Opinion Which Past Player Are We Missing From Our Current List

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that GJD23! Three of the best Saints games I have ever been to. I can still remember the noise when Danny Hughes was dragged at Moorabbin as Plugger lined up for yet another goal. The Gabba with the dog track still in situ and then the SCG the following week.

Lockett ended up kicking 10 goals or more six times that year (having missed the first six rounds), then followed it up with 9 in the Elimination Final against Geelong. I reckon I might have been lucky to have seen every St Kilda game that year.* Certainly I was at the three interstate matches (Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide) and I haven't been to that many interstate matches in a season before or after that 1991 season.

It was a great Saints team to follow especially after a miserable run in the 80s.

* Edit: Just had a close look at the '91 fixture and I didn't go to the Eagles match in Perth. I've never seen the Saints play in Perth :(. The other three interstate games I mentioned were the ones Plugger kicked 10 or more.
Yeah and ended up kicking a career best 127 goals in that season too. Unbelievable he was.

Milne is the one.

Midfielders can be found but drafting the #1 small forward of all time is a touch harder. How many elite level small forwards are there in the comp? 3? 4?

Betts
Rioli
Wingard

Does Stevie J count? More midsize and plays in the middle at times. Ballantyne? Walters?

We can draft mids for days but a set and forget crumbing/marking small forward like Milney would be amazing right now.

You should watch 'Tour De Lockett' on YouTube mate. Over a span of 3 games in 1991 Plugger kicked 34 goals. Highlights of those games are just extraordinary.
Amazing, unbelievable, once in a lifetime player....and here comes a rant!
I hate it when commentators & especially Swans supporters say that firstly he was better at Sydney & secondly that they MADE him a "better player". Maybe his temperament improved there but probably more to do with him being a bit older and smarter than his turbulent days at Moorabbin
Anyone who saw his games at the Saints would know that he couldn't have nor could ANY-ONE have played any better than Lockett did at Stkilda.
I try and explain to my kids how good he was but it is difficult, even the video doesn't do him justice.
I think that for me, the thing that explains it best were our half time Social Club discussions.
He was so good and so dominant that we would be talking about the couple of times the ball went near him and HE DIDN'T GET IT....every time it went near him we expected him to get possession regardless of his opponent.
Anyone who saw him kick 10 on the full back of the Century Steve Silvagni will understand.
Makes me disappointed I never saw Coleman play as apparently he was the same (but sat on shoulders).
PS He was also the best short pass in the side, they were like bullets. Harvey may have been better at dropping the ball into space but Plugger was the master of the quick short pass even though he didn't need to do it much.

PS He was also the best short pass in the side, they were like bullets. Harvey may have been better at dropping the ball into space but Plugger was the master of the quick short pass even though he didn't need to do it much.

Yep! Thought you had the big full-forward out on the boundary, out of harms way then he'd turn on a sixpence and, as Big Carl said, bullet pass to a St Kilda player in range of goal.

Banger won two Brownlows, Rooey has led us in two Grand Finals plus a replay and captained the side forever but Plugger won a Brownlow and kicked bags when we were an ordinary team. An extraordinary player.

Imagine we had Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett all kicking goals at the same time. An great era to be a footy fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winmar would be rather handy.

Sir Lenny Hayes and King Robert Harvey

7 B&Fs
11 AA selections
2 Brownlows
1 Norm Smith

Lenny and Harves

Lenny for the grunt and accumulation and Harves for the gut running and 20m short pass that hits Paddy every time

Those two archetypes are what will take us to the next level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back