Which rivalry would you rate as the biggest in the AFL?

The biggest rivalry in the AFL?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

VineyToClark

Senior List
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Which rivalry do you think is the biggest?

I've listed what are believed to be the top rivalries in the game so feel free to suggest others if you believe the biggest AFL rivalry is missing from the poll.

The 4 arguments I’d expect

Adelaide - port adelaide for hate
Hawthorn - Geelong for recent close games
Carlton - Collingwood for history

And I might see some Collingwood - Richmond for the membership/crowd shitfights too

Anything else is one of these 4 in miniature and an insult to me to even be in the breath as the showdown,

historically:

Carlton v Collingwood historically is the greatest rivalry. It has everything, hatred between the fans, hatred between the players, epic games on big stages (grand finals etc), geographic proximity.
honourable mentions:
Collingwood v Richmond, Carlton v Essendon, Carlton v Richmond, Essendon v Hawthorn

I think since 2000 though the SA showdown has developed into probably the most intense rivalry overall (not just for a bunch of on field classic games, but for the animosity between fans and players also, and how much it means to defeat or humilate your rival), so Im voting for that, Essendon v Hawthorn probably just behind.

Last edited:
historically

Carlton v Collingwood historically is the greatest rivalry. It has everything, hatred between the fans, hatred between the players, epic games on big stages (grand finals etc), geographic proximity.
honourable mentions:
Collingwood v Richmond, Carlton v Essendon, Carlton v Richmond, Essendon v Hawthorn

I think since 2000 though the SA showdown has developed into probably the most intense rivalry overall (not just for a bunch of on field classic games, but for the animosity between fans and players also, and how much it means to defeat or humilate your rival), so Im voting for that, Essendon v Hawthorn probably just behind.
Pretty much nailed it.

I think some of the heat is actually going out if the showdown though. I've notlced amongst the younger generation it's becoming common to acknowlege the other sides right to exist, which wasn't the case traditionally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much nailed it.

I think some of the heat is actually going out if the showdown though. I've notlced amongst the younger generation it's becoming common to acknowlege the other sides right to exist, which wasn't the case traditionally.

Think the AFL has to take the blame for that mostly along with the higher professional standards. Being fined for breathing on a player is enough to stopa lot of the smalltime stuff. The fear of being rubbed out gets most of the big stuff.

Add to that the fact that there are cameras everywhere so you cant drop a knee in or anything and the days of pressure being put on you to hate a particular club are gone. Most players are now mates whereas in bygone eras they might legit hate each other.

Its better this way on the one hand but you lose a lot of something on the other.

I think the showdown wins less for the onfield shenanigans (there are none) and more for what goes on in the town and supporter groups as others say

Think the AFL has to take the blame for that mostly along with the higher professional standards. Being fined for breathing on a player is enough to stopa lot of the smalltime stuff. The fear of being rubbed out gets most of the big stuff.

Add to that the fact that there are cameras everywhere so you cant drop a knee in or anything and the days of pressure being put on you to hate a particular club are gone. Most players are now mates whereas in bygone eras they might legit hate each other.

Its better this way on the one hand but you lose a lot of something on the other.

I think the showdown wins less for the onfield shenanigans (there are none) and more for what goes on in the town and supporter groups as others say
Which monumentally misses my point, which was about the hate amongst supporters declining.

If Bigfooty is any measure, then the SA teams take some beating for sheer malevolence
No other rivalry is quite like it. Long before the VFL came to town there was really a Port v the rest of SA rivalry. Add to that the shenanigans of the first AFL licence, which actually saw a unanimous vote amongst clubs to kick Port out if the SA league at one point.

My sense from people I know is the hate is slowly being bred out though. Younger gen relatives are more likely to wish Port well against interstate clubs, which is unthinkable to my generation.

No other rivalry is quite like it. Long before the VFL came to town there was really a Port v the rest of SA rivalry. Add to that the shenanigans of the first AFL licence, which actually saw a unanimous vote amongst clubs to kick Port out if the SA league at one point.

My sense from people I know is the hate is slowly being bred out though. Younger gen relatives are more likely to wish Port well against interstate clubs, which is unthinkable to my generation.
For Port’s first ever AFL match, in 97 v Collingwood at the MCG, didn’t some Adelaide(Norwood?) fans drive all the way over just to barrack against Port?

I can't believe this is on the mainboard and not everyone has voted Collingwood v West Coast. That is the most recent rivalry. Therefore it should be the biggest as far as mainboarders are concerned.

My 2019 mainboard predictions are:

Geelong, Hawthorn Sydney to slide
Carlton, Gold Coast, St Kilda to replace them in the 8
Tom Lynch to kick 100 goals
Cripps Brownlow

Impressive that hawks v cats is even rater as it’s comparatively transient. I suspect there’s not animosity between playing groups like some rivalries past and present

Perhaps I don't have a full appreciation as a non South Australian (or I just differ in what I think constitutes a rivalry) but I don't think Adelaide vs Port should be No 1.

Here is my rationale:

1. They have never played off for the ultimate prize - Geelong and Hawthorn as just one example have played in 4 GF's, one many consider the greatest of all time and another the biggest upset of all time. Coll and Carl have played in MANY, including biggest comeback and other storied controversies, Ess v Haw (3 straight), etc. Never once playing for a flag surely takes some heat off.

2. They have only played in 1 final ever, a boring 83 point thrashing of 1st vs 8th. Basically, there have been no games of any real consequence between the 2. Compare that to other rivalries above where there have been numerous close finals, heart breaks, etc.

3. As far as I can recall, there have been no significant spiteful clashes between the 2. Hawthorn and Essendon had the 'line in the sand' brawl and the Lloyd/Sewell fiasco after a long line of incidents, Coll and Carl have had a number of notorious brawls, including arguably the biggest ever (which was in a GF). Geel/Haw has Matthews/Bruns, 89GF (several famous incidents), etc. On field has always been pretty meek between these two as far as I can see.

4. No storied off field controversies between the 2 clubs themselves (at least not on a national level that I can recall) - Geel and Haw had Kennet's curse, Chappy's pact and a bunch of others, Ess vs Haw have had heaps including police involvement, etc. Can't even think of any big trade controversies between the 2.

5. Relatively short history - Whilst I understand that Port were a dominant force in the SANFL, Adelaide didn't even exist in that competition. Port's rivalries were with Norwood, Sturt, West Torrens, etc which are separate clubs entirely and still playing in the SANFL (incidentally against Port). Hell, I know many Port supporters who supported Adelaide in the AFL and Port in the SANFL until Port were admitted.

6. No real history of close hard fought encounters or even being good at the same time - Whilst 2018 produced 2 crackers between port and Adelaide, go back 5 or 6 games and the average margin blows out past 5 goals (including the 2 close ones from last year). Until last year, the teams had only played twice EVER in matches decided by less than a goal (in 40 something 'showdowns')! and neither have finished in the top 4 together. Compare that to say, Hawthorn and Geelong, who were both basically top 4 for a decade and had about 15 games in a row decided by 2 goals or less (something like that anyway).

The only rivalry I see is that they share a footy mad town and so supporters of both clubs enjoy the demise (or 'one up manship') of (or over) the other. Nothing really between the clubs themselves and certainly no different to basically all the other rivalries where supporters dislike each other.

I seem to remember reports of a port v crows fracas in a pub during the Riccuito days.

Also reports that in the eighties, hawks and bombers wouldn’t even converse when on the same SOO team

Perhaps I don't have a full appreciation as a non South Australian (or I just differ in what I think constitutes a rivalry) but I don't think Adelaide vs Port should be No 1.

Here is my rationale:

1. They have never played off for the ultimate prize - Geelong and Hawthorn as just one example have played in 4 GF's, one many consider the greatest of all time and another the biggest upset of all time. Coll and Carl have played in MANY, including biggest comeback and other storied controversies, Ess v Haw (3 straight), etc. Never once playing for a flag surely takes some heat off.

2. They have only played in 1 final ever, a boring 83 point thrashing of 1st vs 8th. Basically, there have been no games of any real consequence between the 2. Compare that to other rivalries above where there have been numerous close finals, heart breaks, etc.

3. As far as I can recall, there have been no significant spiteful clashes between the 2. Hawthorn and Essendon had the 'line in the sand' brawl and the Lloyd/Sewell fiasco after a long line of incidents, Coll and Carl have had a number of notorious brawls, including arguably the biggest ever (which was in a GF). Geel/Haw has Matthews/Bruns, 89GF (several famous incidents), etc. On field has always been pretty meek between these two as far as I can see.

4. No storied off field controversies between the 2 clubs themselves (at least not on a national level that I can recall) - Geel and Haw had Kennet's curse, Chappy's pact and a bunch of others, Ess vs Haw have had heaps including police involvement, etc. Can't even think of any big trade controversies between the 2.

5. Relatively short history - Whilst I understand that Port were a dominant force in the SANFL, Adelaide didn't even exist in that competition. Port's rivalries were with Norwood, Sturt, West Torrens, etc which are separate clubs entirely and still playing in the SANFL (incidentally against Port). Hell, I know many Port supporters who supported Adelaide in the AFL and Port in the SANFL until Port were admitted.

6. No real history of close hard fought encounters or even being good at the same time - Whilst 2018 produced 2 crackers between port and Adelaide, go back 5 or 6 games and the average margin blows out past 5 goals (including the 2 close ones from last year). Until last year, the teams had only played twice EVER in matches decided by less than a goal (in 40 something 'showdowns')! and neither have finished in the top 4 together. Compare that to say, Hawthorn and Geelong, who were both basically top 4 for a decade and had about 15 games in a row decided by 2 goals or less (something like that anyway).

The only rivalry I see is that they share a footy mad town and so supporters of both clubs enjoy the demise (or 'one up manship') of (or over) the other. Nothing really between the clubs themselves and certainly no different to basically all the other rivalries where supporters dislike each other.
I supported the Bays as a youngster, but like most I had two teams. Mine and whoever played Port in the GF. Even the Double Blues.

Does a punch up in a pub between the playing groups count as an offfield drama?

I seem to remember reports of a port v crows fracas in a pub during the Riccuito days.

Also reports that in the eighties, hawks and bombers wouldn’t even converse when on the same SOO team

Ahh, yes - thanks for the reminder. The infamous 'Ramsgate Hotel incident'. That certainly was an off field clash that added to the rivalry.

Essendon and Hawthorn were so spiteful in the 80's - the Sheedy/Jeans drug allegations probably the worst of it but also Dermie/Van der Haar and so many others.

Back