Who are our second and third year players to get excited about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 25, 2002
Roleystone
AFL Club
Fremantle
With the draft coming up most of us are excited about our new toys but come next season they will still be first year players and not ready to go just yet. Of course there have been exceptions like Rhys Palmer's first season and Stephen Hill's first season. But the question I pose is who have we drafted a year or two ago where we said they needed to get a bit stronger before they make an impact.

Who is this Viv Michie bloke and what's he going to do next year? Will Chrichton surpise us? And Jayden Pitt from last year, will we see him be more more comfortable in the seniors and deliver like he was written about in last years pre draft writeups?

With the draft coming up most of us are excited about our new toys but come next season they will still be first year players and not ready to go just yet. Of course there have been exceptions like Rhys Palmer's first season and Stephen Hill's first season. But the question I pose is who have we drafted a year or two ago where we said they needed to get a bit stronger before they make an impact.

Who is this Viv Michie bloke and what's he going to do next year? Will Chrichton surpise us? And Jayden Pitt from last year, will we see him be more more comfortable in the seniors and deliver like he was written about in last years pre draft writeups?

Viv Michie (if fit) and Mellington should have a decent impact this season. Walters could be like a new player under Lyon too.

Suban needs to have more impact and Crichton needs to step it up to give us more depth.

And for someone different, I think Lower could have a 'break-out' year if he's given first crack at the grunt inside mid role.

I think we struck gold in last years draft, we just don't know it yet. Pitt, viv & mello to have a big impact in 2012!

I liked what I saw of Mitchie at training. Looks like a genius around stoppages to me. Lyon mentioned him in his initial run down on the players.
Mellington looks a tough nut, a real competitor. Would go brilliantly alongside Mayne & Frodo in the forward line.
I have extremely high hopes for Pitt. So much time with the ball and moves like a thoroughbred. I expect him to be playing a Mackie like role of half back for us within a couple of years. Not sure how much we will see of him next year.
Looking forward to seeing Roberts, probably only in the WAFL but can't wait to see how he goes.

If Michie's foot doesn't turn into something chronic, he has the potential to be a jet. Should have played before Pitt last season. but was given the opportunity to develop as a midfielder in the Wafl, with great effect. Just hope he keeps developing and doesn't stagnate this year. Pitt should play well in a good side and if Mellington can tidy up his goal kicking he could be a great acquisition.

Only 7 more sleeps till draft day

Mellington, Michie and Pitt although they are talented individuals will have to develop their bodies for the rigours of AFL or they will risk injury. I would hate to see them thrown out their and a LTI happen. Pitt was lucky not to get taken out as his body is still on the lean side.

I hope Faulks can have amuch greater impact at the club as we need players like himself to take the presure off Grover, McF etc...

Looks like the big names have been covered. Mora, Pitt, Michie & Mellington would be the names looking to have an impact. Crichton, Subes & Roberton will also need to step it up to get games in 2012.

Edit: Faulks & Jack Anthony's careers will likely be defined in 2012 also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still hoping Suban will step it up and perform consistently.

Seems to play best after a long run up (playing stretch), due to collision injuries has not been getting that. Hopefully a full pre-season will sort this.

Ibbotson was one I was thinking would have a great 2011 season. Injured by a blood sprinkler in the pre season and then to my mind I saw him trailing behind his man when the opposition had the ball - either not running hard enough or not fit enough. Hopefully the genius Hayden will sort Suban and Ibbotson out to play like him.

Fyfe, Silvagni, Mzungu, Morabito, Barlow.

Hard to believe some of those names are only 2nd/3rd year players. These guys should tear it up next year.

People don't rate him, but Roberton.

Get on the bandwagon while there are still plenty of seats :thumbsu:

never left that bandwagon. i like roberton. he looks very composed in the backline and has great skills.

as for michie. i have only seen him train, and the reports on him are great, my concern is that foot... personally i cant think of a worse injury in footy (other than a barlow leg snap of course).... i really hope he comes back from it

im expecting pitt to have a breakout year in 2013, so fro next year i am going with peter faulks. i reckon he looks the goods, has courage, is a great spoiler and has an awkward but effective kick on him.... if he could just get his fitness up he will be great

Remove this Banner Ad

Back