure, that 3 hour stints on talkback radio must inevitably deliver.

I had to laugh when he upset Jeff Kennett a couple weeks ago with a 'misogynist' question & while I'm not Whateley's biggest fan, he's no shrinking violet which makes for good radio at times.

yaco's point is right though. It's why that for whatever weaknesses Gerard has, he's a big addition to the station. He has clout. On the same show, he had Gil and James Sutherland on. I don't think those two appeared on the station in the same year previously?? Such is the lack of regard for SEN.

One thing I noted over the years was on Friday mornings. The AFL CEO would appear on ABC breakfast, then 3aw, but never on SEN when doing the rounds. It's little things like that that diminish the station. They wouldn't appear in a designated sports show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yaco's point is right though. It's why that for whatever weaknesses Gerard has, he's a big addition to the station. He has clout. On the same show, he had Gil and James Sutherland on. I don't think those two appeared on the station in the same year previously?? Such is the lack of regard for SEN.

One thing I noted over the years was on Friday mornings. The AFL CEO would appear on ABC breakfast, then 3aw, but never on SEN when doing the rounds. It's little things like that that diminish the station. They wouldn't appear in a designated sports show.

Given the ABC breakfast gig was footy lite with Red Symons courtesy of links within the Greek community.

I was thinking the other day about his workload with the daily SEN show, Fox and calling sport.

The SEN show even at four days a week is a tough one compared to FM radio where they can pre record more content and play Music on top of adds.

Further to my above post

Gerard Whateley has been forced to return to Melbourne to attend Fox Footy’s 2018 season launch tonight, according to today’s Herald Sun. Whateley was to present his SEN morning show from South Africa this week in between the first two tests against Australia, but Fox Footy told Whateley’s management it was not acceptable. So he had to fly from Durban to Melbourne with stops at Johannesburg and Perth. Tomorrow (Thursday) morning he will fly from to Melbourne to Port Elizabeth via Johannesburg, and should arrive just in time for the start of the second test on Friday.

Further to my above post

Gerard Whateley has been forced to return to Melbourne to attend Fox Footy’s 2018 season launch tonight, according to today’s Herald Sun. Whateley was to present his SEN morning show from South Africa this week in between the first two tests against Australia, but Fox Footy told Whateley’s management it was not acceptable. So he had to fly from Durban to Melbourne with stops at Johannesburg and Perth. Tomorrow (Thursday) morning he will fly from to Melbourne to Port Elizabeth via Johannesburg, and should arrive just in time for the start of the second test on Friday.

Posted since the announcement of Whateley joining SEN that AFL360 would always take precedence over SEN - And to think some thought he would call the whole test series in South Africa.

Posted since the announcement of Whateley joining SEN that AFL360 would always take precedence over SEN - And to think some thought he would call the whole test series in South Africa.
It says he's flying back to cover them.

Frankly I think it's counter productive for him to be over there at all. I'd have thought bedding down his new morning program would have been the more sensible course of action.

It says he's flying back to cover them.

Frankly I think it's counter productive for him to be over there at all. I'd have thought bedding down his new morning program would have been the more sensible course of action.

Whateley is covering the first two tests,then will be back to continue his SENshifts and the beginning of AFL 360 on the 19th or March.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back