The people who REALLY saved this club

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 - Port finishes with 5 wins, 16 losses and 1 draw, with a percentage of 78.87%. The three year deal that Haysman and Duncanson gave Primus becomes yet another noose around the club's neck as he steps down after Port again embarrasses itself being the first club to lose to GWS. The average attendance dives to 20k. So after paying out Williams, they are forced to pay out Primus as well because of the ineptitude of these so called 'leaders'.

And you want to celebrate this era?
Weren't the first club to lose to GWS.

everyone who attended the Soul Destroying 140th loss to Richmond at AAMI. those people's hard-earned money kept us afloat more than most, I'd wager.
Remember it well - West Lakes that day was, due to the previous consistent rain, turned back into a swamp! It brought back memories of my childhood when my mates and I use to ride our bikes along the many tracks of that Port River swamp. Those were the days!

You have to mention Boak and Butcher here too. Their decisions to stick with us were important.

I remember going to a function that turned out to be a shameless money grab, embarrassing those there to donate. I spoke to an accountant who had seen the books. He didn’t believe the club would survive. It was a shock at the time. They were desperate times.

I agree that Ken and Koch are not the headline acts in this conversation (as Koch would have you believe) but they did play their part too. Burgess more than these guys gave us a competitive advantage and we rode that to survival. There are a lot of people who were pivotal- Haysman and John James stand at the front of the queue.
It was Trengove who lead, questioning the club throughout 2011 about what the future was going to look like, won the B&F in 2011, sharing it with Boak under the new reduced voting system of 1 lot of votes not 4 or 5, and agreed to sign on again at the end of the year, and he, Boak and Bobby Carlile then arranged for a pre, preseason camp for about 8 players, run by an ex NSW coppper and ex SAS guy up in Avoca Beach about 90kms north of Sydney.

And the wonders of Big Footy here is the thread with the Tiser doing a news article about 6 weeks after the camp. Then in early December the whole squad did a camp in NZ, trying to replicate what the club did in December 2003.

AFTER the worst AFL season in club history, Port Adelaide's young leaders have taken matters into their own hands. Joint club champions Travis Boak and Jackson Trengove and full back Alipate Carlile were so "angry" at the club's disastrous, three-win 2011 campaign that they have gone to extraordinary lengths to make sure there is no repeat.

It was mid 2012 when Geelong sent over the Brass Band as KT called it, to try and get Boak signed up.

Last edited:
Let's go back in time and see what actually happened.

2009 - Port Adelaide loses to Adelaide by 70 points and then announces Mark Williams has extended his contract for two years - a Haysman and Duncanson decision. The club was at 8 wins and 9 losses at the time. It finishes the season with 9 wins and 13 losses and a percentage of 88.7%. The average crowd was again, 24k.
Nope Haysman didn't want Choco. The board was tied, and Duncanson had the casting vote and he went with Choco because of the stupid Ricky Nixon inserted 30 June clause the club agreed to in 2006 or 2007. Duncanson couldn't bring himself to sack Choco, he'd only been Prez for a few months, he wasn't secure in the job, couldn't knife a Port icon, but 13 months later he did.

Last edited:
Read janus’s summary of what is was like for diehards and then open your eyes to where we are now!

Hey Janus. Do you ever stop to consider that this guy is the only person who applauds your slanted narratives?

I mean, come on.

The actual timeline:

• Guernsey rebrand thanks to Lucy Burford’s Planet Teal entry: November 2009 <Link>;

• ‘White Knight’, businessman Gordon Pickard, delivers the first of many philanthropic donations and initiatives to the club: 2009-2013 <Link>;

• One Club merger of PAFC & PAMFC off the back of George Fiacchi and Tim Ginever’s campaign: November 2010 <Link>;

• Adelaide Oval redevelopment and associated SA footy governance overhaul gets the go-ahead: 2009-2011 <Link> <Link> <Link> <Link>;

• ‘Back In Black’ debt reduction campaign is announced, ultimately raising $1,000,000+ in donations from past players, coaches, members and fans: March 2011 <Link>;

• Latest AFL media rights deal worth ~1.25b is signed to the end of 2017, deal relies on 17-18 teams with the entries of Suns and Giants: April 2011 <Link>;

• Port vs Melbourne final round game moved to pre-redevelopment Adelaide Oval: 30 June 2011 <Link>;

• AFL & SANFL funding package to both Port ($9,000,000) & the Crows ($3,000,000) for seasons 2011/12/13 agreed upon: 30 June 2011 <Link> <Link>;

• KEITH THOMAS APPOINTED CEO: 26 August 2011 <Link>;

• DAVID KOCH APPOINTED CHAIRMAN: 2 October 2012 <Link>;

• KEN HINKLEY APPOINTED HEAD COACH: 8 October 2012 <Link>;

Whatever the positives and negatives of past regimes, you can’t actually give credit to certain high-profile pedestaled types for big ticket framework, when they didn’t actually arrive on the scene until a year or two-plus after most of it.

Last edited:
The actual timeline:

• One Club merger of PAFC & PAMFC off the back of George Fiacchi and Tim Ginever’s campaign: November 2010 <Link>;
Just to add to this point, work started in 2009 but rejected by the SANFL clubs in February 2010, then rebooted a few months later with Timmy and George as the public front men for the campaign.

Can't find the thread about the pre vote discussion, but this one is after the SANFL clubs rejected the merger.

Its really hard to congratulate or celebrate the era preceding the current one.

Haysman deserves a lot of credit for immediately coming in and blowing up the SANFL and making them accountable, which I guess ultimately played a big part in keeping us afloat at the time. That is where any credit he gets should really end. On the flipside, him and the board at the time and their complete ineptitude in being able to attract any form of sponsorship and making the almost club killing decision to re-sign Choco and then sack him not even 12 months later deserves complete derision and zero plaudits. Having to rely on donations and handouts should not be celebrated.

everyone who attended the Soul Destroying 140th loss to Richmond at AAMI. those people's hard-earned money kept us afloat more than most, I'd wager.
I helped run the BBQ before the game with it coming in sideways even then 🥶

Just to add to this point, work started in 2009 but rejected by the SANFL clubs in February 2010, then rebooted a few months later with Timmy and George as the public front men for the campaign.

Can't find the thread about the pre vote discussion, but this one is after the SANFL clubs rejected the merger.

That’s right. I remember having a scan of the page in The Advertiser of all the SANFL club CEO’s explaining why they did or didn’t vote for the first proposal.

It included some laughably hypocritical comments from the likes of Centrals and Glenelg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope Haysman didn't want Choco.
And yet Williams was reappointed.
The board was tied, and Duncanson had the casting vote and he went with Choco because of the stupid Ricky Nixon inserted 30 June clause the club agreed to in 2006 or 2007. Duncanson couldn't bring himself to sack Choco, he'd only been Prez for a few months, he wasn't secure in the job, couldn't knife a Port icon, but 13 months later he did.
So what you're saying is that the CEO didn't want the coach, half the board didn't want the coach...but Duncanson was more concerned about keeping his stupid job than doing the right thing by the club that he chose the Port icon over the former Crow supporting blow in?

It's even worse than I thought.

Hinkley has never coached a season with a percentage under 100%.
yes he has.

I agree somewhat with OP, the period of the late 00s/early 10s was diabolical and folks like Haysman and Duncanson were responsible for some good initiatives for which they get little acknowledgementn under circumstances that made progress borderline impossible.

Kochie and his board, I think, did a lot of good things in their early years. I see the China push as the beginning of a direction, while ambitious, that distracted the club (for the worse). it's become increasingly remote from its traditions and standards, even amid good on field performances.

the last few years have been particularly galling though. the club feels less like Port Adelaide and more of a franchise club than ever.

it's entirely appropriate to seek new members. and the type of club we are, historically, is more than enough to entice that. Richardson's letter read as bland and stale, more like a memo to shareholders than a footy membership...and that's how it feels like the club is being run.

Last edited:
yes he has.

I agree somewhat with OP, the period of the late 00s/early 10s was diabolical and folks like Haysman and Duncanson were responsible for some good initiatives for which they get little acknowledgementn under circumstances that made progress borderline impossible.

Kochie and his board, I think, did a lot of good things in their early years. I see the China push as the beginning of a direction, while ambitious, that distracted the club (for the worse). it's become increasingly remote from its traditions and standards, even amid good on field performances.

the last few years have been particularly galling though. the club feels less like Port Adelaide and more of a franchise club than ever.

it's entirely appropriate to seek new members. and the type of club we are, historically, is more than enough to entice that. Richardson's letter read as bland and stale, more like a memo to shareholders than a footy membership...and that's how it feels like the club is being run.
2013 - 102.4%
2014 - 129.9%
2015 - 106.8%
2016 - 106.0%
2017 - 129.7%
2018 - 107.6%
2019 - 105.4%
2020 - 136.4%
2021 - 126.3%
2022 - 110.3%
2023 - 111.0%*

And yet Williams was reappointed.

So what you're saying is that the CEO didn't want the coach, half the board didn't want the coach...but Duncanson was more concerned about keeping his stupid job than doing the right thing by the club that he chose the Port icon over the former Crow supporting blow in?

It's even worse than I thought.
Duncanson wasn't going to lose his job. He was SANFL appointed for 3 years, like Koch was via the AFL approval.

Duncanson didn't have the guts after 6 months as the prez to kill an icon of the club, but he did 13 months later.

Koch after 5 years couldn't kill a blow in, and as a result has gifted him at least 8 more years and over $6mil and probably will get a lot more than 13 years in the job.

Who is worse of the two??

Haysman gets an "it's complicated" as a historical assessment. Simple hero or villain does no justice and does not help us understand "how we got here".

Knew how to start fights, but not necessarily how to "win" them. Shining a spotlight on the parasites at the SANFL, identifying Adelaide oval as a way up and out for everyone, two bites at OneClub, the Choco decisions (see REH's post above for key details), the Primus appointment, sponsorships.

That Primus decision... why Chris Scott finishes second and one K. Hinkley even further behind two marvellous communicators. Counterfactual to end them all - maybe the most experienced assistant would have been the best choice at the time for a place with "unnaturally limited resources"?

Selling the confused, seemingly downward spiralling, deliberately hobbled Port brand to sponsors must have been difficult too... while fighting all the other fights at the same time.

Duncanson on the other hand always gave me "nice bloke a bit out of his depth" vibes.

Ken, Koch & Keith navigated a return to something like "AFL standard" financially, then on track, then on field. In that order. We even innovate for a while. Then folks are all "mission accomplished" but lack a method to actually win a flag. Off field Koch starts managing expectations ("little battler") like we're content to be... Norf. They're burnt out from getting us all the way up to... scratch... and need to go, before we become no more than an entertainment.

Special mention to our recent list managers, who despite just saving Ken's job, may eventually be the ones we thank for the next flag - along with Josh.

Ken, Koch & Keith navigated a return to something like "AFL standard" financially, then on track, then on field. In that order.

Thanks to inheriting a fantastic foundation to build upon. As hard as the yards looked at the end of 2012 when the former pair arrived, the light at the end of the tunnel was absolutely blinding.

I helped run the BBQ before the game with it coming in sideways even then 🥶

Man, my lingering memories of that day are:

• the pre-game legends parade getting absolutely soaked, and the likes of Russell lucky not to blow away to the Land of Oz;

• the previously winless Tigs under L-plate Hardwick performing like it was dry, with former PAMFC junior Ben Nason in particular absolutely running riot;

• a distinctly universal mood of “we are in f#%king trouble” going forward — like waiting in the front office for an irate principal to hit you with a flamethrower

As bleak as it gets.

My god I remember it like it was yesterday. We got murdered by Ben Nason if I recall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back