Which AFL teams do Fitzroy fans support?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strangely a large percentage of Fitzroy Fans I knew could not support any other team so abandoned Aussie Rules completely and transferred their allegiances to the recently formed Melbourne Storm in the NRL

Fitzroy should make a comeback as the 2nd Victorian NRL team as the "Fitzroy Lions RLC"

Jersey to be exactly the same colours and design as the old AFL guernsey. Same club song, etc.

It's a different code of football, but at least there'll be a Fitzroy in the top flight of one of our national sports.

I'm a Storm fan but as a FFC (VAFA) member, I would totally get behind this.

Fitzroy should make a comeback as the 2nd Victorian NRL team as the "Fitzroy Lions RLC"

Jersey to be exactly the same colours and design as the old AFL guernsey. Same club song, etc.

It's a different code of football, but at least there'll be a Fitzroy in the top flight of one of our national sports.

I'm a Storm fan but as a FFC (VAFA) member, I would totally get behind this.
A left-field idea, but that would be fantastic if it happened, AJML.
I'm a member of the Fitzroy Reds in the VAFA, have a lukewarm interest in the Brisbane Lions and am passionate about East Perth in the WAFL.
When it comes to rugby league, I nominally follow Parramatta and Penrith and support Queensland in the State of Origin, but would be excited by a Fitzroy team in the NRL.
Stranger things (but not many) have happened.

A left-field idea, but that would be fantastic if it happened, AJML.
I'm a member of the Fitzroy Reds in the VAFA, have a lukewarm interest in the Brisbane Lions and am passionate about East Perth in the WAFL.
When it comes to rugby league, I nominally follow Parramatta and Penrith and support Queensland in the State of Origin, but would be excited by a Fitzroy team in the NRL.
Stranger things (but not many) have happened.

For me, I'd only get behind Brissy if Richmond or Port weren't in the finals. They can be my Queensland team. Although I seriously dig the Gold Coast song.

Strange things have happen. In regards to the NRL, I think they've truly missed out on an opportunity to have a local derby in Melbourne.

AFL may have most teams in Victoria, but we've spread out to all the mainland states and will soon have a team in Tassie and potentially the ACT.

Fitzroy was from day one my second side, and secretly number one side from 1981 till the end. Although I still followed Richmond.

Now I have no second side and go usually for the under dog or the the team that is behind in neutral games.

Fitzroy will always be my VAFA team. If they were in the AFL I would also consider them to be 2nd team, which Port Adelaide currently fills.

Fitzroy will always be my VAFA team. If they were in the AFL I would also consider them to be 2nd team, which Port Adelaide currently fills.
I live in Sweden so no VAFA for me.

I tried to support the ‘Roy’s by becoming a member but they had no payment offer for those living Internationally.

If Fitzroy returned to the AFL they would probably be my first team, or at least equal with Richmond.

If Fitzroy returned to the AFL they would probably be my first team, or at least equal with Richmond.

My dream is for the AFL to make a formal reserves league so that the modern VFL can become a proper state league of about 9-10 clubs with no reserves or affliations.

Fitzroy can play in that and get up to the calibire of powerhouse vfl clubs like Port Melbourne.

My dream is for the AFL to make a formal reserves league so that the modern VFL can become a proper state league of about 9-10 clubs with no reserves or affliations.

Fitzroy can play in that and get up to the calibire of powerhouse vfl clubs like Port Melbourne.
i always find sec team a strange one , who you go for when they play ea other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't understand why the Brisbane Lions can not just call their VFL team the "Fitzroy Lions", much like how the Western Bulldogs use the name Footscray for the VFL side.

Given that it is a (largely) Victorian league most of the away games are played in suburban Melbourne grounds, it would be a good way for the club to pay homage to the Fitzroy heritage.

Last edited:
I can't understand why the Brisbane Lions can not just call their VFL team the "Fitzroy Lions" just like how the Western Bulldogs use the name Footscray for the VFL side.

Maybe because the Fitzroy Football Club still exists in its own right. 140 years old tomorrow. (26th September). Played in a Grand Final on Saturday.

I can't understand why the Brisbane Lions can not just call their VFL team the "Fitzroy Lions" just like how the Western Bulldogs use the name Footscray for the VFL side.

Given that it is a (largely) Victorian league most of the away games are played in suburban Melbourne grounds, it would be a good way for the club to pay homage to the Fitzroy heritage.
I understand why you might say that, but it would create a clash with the actual Fitzroy club, which already plays essentially just one tier below VFL in the top grade metro Melbs footy.

Premier A (sounds better than 'Ammos") is it a better standard than VFL?
The radio commentator on saturday seemed think this

Premier A is very good. But having watched the Lions v Werribee VFL Prelim live and the VFL GF on TV it certainly doesn’t look to me like the quality has dropped so far in the VFL to put it below Premier A.

I can't understand why the Brisbane Lions can not just call their VFL team the "Fitzroy Lions", much like how the Western Bulldogs use the name Footscray for the VFL side.

Fitzroy Bears to honor both

Games in Queensland the orginal BB pyramid jumper.

Games in Victoria the FF jumper.

Games in NSW the BL jumper

If they called themselves Fitzroy Lions then it would clash with the actual FFC playing in VAFA A-Grade next year.

Wouldn't work even if Fitzroy joined the VFL as Brissy's affiliate because they'd have to be based in Brisbane, not Melbourne.

AFL reserves league should happen, and get Fitzroy into the VFL. Regain some prestige going semi-pro.

For me it was simple.

If its good enough for Kevin Murray its good enough for me or any Fitzroy supporter.

You often here the Fitzroy chant at Lions games in Melbourne.

The relationship between Fitzroy and the Brisbane Lions has never been stronger. Know the Lions president regularly attends Fitzroy games.

For me it was simple.

If its good enough for Kevin Murray its good enough for me or any Fitzroy supporter.

You often here the Fitzroy chant at Lions games in Melbourne.

The relationship between Fitzroy and the Brisbane Lions has never been stronger. Know the Lions president regularly attends Fitzroy games.
Do the Brisbane Lions offer any support to the Fitzroy Lions? Do they try to connect with Fitzroy community etc?

Do the Brisbane Lions offer any support to the Fitzroy Lions? Do they try to connect with Fitzroy community etc?
Spoke to the president of Fitzroy day after the GF last year who said 'the relationship between the Lions and Fitzroy has never been better than it us now' he also said Lions chairman Andrew Wellington cones to Fitzroy games when the Lions play in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back