Prediction Which ex-GWS players will make it?

Which of these ex-GWS players will come good?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was always bullish about Plowman but the other three players have been pleasantly surprising. It looks like Plowman could become an integral part of our side when we push for finals and the other three may be good 17-22 type players.
Looks like this trade could be a winner at this early point

Quietly confident that Sumner could be a bit better than that. Former pick 10 who has only played 16 games and never got a reasonable run at it due to injuries. Development wise, he's about a second year, not to mention the fact he didn't have a preseason this year. Signs are very positive imo.

Can't make that call - because the poor bloke has been injured when he arrived and is now injured again - early on Bolton was giving him opportunity - more than Jacksh has earned so far..it is all a bit weird with Jacksh - we need a tall up front and we have needed talls down back - and Jacksh doesn't get a look in.
Has he even been named as an emergency Jaksch?

The reality is, if he was good enough he'd be knocking on the door. He's a supposed swing man so if we have holes in the side he should be in the mix. He's not. The next month will be interesting with no Kreuzer or Casboult. It'll be his time to get on the park.

Quietly confident that Sumner could be a bit better than that. Former pick 10 who has only played 16 games and never got a reasonable run at it due to injuries. Development wise, he's about a second year, not to mention the fact he didn't have a preseason this year. Signs are very positive imo.
You feel like if he had a pre season he would an extra burst of speed and he's probably a little bit undersized but that's also due to age. Very nice chase down tackle and he showed plenty of toe there and then went back and slotted it with absolute confidence. No doubt at all with his goal kicking he slotted a nice snap last week as well. Very balanced and the reality is he's good and he has room for growth on that so we can expect even more from him IMHO.

Has he even been named as an emergency Jaksch?

The reality is, if he was good enough he'd be knocking on the door. He's a supposed swing man so if we have holes in the side he should be in the mix. He's not. The next month will be interesting with no Kreuzer or Casboult. It'll be his time to get on the park.
KJ was second best on ground for the Northern Blues last week so is knocking down the door at the right time.

Hope he gets a game this week and a few weeks to get to AFL game speed - as he has been improving in the Twos.

Pretty obvious isn't it?

Plowman/Sumner/Lamb/Phillips are all starting players under Bolton - Jacksh continues to be not considered....

say no more.
after the weekends game i was having sms discussion with my old man (rusted old school blue bagger who has some ties to the club that he gets some inside info through).
We were discussing Casboult going down and I mentioned I would like to see Jaksch come in as his replacement and to see what he can do... My old man scoffed at the the suggestion saying he's a pea heart that probably wont ever get a game in the firsts again. I was a little suprised that he said that but again knowing his insights i take it on board.
Considering I live so far away I rely on what I read on here and what my dad tells me, from what I've read on here a lot are dissatisfied with his efforts and now to hear it from dad tells me he's basically done.... hmmmmmm....if thats the case what a shame!
But all things considered with player injuries etc and as long as his body is ok I don't see why he can't get another crack at it.

after the weekends game i was having sms discussion with my old man (rusted old school blue bagger who has some ties to the club that he gets some inside info through).
We were discussing Casboult going down and I mentioned I would like to see Jaksch come in as his replacement and to see what he can do... My old man scoffed at the the suggestion saying he's a pea heart that probably wont ever get a game in the firsts again. I was a little suprised that he said that but again knowing his insights i take it on board.
Considering I live so far away I rely on what I read on here and what my dad tells me, from what I've read on here a lot are dissatisfied with his efforts and now to hear it from dad tells me he's basically done.... hmmmmmm....if thats the case what a shame!
But all things considered with player injuries etc and as long as his body is ok I don't see why he can't get another crack at it.
Nek minnut, is in the team on Thursday.

KJ was second best on ground for the Northern Blues last week so is knocking down the door at the right time.

Hope he gets a game this week and a few weeks to get to AFL game speed - as he has been improving in the Twos.

I guess the above two quotes pretty much summarize the polar views on Jacksh - we really needed him to be in contention for a spot - but the more things drag on the more it looks like his papers might be stamped already - a bit of a waste for all if that is the case - if Bolton can't get him performing to ability - then it is a shame.

I hope he comes on. Another KPP especially with Jamison seemingly losing his dependability down back and reaching that age will be super important to the health of our list. If hes a bust it leaves us vulnerable. Weitering, Plowman, Rowe and a competitive Jaksch as our talls down back and Casboult, Jones, McKay and Silvagni in the future up forward is what we are looking at at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was very big on the addition of Plowman and Sumner when the deal came through. That optimism has been repaid, both will be good carlton players, Plowman a very good Carlton player.
Lamb I was very dubious about, but he has come in and done everything right, I think exposure at AFL level might show us why he was so highly drafted and why he was chased after on a bit of decent coin to GWS.
Phillips was always very meat and potatoes in my mind, he hasn't done anything wrong and hasn't changed that view at the same time, will be a decent back up to Kreuzer for a while, maybe even ply in tandem.
Whiley was always limited, I never had high hopes and really didn't like his inclusion in the Jaksch deal, he won't make it past this contract at the club.
Jaksch, I had huge wraps on, he hasn't delivered so far, but I have faith.

Plowman. -. Been steady in defence without starring - Seems composed under pressure, and fitting in well with other defenders. -. Can only improve with more game time. Yes.

Sumner -. Clever and creative player who provides a lot of dash. Desperate tackle in our forward 50, at a crucial time in game resulted in turnover and resultant goal. Shows he can handle pressure. Only knock on him is he is not a great accumulater of the ball, and could try to improve in this area. Yes.
Jaksch. -. High draft pick who hasn't lived up to his potential. Been on AFL list for about 4 years now and struggling at both AFL & VFL level. How much more to.time does he need to show something. IMO a bit slow and lacks intensity. No.
Whiley -. See Jaksch above. No.
Phillips -. Wasn't sure this was a good decision at first, but slowly improved with game time. Excellent around the ground, and good contested mark. Last few games before his injury were excellent and on par with Kreuz' output. A keeper. Yes.
Lamb. -. Very similar to Sumner, has held his place in the senior team, knows where and when to run an position himself. Has kicked goals a crucial times in winning games. Been unlucky with no frees, and dropped chest marks on occasions. Drifts in and out of games and not a big accumulater of the ball, and could improve with time. Never be an Eddie or a Jeffy, but doing enough to suggest he'll make it with continued application.

Jaksch, I had huge wraps on, he hasn't delivered so far, but I have faith.

faithwiggle.gif

Nek minnut, is in the team on Thursday.
haha...would not surprise me one bit...
i still think he is young enough to persevere with for a bit longer - for my mind he has this year and next to make a statement. by the end of next year he will be 23/24 and we should see something from a tall by then...even a glimpse!

Plowman. -. looks like a vital cog in our newly emerging defense. Should be judged based on his interrupted preparation as well which bumps his performance to date up even higher

Sumner -. Looks like he could be just what we need. Small forward that puts great defensive pressure on the opposition defenders, and can run through the midfield. His goal kicking is very good and thats what we need. Once he gets his fitness to where it needs to be , we have another potential midfielder/small forward to go with Wright.
Jaksch. -. Has shown glimpses. I think he will come good -with some more guidance from the coaches. He needs to add more fitness and strength which is coming slowly
Whiley -. A bit rustic in his performances. Doubt he will make it- we need more class in our midfield.
Phillips -. I am not convinced yet. He seems a bit light in the lower body, and seems easily moved off the ball.
Lamb. -. I am not sure where his best position is. it seems that with another draft , with more smalls coming in, that he may become a depth player

We did get their first rounder from memory in return which gave us Harry McKay so with the pick next year being like to be at best 15 we did alright with that.
Turned out to be a REALLY lopsided trade in hindsight. I know GWS had their reasons, but they effectively let us upgrade the Geelong pick from mid to late teens up to pick 8, then gave us Plowman, Phillips, Sumner and Lamb for #28 and a couple of really late picks that we didn't need and they used for academy points.

I think we are one KPD off setting up our defence for the next 10 years with Weitering and Plowman. Marchbank would be ideal imo :)

Players that went before him that we could have taken - Paul Ahern, Peter Wright, Nakia Cockatoo, Liam Duggan, Corey Ellis, Lachlan Weller, Jake Lever, Jarrod Garlett, Sam Durdin.

:sleepy:

Plowman's a lock .
Jaksch has to take his chance NOW , the door may well open for him this week and he has to kick it down !
Phillips has his place on our ever revolving ruck roster .
Lamb's going ok , take it to the next level again and stay !
I like the look of Sumner , got a bit of campaigner about him , he's a footballer and doesn't blink under pressure in front of goal .
Sadly Whiley just can't cut it at AFL level ... got no tricks .

Turned out to be a REALLY lopsided trade in hindsight. I know GWS had their reasons, but they effectively let us upgrade the Geelong pick from mid to late teens up to pick 8, then gave us Plowman, Phillips, Sumner and Lamb for #28 and a couple of really late picks that we didn't need and they used for academy points.
they got Hopper though, and he is a jet, as well as Kennedy, so it's certainly not bad for them. And it also got the Lamb contract of their books which they couldn't hold any more.

This is going to sound like a long bow to draw (probably because it is!)...

In KJ's 'welcome to Carlton' video he was a skinny kid talking about how stoked he was to be back in Melbourne living with his parents (in Hawthorn, IIRC) and being close to his mates, rather than how determined he was to wear the navy blue, be the best player he could be, ect ect (insert Docherty-esque statement here). He came across as someone who was just happy to be there, and other posters made this observation at the time.

This is going to sound like a long bow to draw (probably because it is!)...

In KJ's 'welcome to Carlton' video he was a skinny kid talking about how stoked he was to be back in Melbourne living with his parents (in Hawthorn, IIRC) and being close to his mates, rather than how determined he was to wear the navy blue, be the best player he could be, ect ect (insert Docherty-esque statement here). He came across as someone who was just happy to be there, and other posters made this observation at the time.
would love to see the kid come on and be a presence in the afl....but as each game, week, month and season passes it feels less likely - would be a shame if we've seen the best of him already.

would love to see the kid come on and be a presence in the afl....but as each game, week, month and season passes it feels less likely - would be a shame if we've seen the best of him already.

Best was a pre-season game and a game against us.
He could be a replacement this week for Cas (NB forward line of Jaksch/Jones reunited) and hopefully he takes any opportunity on board to excel in the absence.

Really enjoying Sumner's little efforts here and there. Baby steps with his fitness but applying pressure and a handy kick for goal.

Plow will be a mainstay of our younger defenders and a good crop to commence with.

Lamb is improving each week and can see him being a handy forward (spells in the midfield) with continued application.

Phillips has been steady before injury but would have liked to see him take the # 1 ruck in Kreuz's absence to really gauge.

All in all, a pretty good pick.

Back