Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

It won't. The one part of the story they can't change is The Dragon. Besides, it doesn't take long before it is blindingly obvious that it is Rand.
I wouldn't put it past them, given all the other random changes they've made. At this point in time, my money is on Perrin being the TV show's Dragon Reborn.

It won't. The one part of the story they can't change is The Dragon. Besides, it doesn't take long before it is blindingly obvious that it is Rand.
There was a leaked picture not too long ago that was Rand with a flame in the palm of his hand, so they haven’t changed that he can channel at least, so I think we’ll know who is the dragon by end of season at the very least.

Ah should we put spoilers in the title or something? I’m hoping people who haven’t read the books, will stick to the tv show thread, but who knows?

I wouldn't put it past them, given all the other random changes they've made. At this point in time, my money is on Perrin being the TV show's Dragon Reborn.
Nah there’s too many wolf motifs associated with Perrin in the marketing…I think that part of the story is safe at least. :D

As an FYI, there’s a bunch of pre-screenings of the first 2 episodes in the US on 15 November US time, so if you don’t want to be even more spoiled for the show than we already are, probably avoid social media from 16 onwards if you follow any wheel of time topics. I know I follow a bunch…so those days are going to be interesting. Lol

So they released the trailer today.

I did get up to watch it. I’m going to be a zombie today.

The change of oath from "I vow that I will make no weapon for one man to kill another" to one person annoys me. The reason it's man not person is because men are blamed for the War of Power and breaking the world (and obviously subsequent false Dragons), not because it’s ignoring women. It’s because women (Aes Sedai) DO hold the power (/One Power) it’s men in the Oath, not because they don’t.

It’s like someone on an HR committee who hasn’t read the books just did a find and replace of man with person throughout.

Last edited:
The Dragon will be in the story, but I’ll be surprised if they DON’T make it more ensemble, rather than Rand as a clear most important character.

The Dragon will be in the story, but I’ll be surprised if they DON’T make it more ensemble, rather than Rand as a clear most important character.

He isn't the clear most important character, though. Yes, he is the Dragon and yes he does ultimately face the Dark One, but you could easily make the case that Mat and Perrin are just as important. Hell, even Egwene is almost as important for what she did in unifying the White Tower.

He isn't the clear most important character, though. Yes, he is the Dragon and yes he does ultimately face the Dark One, but you could easily make the case that Mat and Perrin are just as important. Hell, even Egwene is almost as important for what she did in unifying the White Tower.
Nah, Mat is my favourite character (especially when with the Band of the Red Hand), but it’s Rand that unites nations, brings the Aiel out of the waste, defeats the most Forsaken and is the one to defeat the DO at the end. I want plenty of story time for Mat, (more Mat less Perrin with Faile suits me), Perrin, Nynaeve and Egwene, but Rand is more important then them. Though even equal story time I don’t mind, as long as they keep it clear Rand is MUCH stronger in the Power then any non-Forsaken Aes Sedai (including Egwene) rather than water that down to ‘suit modern audiences’.

The change of oath from "I vow that I will make no weapon for one man to kill another" to one person annoys me. The reason it's man not person is because men are blamed for the War of Power and breaking the world (and obviously subsequent false Dragons), not because it’s ignoring women. It’s because women (Aes Sedai) DO hold the power (/One Power) it’s men in the Oath, not because they don’t.

It’s like someone on an HR committee who hasn’t read the books just did a find and replace of man with person throughout.
I get it, but honestly it doesn’t really change how the aes Sedai view the vows anyway, since, while I haven’t read all the books, I think aes Sedai lived by the oath the way they would have if it had been person originally anyway, I don’t think they made a weapon for any person (man or woman) between A New Spring and Winters Heart (where I got up to).

A showing of the Pilot episode was shown last night. Early reviews are starting to come in. The ones I’ve seen seem to like it, one was a bit, meh, they thought the camera work and score were good and enjoyed the set-up in the first episode, but still couldn’t help thinking they’d seen similar before, which I get as a lot of modern fantasy writers have taken inspiration from Wheel of Time, it could suffer for how long it’s taken to adapt, however the majority seem pretty positive.

I have a love hate relationship with reviewers though, sometimes what they like I dislike and sometimes what they dislike I like. :D

However we’re just over a week from release, we’ll probably get more of an idea of how it’ll be received over the next few days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A showing of the Pilot episode was shown last night. Early reviews are starting to come in. The ones I’ve seen seem to like it, one was a bit, meh, they thought the camera work and score were good and enjoyed the set-up in the first episode, but still couldn’t help thinking they’d seen similar before, which I get as a lot of modern fantasy writers have taken inspiration from Wheel of Time, it could suffer for how long it’s taken to adapt, however the majority seem pretty positive.

I have a love hate relationship with reviewers though, sometimes what they like I dislike and sometimes what they dislike I like. :D

However we’re just over a week from release, we’ll probably get more of an idea of how it’ll be received over the next few days.
The first episode of almost every show is a bit meh, especially one with a whole new world that needs to be established. It takes a few episodes to understand exactly what is going on.

The Game of Thrones pilot is a good example. I seem to recall it was pretty meh, but it ended with the Bran window scene, that hooked people to invest and see what happened.

The good thing about streaming is that you can miss the first few episodes and once people start talking about it you can start and catch up in no time.

OMFG they did it, they gave Perrin Golden eyes! This has me so excited, I wasn’t really worried about the golden eyes thing, but I’m glad they went with it. :D

I am so glad they went with actual gold as well. I was afraid they would opt to go for yellow so it would be more noticeable.
I know right! They glow just the right way on that teaser. I don’t know if it’s CGI or Contact lenses, but it’s done so well!

There’s one major thing I’m not liking, and it’s not a deal breaker by any means, however the rumours about
Perrin having a wife that dies on Winternight
look like they may be true, if true, I hope it’s dealt with properly because I am no fan of that particular trope at all. :(

So ah, this happened.

If anything Prime are committed, that can only be a good thing.

I can’t wait to check out these shorts on Friday.

And apparently it is Friday, Prime Video AU/NZ said Wheel of Time airs around midday AEDT on Friday, I was worried we’d have to wait until Saturday.

Rated 18+ on Amazon Australia?

That seemed odd, even though I'm glad they're not cutting it right down to a PG show I am planning on watching this with my kids. To be honest WOT is far from one of the most adult fantasy series anyway and so they would have to be pushing really hard for the GOT crowd to get 18+.

But its TV-14 in America and 14-16 in most places so maybe just a quirk of Aussie classification.

Rated 18+ on Amazon Australia?

That seemed odd, even though I'm glad they're not cutting it right down to a PG show I am planning on watching this with my kids. To be honest WOT is far from one of the most adult fantasy series anyway and so they would have to be pushing really hard for the GOT crowd to get 18+.

But its TV-14 in America and 14-16 in most places so maybe just a quirk of Aussie classification.
Wow 18+ seems a bit steep. Judging by the trailers,
Winters Night is probably going to be brutal, and Eamon Valda does burn an Aes Sedai at the stake
however 18+ seems a bit steep, maybe M15+ I can understand.

Maybe Rand & Egwene get hot & heavy in a graphic sex scene? That could explain the 18+ rating. The trailers have already implied that they're an item, in yet another example of making unnecessary changes, relative to the book.

My money is still on Perrin as the TV series' Dragon Reborn, given all the other random changes.

My money is still on Perrin as the TV series' Dragon Reborn, given all the other random changes.

Rafe said in an interview the other day that it is still Rand. Adding the Egwene and Nynaeve is just their way of throwing viewers off the scent.

Rafe said in an interview the other day that it is still Rand. Adding the Egwene and Nynaeve is just their way of throwing viewers off the scent.
I'm still betting on Perrin. They've made so many other random changes, that any resemblance between the books & TV series is almost coincidental. Making Perrin the Dragon Reborn would fit perfectly into their pattern of random, unexpected, and unnecessary changes.

Well the London Premier is tomorrow and many of the US screenings are also tomorrow. I guess it’s only a matter of days until we find out for sure what has and hasn’t been changed over the next few days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back