Which AFL teams do Fitzroy fans support?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes local football for me, I can't even sit for two or more hours to watch it on TV anymore anyway. Fitzroy for me.

Last edited:
Nothing ex about Fitzroy supporters.

That's correct. Our famous old club still exists in its own right. We never 'died'. Still a current supporter and current member of THE Fitzroy Football Club.

Thread title edited accordingly.

Yes local football for me, I can't even sit for two or more hours to watch it on TV anymore anyway. Fitzroy for me.

I second this. I would struggle to sit in the plastic chairs of the MCG these days when the opportunity allows to stand behind the goals at one of the most picturesque grounds in Melbourne.

If we change to the Richmond Ligers, will anyone come over to punt road ?

Just kidding, I wouldn't support anything to do with the AFL if I was a Fitzroy supporter.
Hahaha ... no :p

Nah that's the whole point for me. I spent a lot of time gestating dislike for all the opposing clubs, I couldn't marry into a family of "those other people"!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's correct. Our famous old club still exists in its own right. We never 'died'. Still a current supporter and current member of THE Fitzroy Football Club.

Thread title edited accordingly.
Hey Roy, how did that transition go down for Fitzroy. From AFL/VFL to the division side still going today?. Were they able to just kick start the next season or was there complications. Is the current Fitzroy side recognised as the team of old?

Carlton hasn't won a premiership since Fizroy left and we won our 16th and last in Fizroy's 2nd last year. Bring the mighty Lions back.

Does anyone support Brisbane or are they the enemy?

Hey Roy, how did that transition go down for Fitzroy. From AFL/VFL to the division side still going today?. Were they able to just kick start the next season or was there complications. Is the current Fitzroy side recognised as the team of old?

After an administrator was appointed to Fitzroy in June 1996 to recover Nauru's $1.25 million debt and the AFL withdrew Fitzroy's licence thus removing them from the competition, the administrator of Fitzroy moved out in 1997 and control of the Club was returned to the elected Fitzroy directors and shareholders.

As soon as the Club came out of administration the Fitzroy directors resolved to continue the club (which is why the occasional statement that Fitzroy now just exists as a company, or an ACN is not correct). The Club started once again taking ordinary membership subscriptions again with the aim of re-establishing a football team on the field (which they had done by 2009).

So Fitzroy Football Club was effectively a continuing club in recess as many VFL-AFL clubs had been in recess in the late 1910s and 1940s.

From 1997 to 2008 the Fitzroy Football Club accumulated assets such as the establishing of a Shop for merchandise, trademarking available logos such as the "FFC" logo, which the AFL had never trademarked (and even if they had) had allowed it to fall into disuse, and other revenue streams.

In 1999, the Club now boosted by a small revenue stream from memberships and the newly established 'Fitzroy Shop', (which still trades and has been loaning out Fitzroy memorabilia for the Jack Irish series on the ABC) became the naming rights sponsor of the Coburg Lions in the VFL. For two years, in 1999-2000, the Coburg-Fitzroy Lions competed in the VFL wearing the Fitzroy jumper for away games. However Richmond ended that arrangement with their own alignment with Coburg, who temporarily re-named themselves the 'Coburg Tigers'.

In December 2008, at the instigation of the then Reds president Craig Little, the University Reds Football Club (known as the Fitzroy Reds from 1997) transferred all its assets to the Fitzroy Football Club Ltd. The University (Fitzroy) Reds terminated its membership of the VAFA and was wound up as a incorporated company. By special dispensation from the VAFA, the Fitzroy Football Club then replaced the Fitzroy Reds in D-Grade VAFA. Dyson Hore-Lacy, chairman of Fitzroy in 1996, remained as chairman of the Club in the VAFA. Therefore the club that exists in the VAFA today is the same club that was formed in 1883 and competed for a hundred years in the VFL/AFL.

Now Fitzroy Football Club plays in B-Grade (Premier B) and hopes to get to A-Grade (Premier) in the next few years.

The "Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club" is the name of a company "Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Ltd." that was changed in name by a vote of the members of the "Brisbane Bears Football Club Ltd." at the end of 1996. That company holds an AFL licence and is licenced to enter a team in the AFL competition. They trade as the Brisbane Lions

The Fitzroy Lion logo is trademarked by the AFL and can only be used with permission. The AFL have granted "Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Ltd." (trading as the Brisbane Lions) the right to use it's Lion trademark.

In 2010, Victorian Supreme Court Associate Justice Nemeer Mukhtar found that the Fitzroy Football Club still existed in its own right in the VAFA and was independent of the Brisbane Lions. Even the Brisbane Lions argued that fact, in trying to distance themselves in what they saw as Fitzroy's " interference" in resisting the Lions' logo change from the Fitzroy Lion to the 'paddlepop' lion. The document between Fitzroy signed against the will of the Fitzroy directors by the Fitzroy administrator in 1996, the Brisbane Bears/Lions and the AFL (known as the Deed of Arrangement - the full copy is on the Fitzroy board) was found to confirm the same.

Last edited:
After an administrator was appointed to Fitzroy in June 1996 to recover Nauru's $1.25 million debt and the AFL withdrew Fitzroy's licence thus removing them from the competition, the administrator of Fitzroy moved out in 1997 and control of the Club was returned to the elected Fitzroy directors and shareholders.

As soon as the Club came out of administration the Fitzroy directors resolved to continue the club (which is why the occasional statement that Fitzroy now just exists as a company, or an ACN is not correct). The Club started once again taking ordinary membership subscriptions again with the aim of re-establishing a football team on the field (which they had done by 2009).

So Fitzroy Football Club was effectively a continuing club in recess as many VFL-AFL clubs had been in recess in the late 1910s and 1940s.

From 1997 to 2008 the Fitzroy Football Club accumulated assets such as the establishing of a Shop for merchandise, trademarking available logos such as the FFC logo, which the AFL had never trademarked (and even if they had) had allowed it to fall into disuse, and other revenue streams.

In 1999, the Club now boosted by a small revenue stream from memberships and the newly established 'Fitzroy Shop', (which still trades and has been loaning out Fitzroy memorabilia for the Jack Irish series on the ABC) became the naming rights sponsor of the Coburg Lions in the VFL. For two years, in 1999-2000, the Coburg-Fitzroy Lions competed in the VFL wearing the Fitzroy jumper for away games. However Richmond ended that arrangement with their own alignment with Coburg, who temporarily re-named themselves the 'Coburg Tigers'.

In December 2008, at the instigation of the then Reds president Craig Little, the University Reds Football Club (known as the Fitzroy Reds from 1997) transferred all its assets to the Fitzroy Football Club Ltd. The University (Fitzroy) Reds terminated its membership of the VAFA and was wound up as a incorporated company. By special dispensation from the VAFA, the Fitzroy Football Club then replaced the Fitzroy Reds in D-Grade VAFA. Dyson Hore-Lacy, chairman of Fitzroy in 1996, remained as chairman of the Club in the VAFA. Therefore the club that exists in the VAFA today is the same club that was formed in 1883 and competed for a hundred years in the VFL/AFL.

Now Fitzroy Football Club plays in B-Grade (Premier B) and hopes to get to A-Grade (Premier) in the next few years.

In 2010, Victorian Supreme Court Associate Justice Nemeer Mukhtar found that the Fitzroy Football Club still existed in its own right in the VAFA and was independent of the Brisbane Lions. Even the Brisbane Lions argued that fact, in trying to distance themselves in what they saw as Fitzroy's " interference" in resisting the Lions' logo change from the Fitzroy Lion to the 'paddlepop' lion. The document between Fitzroy signed against the will of the Fitzroy directors by the Fitzroy administrator in 1996, the Brisbane Bears/Lions and the AFL (known as the Deed of Arrangement - the full copy is on this board) was found to confirm the same.
Thanks mate, that's an incredible journey. Shocking that a club has been forced to fight so hard to remain. A credit to you boys. I can see why a lot never switched over to the Brisbane lions. It would be awesome if one day the vafa roys made it to the VFL as a stand alone side.

Thanks mate, that's an incredible journey. Shocking that a club has been forced to fight so hard to remain. A credit to you boys. I can see why a lot never switched over to the Brisbane lions. It would be awesome if one day the vafa roys made it to the VFL as a stand alone side.

It would be nice to see Fitzroy in the top echelon of Victorian football again (i.e. VFL) but I can't see it happening.

Many Fitzroy people support Brisbane because they see them as the vehicle to continue recognising Fitzroy on a national level. I'm one of them. There have been some bumps along the road, but by and large the Lions have done quite a good job.

Strangely a large percentage of Fitzroy Fans I knew could not support any other team so abandoned Aussie Rules completely and transferred their allegiances to the recently formed Melbourne Storm in the NRL

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back