What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funnily enough I was having a drink or 2 with some of the prime movers for any of those scenarios to happen just last Saturday - and noob - you are talking out of your arse.

Care to name names? This is a pointless post unless you are prepared to say who you are talking about or you might as well have not posted it. I would love to hear what is so wrong about my post. The only one of the three I have not seen or spoken to personally is Martin, but have been hearing persistent whispers of his signing at the burra'...

Who were you having a drink with and what did they say on the contrary to what I have heard and seen?

Also personal attacks are unnecessary and further lower the already weak standard of your post.

Praccy matches this weekend... can anyone who attends these games, let us know how they went

E/hawk v Rochester (Canterbury Park 2pm)
South Bendigo v Bell Park (QEO, 2pm)
S'saye v North B'rat (S'saye Oval 2pm)
Kang Flat v Charlton (Dower Park 7pm)
Sandhurst v Birchip (QEO 6pm)

Can report that Strath Storm had a good win over Nth City Ballarat (or the Northies as the Addy used to call them !). Margin in the end was about 5 goals for the Seniors. Players to impress for the Storm included Gawthrop, Pilcher, Whits and Lochie Sharp. Wicksy also did some good physical stuff.

Ressies had a good win and the 3rds went down by about 6 goals. Apparently this was the same margin that Sandhurst U18's (reigning premiers) lost to Nth Ballarat as well.

Went and watch Heathcote belt the daylights out of Mitiamo (28.11 to 1.2) under the balmy lights in Mitiamo. Heard a couple people suggesting the return of the old BFL night series as a pre season comp. Judging by some of the blow out pre season results - maybe not such a bad idea.

Can play the matches at Tom Flood, Showgrounds or even at Mitiamo (one of the greenest grounds I have seen in a long time with good lighting). 5pm, 7pm & 9pm start times, 20 mins - no time on.

Maybe have two divisions combining teams from the BFL/HDFL/GVFL/LVFL.

BDCA showed the way with the T20 concept this season, might be something to consider for next year. What are other peoples thoughts on this ???

Dragons played Birchip last night. Reserves first 3 qtrs won by 11 goals, seniors second 3 qtrs won by 6 goals.

South played Bell Park in 2 full games. South seniors lost by 5 goals

As mentioned, E'hawk got hammered by Schimdty's mob. Singh got injured. They played a full side, so either Rochy are just THAT good, or Eaglehawk has some work ahead of them for a 3-peat.

Flat beat Charlton

Square def Euroa by 10 goals

Strath'saye def North City by 5 goals

Gisborne lost to Sunbury in their Derby

Some interesting results there - E'hawk and Strath'saye stand out. Bendigo sides played teams in stronger (GValley, Geelong & B'rat) and weaker (Nth Central FL) comp's so gives you an idea where we are at

Interesting listening on the radio this morning......Kynetons coach talking up the club. Anyone got any idea who this CHF from Sunbury is and he must be good if hes gonna be the biggest signing in the BFL??

Ash Fleming was in the Ballarat Football League team of the year last year playing for Sunbury. But I thought he had signed at Macedon??

Kyneton were far from disgraced however with recruits (the Picciones and others) not playing.
Most of Kynetons squad played reserves and then backed up for senior action.
The Tigers may not be the basket case that most people are predicting.

How could you say that Kyneton were far from disgraced after losing by 10 goals to Jacana. Now Jacana (EDFL Div 2) may have recruited this year to improve on their previous season efforts but if I were a Kyneton supporter I wouldnt be too optimistic.

2006 - Jacana (1 win 14 losses 14th)
2007 - Jacana (2 wins 13 losses 12th)
2008 - Jacana (0 wins 15 losses 14th)
2009 - ???

I went down to the Gisborne V Sunbury big rivalry game, Gisborne got beat by Sunbury and as someone said before i think Sunbury were missing a lot of its regular senior players.

Worst sign for Gisborne was star recruit from St Bernards, the forward Potter, who was totally school by some young skinny kid playing full back for Sunbury. Don't know who the Sunbury kid was but he was taking front spot and marking the ball when it came in, maybe they should get him for the Doggies forward line.

Gisborne could struggle through 2008 i reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some interesting results there - E'hawk and Strath'saye stand out. Bendigo sides played teams in stronger (GValley, Geelong & B'rat) and weaker (Nth Central FL) comp's so gives you an idea where we are at

Can supporters of Maryborough and Castlemaine let us know how they have gone in practice matches.

He was at Kyneton originally wasnt he ?

He's a good player but no superstar

Fairly certain he has played VFL football, was named CHF or CHB in Ballart League team of year last year & thought he was signed at macedon. Big call to say no superstar, watching Gis fall down repeatedly across half forward yeaterday would suggest he should have been a target of your club.
Gis has a habit of knocking blokes who play elsehwre and exagerating the ability of those that play there. The new recruit potter might be a good player but would want to show a lot more than he did sunday. as for macedon they must be licking there lips with the 'good' player they secured.

Fairly certain he has played VFL football, was named CHF or CHB in Ballart League team of year last year & thought he was signed at macedon. Big call to say no superstar, watching Gis fall down repeatedly across half forward yeaterday would suggest he should have been a target of your club.
Gis has a habit of knocking blokes who play elsehwre and exagerating the ability of those that play there. The new recruit potter might be a good player but would want to show a lot more than he did sunday. as for macedon they must be licking there lips with the 'good' player they secured.
Why is that a big call ? There is no way known he would be classed as a superstar of the BFL. I have no doubt he will be a star at a club like Macedon.
I certainly wouldnt put him in the same category as the Milward, Robbins, Fitzgerald type players (medal winners) that have dominated at BFL level. These blokes are what i call "superstars".

Do you rate him in the same class as these boys ? I think not.

Care to give some examples of your Hi-lighted comments.

Why is that a big call ? There is no way known he would be classed as a superstar of the BFL. I have no doubt he will be a star at a club like Macedon.
I certainly wouldnt put him in the same category as the Milward, Robbins, Fitzgerald type players (medal winners) that have dominated at BFL level. These blokes are what i call "superstars".

Do you rate him in the same class as these boys ? I think not.

Care to give some examples of your Hi-lighted comments.

Football history is scattered with the names of sheepdog recievers that have caught the umpires eye to take out comp' medal honors (not saying these guys fall into that category) but I certainly would not be using a medal as justification of a players superstar status. After all its just the umpires opinion, and anyway what do they know about the game ???

Next thing you will being saying, is that Woewodin was a champion !

If you were at the game then you may have just noticed that from the first bounce till the last Sunbury flooded and for most part Potter had two and sometimes three opponents. However the skinny kid as you call him was Brett Chambers and is probably Sunbury's best player, he was a great match up and is a very good player. For two sides to kick a total of eleven goals till three quarter time in perfect conditions and finish with fifteen tells the story. Great tactics for a practice match, flooding, I think some people watch too much television, it was a waste of time for both sides.

If you were at the game then you may have just noticed that from the first bounce till the last Sunbury flooded and for most part Potter had two and sometimes three opponents. However the skinny kid as you call him was Brett Chambers and is probably Sunbury's best player, he was a great match up and is a very good player. For two sides to kick a total of eleven goals till three quarter time in perfect conditions and finish with fifteen tells the story. Great tactics for a practice match, flooding, I think some people watch too much television, it was a waste of time for both sides.

Waste of time? It was a praccy match - time to get some game time for some players and try a couple of things before the season starts. Flood?? I think you mean rolling zone.

Football history is scattered with the names of sheepdog recievers that have caught the umpires eye to take out comp' medal honors (not saying these guys fall into that category) but I certainly would not be using a medal as justification of a players superstar status. After all its just the umpires opinion, and anyway what do they know about the game ???

Next thing you will being saying, is that Woewodin was a champion !

Add names like Elsum and Saunders to that list and i think you will find that the BFL umpires have been pretty spot on in recent times.

Definately no sheepdog receivers in amongst those names

I went down to the Gisborne V Sunbury big rivalry game, Gisborne got beat by Sunbury and as someone said before i think Sunbury were missing a lot of its regular senior players.

Worst sign for Gisborne was star recruit from St Bernards, the forward Potter, who was totally school by some young skinny kid playing full back for Sunbury. Don't know who the Sunbury kid was but he was taking front spot and marking the ball when it came in, maybe they should get him for the Doggies forward line.

Gisborne could struggle through 2008 i reckon
Big rivalry game ? It was a practice match ! Speaking to the Sunbury coach after the game and he told me the full back was probably the best defender in the Ballarat league.

It was also Potters second (practice) game for the club, no doubt he will get better with time.

Waste of time? It was a praccy match - time to get some game time for some players and try a couple of things before the season starts. Flood?? I think you mean rolling zone.

Would normally agree with you mate and the use of the term "rolling zone" but Sunbury's was an old fashioned "flood" hence they could not get back quick enough to hurt Gisborne on the scoreboard, nothing "rolling" about that.

Big rivalry game ? It was a practice match ! Speaking to the Sunbury coach after the game and he told me the full back was probably the best defender in the Ballarat league.

It was also Potters second (practice) game for the club, no doubt he will get better with time.
there wasnt that big of a crowd as you speculated in earlier posts KA. I dont think it matters who will play on potter through the season as it looked like there wasnt too many tricks in his hat, will gisbornes coach keep his spot in the team all season?
looks like Gisborne will finish 4-7 this year with no forward focal points to kick to. No 8 looked a player though for the dogs

Callan Potter is a VAFA rep that's come down a level to play bush footy so Bearsboy, he should be dominating, not taking 2-3 games to "get into it"...ho-hum.

Tip Top - thanks for the observation - I'm sure all other Bendigo sides have taken note of your comment about Potter. Double-team him or flood his space and he folds quicker than Superman on laundry day.

Gisborne & Sunbury have had a pretty big rivalry for a while, they have a cup for the annual game, it goes back to the RDFL days when they were key rivals of that comp. They dont like losing to each other.

And since that last post i spoke to a couple of people from Gissy and apparantly the full back isnt a new kid, as someone else said its Chambers. Im told he was full back in the ballarat league team of the year last year so i spose that doesnt make Potter's performance seem quite so poor, but still no excuses for a forward to get out marked so many times. Chambers is apparantly a relation to Darren Chambers from Kyneton.. maybe the Kyneton boys should chase him, a good defender would come in handy at that club! haha.

Potter's second game at the club yes, but he's played in the VAFA and was playing as a key forward in a young side, they looked for him plenty of times and he barely made a contest.

Also don't understand why young Gisborne didn't give a few more kids a run up forward, they didnt change it up much, or use the ball wisely. Number 30 for the Doggies seemed to lead well, make a contest and get on his own but they failed to use him and he spent a lot of time off the ground, i was surprised. The young fella would be disappointed! Anyone know who it was wearing 30 for Gisborne? Seems like a prospect?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back