Who did it better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We can use this thread later for other player comparisons too.

But to start with who has had a better turn around Amon or Bonner?

Both were considered unreliable, poor decision makers and a bit soft.

Both have turned it around in all 3 facets.

I was wrong about both.

Amazingly id give the chocolates to Bonner for 2 reasons.

1. He stood up in a big final when noone else did.

2. His ability to kick on both feet Both gets us out of trouble and stops us getting slowed down in transition because he's harder to corral.

Also, Todd Marshall

Also, Todd Marshall
I left Marshall out deliberately because I had a feeling that due to the value of his position and his form he would win a 3 way vote easily.

P.s. mods if you want to add a poll please do. I don't know how to do it on my phone.

If I was voting for a player who has turned a corner in 2022 it would be Connor Rozee as he has moved from being an opportunist forward flanker to a midfielder who is on the cusp of becoming an elite midfielder. Not far behind I would have Todd Marshall who is starting to hurt the opposition with his leading and straight kicking.

There was a 5 minute period in the third quarter yesterday when Rozee turned a deficit into a lead. He booted two goals and had a hand in another and he did it with consummate skill. Two outstanding games on the trot from Connor against in form opposition. What he needs to do now is turn it on against the top four teams.

Todd Marshall is now starting to present up forward. He is developing into a one grab leading forward with a deadly kick. The contrast between Todd's set up when kicking at goal and that of Mitch Georgiades is like cheese and chalk. Todd is focused on the task at hand and oozes confidence. Mitch on the other hand looks left, then right, then left again as if he has no confidence in his ability and wants someone else to do the kicking.

Two other players who impressed in yesterday's game were Lachie Jones and Kane Farrell. I can see a time when Rozee, Farrell and Jones could be part of a class midfield.

Bonner is coming from further back form wise. At his worst, he was a liability when it came to being tackled and in a vulnerable position on the ground.

He has put those bomb scare moments behind him and seems better at absorbing contact and not getting caught HTB. He's become very reliable with ball in hand and is probably only rivalled by Burton when it comes to foot skills and pinpointing passes in traffic.

I'd have him ahead of Amon at this point, who has either regressed due to being more of a cherry on top type player or he has one foot out the door and will be back to his best at the next club.

Hopefully Bonner continues his upwards trajectory and doesn't stall or go backwards like DBJ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back