Whisk(e)y Thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any tips for a novice getting into the world of whiskey? Only ever really had it with dry and the odd glass of Blue Label on a special occasion (bogan). Any tips? Still feels kind of weird drinking anything on the rocks

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Any tips for a novice getting into the world of whiskey? Only ever really had it with dry and the odd glass of Blue Label on a special occasion (bogan). Any tips? Still feels kind of weird drinking anything on the rocks
Honestly think one of the best things about whisky is the lack of rules. What someone likes others may hate.

It’s worth going to a good whisky bar and just doing a few different drams. Try some peated, try some Japanese florals, try some red wine and port casks. See what you prefer. Try a single malt then a blend. Just have a crack.

FWIW blue label ain’t s**t and no one I know that enjoys whisky rates it.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal

Have a look on Dan Murphys website and find a bottle or two that's in the $70-$100 price range to try out. Look for something that has a softer palette or alternately something peaty to explore. Avoid lower tier whisky (Ballantines, Canadian Club, Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker) for now, as they have their own special place in the lineup but it's not for starting your whisky journey.

The trick to whisky is being able to fully explore it and there's three main stages to it, the nose, palette and finish. Google the tasting notes for whatever whisky you purchase and there will be plenty of run downs of what you may be able to smell and taste in terms of flavours.

My recommended entry level whiskies are as follows:
Monkey shoulder - light vanilla, toffee and fruit
Balvenie 12 - spices, nutty, oak
Talisker 10 - pepper, smokey, peat
GlenDronach 12 - raisins, cinnamon, stewed fruit
Suntory Chita - honey, citrus, honeydew

The important thing to know is you'll develop preferences over time, and while you may not enjoy each and every whisky initially that's ok, there's plenty out there that you will like. Something lke the Glenmorangie Expressions Tasting Pack may also be worth a look, as it gives you a chance to try four different whiskies without needing to buy a bottle of each.

1609609981727.png

Got this as a Xmas present - sweet taste so i use lots of ice and lemon, lime and bitters or lemon/lime Solo to make a nice summer drink - nice!!!!!

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
You can literally go and try 4-5 glasses of good whisky at a bar, with someone who knows what they are doing and recommending for $100.

I’m not trying to be a dick but go to a bar and have a couple glasses, chat to the Barman, plenty of good whisky bars in the city (even if you’re not in Melbourne)
Or just go to Dan Murphy's and use their tasting bar. They can give you three (or more if you are lucky) different options to taste in your price range and that fit what flavour profile you like.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Recently purchased the Johnnie Walker range for a blind whisky taste testing night and got a chance to review them afterwards. Synopsis below:

For the price point there are better whiskies out there than Blue Label (Glenmorangie, Glendronach, Dalwhinnie) but if you’re someone who isn’t a whisky drinker and you buy a bottle of Blue Label to celebrate your wedding/first child/getting out of prison you wouldn’t be disappointed by the choice.

The general consensus in whisky circles is that Green Label is the best value for money in the range, and they’re absolutely spot on in that opinion. The bolder for me was Double Black, which was better than expected and is my new default choice for bars that have a bad whisky selection.

The Red Label is trash, you should only drink it if it’s free or there’s nothing else available, but please mix it with something when consumed. Blue Label is the best of the lot, but at AU$194 a bottle it won’t be finding its way onto my shelf anytime soon unless it comes in the form of a gift. The Green Label was a joy to discover and for the price point will now feature heavily in my daily drinker list.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Have a look on Dan Murphys website and find a bottle or two that's in the $70-$100 price range to try out. Look for something that has a softer palette or alternately something peaty to explore. Avoid lower tier whisky (Ballantines, Canadian Club, Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker) for now, as they have their own special place in the lineup but it's not for starting your whisky journey.

The trick to whisky is being able to fully explore it and there's three main stages to it, the nose, palette and finish. Google the tasting notes for whatever whisky you purchase and there will be plenty of run downs of what you may be able to smell and taste in terms of flavours.

My recommended entry level whiskies are as follows:
Monkey shoulder - light vanilla, toffee and fruit
Balvenie 12 - spices, nutty, oak
Talisker 10 - pepper, smokey, peat
GlenDronach 12 - raisins, cinnamon, stewed fruit
Suntory Chita - honey, citrus, honeydew

The important thing to know is you'll develop preferences over time, and while you may not enjoy each and every whisky initially that's ok, there's plenty out there that you will like. Something lke the Glenmorangie Expressions Tasting Pack may also be worth a look, as it gives you a chance to try four different whiskies without needing to buy a bottle of each.
This is a banging line up

Monkey Shoulder for what it is, amazing.

Jakko

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I have a bottle of Aultmore of the Foggy Moss 12yo currently, very nice. Generally I try 1 or 2 bottles of something different in the $100 range a year, apart from that its looking for specials in the 55-60 range for general drinking.

Singleton, Auchentoshan American Oak, Ardmore (slight peat smoke is as much as I can handle) among others that you can find for that price range.

One I discovered at Christmas was Speyburn, its about $74 at Dans currently and tastes a lot better than the price indicates. Well worth a try.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
The general consensus in whisky circles is that Green Label is the best value for money in the range, and they’re absolutely spot on in that opinion. The bolder for me was Double Black, which was better than expected and is my new default choice for bars that have a bad whisky selection.
Agree with this especially. I enjoy Green Label and the Double Black is also excellent, especially at its price.

I've had the double black a few times but for some reason am always surprised at how much I enjoy it. I know I like it, and before I drink it I know I'm going to enjoy it, yet somehow it still leaves me surprised with just how much I enjoy it. Does that make sense?

Green Label > Blue Label. Regardless of price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Anyone recommend a place in Australia to sell rare whiskey?
I've got an unopened bottle that retails for between 3-5k and I'm curious as to where I could sell it. Unfortunately you can't pop something like that onto eBay or Facebook market place! So I've kind of got to sell it via official channels as I won't find a private buyer for it.

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've got an unopened bottle that retails for between 3-5k and I'm curious as to where I could sell it. Unfortunately you can't pop something like that onto eBay or Facebook market place! So I've kind of got to sell it via official channels as I won't find a private buyer for it.

What is it?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
What is it?
Hibiki 17 year old Kacho Fugetsu Limited Edition. It's boxed and bottle sealed. There were only 1000 bottles made so I can only see it getting more valuable, but unsure what to do. I've got it at my parents house in their safe lol

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Give Australian Whisky Auctioneer a crack. They're fairly new but it's exactly what you're after.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
IMG_7883.jpg

Attended a Redbreast tasting night at Whisky and Alement. Splurged for a bottle of Redbreast 21 as a result, which will sit waiting for an anticipated special occasion next year where it can be cracked open and enjoyed with friends.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Was fortunate enough to get my hands on one of 577 bottles of the recently released Archie Rose - A Whisky in Every Port.

Was saving it for a special occasion, which presented itself on the weekend when my best mate broke the news that he and his partner are expecting their first child. Bloody excellent whisky, and if you're interested there's a limited number of 15ml sample bottles available here.

IMG_9082.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Honestly think one of the best things about whisky is the lack of rules. What someone likes others may hate.

It’s worth going to a good whisky bar and just doing a few different drams. Try some peated, try some Japanese florals, try some red wine and port casks. See what you prefer. Try a single malt then a blend. Just have a crack.

FWIW blue label ain’t sh*t and no one I know that enjoys whisky rates it.
Blue label is good, it's just terrible value imo. For $200 a bottle, there are better whiskeys at half the cost. But if you weren't paying for it, I'd still be happy to drink it.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Recently purchased the Johnnie Walker range for a blind whisky taste testing night and got a chance to review them afterwards. Synopsis below:

For the price point there are better whiskies out there than Blue Label (Glenmorangie, Glendronach, Dalwhinnie) but if you’re someone who isn’t a whisky drinker and you buy a bottle of Blue Label to celebrate your wedding/first child/getting out of prison you wouldn’t be disappointed by the choice.

The Red Label is trash, you should only drink it if it’s free or there’s nothing else available, but please mix it with something when consumed. Blue Label is the best of the lot, but at AU$194 a bottle it won’t be finding its way onto my shelf anytime soon unless it comes in the form of a gift. The Green Label was a joy to discover and for the price point will now feature heavily in my daily drinker list.
Red label is trash lol. Even mixed when you're already drunk it's trash. For an extra $5-10 a bottle it's amazing how much Johnny Walker Black is an improvement. That's my preference for a readily available and cheap(ish) scotch and coke at a bar.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Red label is trash lol. Even mixed when you're already drunk it's trash. For an extra $5-10 a bottle it's amazing how much Johnny Walker Black is an improvement. That's my preference for a readily available and cheap(ish) scotch and coke at a bar.

Red is utter garbage. Double Black was a good inflection between price and enjoyment drinking neat, but totally agree if drinking with coke then black will suffice. I've since found that $70/200ml bottles of JW Blue make for great gifts to have on hand for birthdays/house warmings etc where you run out of time to buy a gift, as it's small enough to be a gift and not obscure enough that people appreciate it's JW Blue.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I don’t think it’s good for nearly any price point personally.

Double black or green id happily have over it.

Completely agree on all fronts here. For $200 you can do much, much better than JW Blue but the Double Black and Green punch above their respective price points.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I don’t think it’s good for nearly any price point personally.

Double black or green id happily have over it.

Completely agree on all fronts here. For $200 you can do much, much better than JW Blue but the Double Black and Green punch above their respective price points.

It's not good value at $200

If it was $70 it'd be a top seller.

It's grossly overpriced because it's a huge distillery and their "best" offering. It's like paying $200 for a brand name tshirt, not worth the price but it's still a nice shirt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back