Strategy Who are the moneyball players we should look closer at.

If you had to pick just one, who would it be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm keen to hear peoples thoughts on who we could target to improve this this that'll cost little to no currency.
I don't know if Moneyball is the correct vernacular as I haven't seen the movie but you get my drift I'm sure.

For me, the players below are of interest.
Kai Owens
Boyd Woodcock
Kobe Ryan
Jordon Sweet
Matt Flynn (I prefer Sweet though)
Kai Lohmann (not much chance of coming to WA though)
Tyler Brockman
Ethan Phillips
Aidan Clarke
Shaun Mannagh
Lachlan Sullivan
Brayden Crossley
Angus Schumacher
Wad Derksen (surely GWS wouldn't ask too much?)

We've been trying the moneyball tactics with our midfield for years & it hasn't worked.
See...I'm not so sur about this. West is a recent one I suppose.
Hutchings was too but he was actually a very solid role player. Troy Wilson was another win.

Jake Florenca played the one game with us an got it 30 times.

Dylan82 has done an excellent analysis in another thread and one of the names his model has brought up is Harry Perryman - I reckon he'd be a fantastic get.

I don't think through moneyballing you really can land sexy, flashy players who do things nobody else can, but hopefully through the draft we'll land a few of those. I like Perryman cause he's a bit boring - he seems like he'd slot into a midfield and sort of fill any role that the rest of the mids didn't balance out. Every team needs a mid with enough talent that they're not just an O'Neill in there but still one who does the unsexy things - Redden, Stenglein etc. Would be a good age as well and I don't think would cost heaps.

See...I'm not so sur about this. West is a recent one I suppose.
Hutchings was too but he was actually a very solid role player. Troy Wilson was another win.

Jake Florenca played the one game with us an got it 30 times.

We might have different perceptions of "moneyball".

For me it is drafting for talls at the expence of the midfield then using lower picks to try and cover the rest of the positions with lower rated small/medium defenders/fwds that they want to rotate through the midfield.

Which ended up meaning we didn't end up with proper mids and us getting smashed at stoppages.

(Yes 6-6-6 and "stand" made the situation even worse)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddy Dow

He's fallen totally out of favour at the Dogs but has proven he can play well at the highest level. He's 28 in Jan though so maybe a bit too old?

I worse age wise than Jayden hunt and he can still be around to take cripps gig when he goes

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It ignores literally everything this thread was created for, but I reckon pick 1 & Barrass is enough to bring Toby Greene and Sam Taylor across no?

Back