The people who REALLY saved this club

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The PAFC is making a massive mistake alienating the very people who allowed them to survive the rough times (and would do so in the future).

Whilst all the credit gets heaped on Koch and Ken those of us with memories longer than a goldfish know that the clubs owes its survival to 2 groups.

1. The leaders with vision and conviction.

The likes of Haysman and Duncanson who (like their predecessors Williams, McLean, Webber, Boulton etc.) were willing to stand up for what is right and what it in the best interest of the PAFC, regardless of personal sacrifices of their careers and reputations.

2. The members they represented.

These leaders were birthed from a membership group with conviction and expectations who were willing to ride through the tough times confident in the knowledge that the club was doing everything it could to chase the ultimate success in the biggest league in the land.

These were the members that stuck fat in 2011/2012 knowing that whilst Primus et al were fighting with 2 hands behind their back, they were bloody well fighting, and they cared about the members and the result.

Right now these "members" in name only are being gaslit by the board that is supposed to represent them, but instead represents the interests of AFL house. How long can they hold on watching their club amd everything it stands for crumble?

Without these 2 groups the club is doomed when the next inevitable down turn comes. And the club is well on its way to losing both, potentially forever.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The PAFC is making a massive mistake alienating the very people who allowed them to survive the rough times (and would do so in the future).

Whilst all the credit gets heaped on Koch and Ken those of us with memories longer than a goldfish know that the clubs owes its survival to 2 groups.

The likes of Haysman and Duncanson who (like their predecessors Williams, McLean, Webber, Boulton etc.) were willing to stand up for what is right and what it in the best interest of the PAFC, regardless of personal sacrifices of their careers and reputations.

These leaders were birthed from a membership group with conviction and expectations who were willing to ride through the tough times confident in the knowledge that the club was doing everything it could to chase the ultimate success in the biggest league in the land.

These were the members that stuck fat in 2011/2012 knowing that whilst Primus et al were fighting with 2 hands behind their back, they were bloody well fighting, and they cared about the members and the result.

Right now these "members" in name only are being gaslit by the board that is supposed to represent them, but instead represents the interests of AFL house. How long can they hold on watching their club amd everything it stands for crumble?

Without these 2 groups the club is doomed when the next inevitable down turn comes. And the club is well on its way to losing both, potentially forever.

Number 2 is what is now referred to as "lunatics".

That's right, I am a proud Lunatic who stood by my football club when everyone and anything was coming for it. When outside forces wanted to pack us up and send us elsewhere. Lunacy was sitting at a wet and windy empty Footy Park knowing that my club had its hands tied behind its back and still hoping to get a win every week when others were hoping to kill us off.

That is a real Lunatic!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

You have to mention Boak and Butcher here too. Their decisions to stick with us were important.

I remember going to a function that turned out to be a shameless money grab, embarrassing those there to donate. I spoke to an accountant who had seen the books. He didn’t believe the club would survive. It was a shock at the time. They were desperate times.

I agree that Ken and Koch are not the headline acts in this conversation (as Koch would have you believe) but they did play their part too. Burgess more than these guys gave us a competitive advantage and we rode that to survival. There are a lot of people who were pivotal- Haysman and John James stand at the front of the queue.

The problem is, with AO and most (certainly not all, with the SMA) shackles of the SANFL removed, Port would have to do multi-year *s up of drafting and trading, to get so bad the happy clappers start peeling off.

As one of the 'lunatics' attending games at the windswept, aging stadium in the middle of nowhere, AKA Football Park, 2008 - 2012 (after moving back from Melbourne), unlike the Happy clappers and Koch, I do remember 2012, from actually being there. Those of us keeping the club afloat (just) and those who fought for OneClub (now actively been walked back, by avoiding every reference to PB's and our history where possible) and getting the move to AO going are the ones the club should be most grateful for. None of which were Koch, Ken, KT, Davies or Richo.

Number 2 is what is now referred to as "lunatics".

That's right, I am a proud Lunatic who stood by my football club when everyone and anything was coming for it. When outside forces wanted to pack us up and send us elsewhere. Lunacy was sitting at a wet and windy empty Footy Park knowing that my club had its hands tied behind its back and still hoping to get a win every week when others were hoping to kill us off.

That is a real Lunatic!

Me too

everyone who attended the Soul Destroying 140th loss to Richmond at AAMI. those people's hard-earned money kept us afloat more than most, I'd wager.

i respect your passion, as one from 2011/2012 and before you are way over dramatising the past in that period to say that because some of us sat tough on the aluminium seats that today was enabled by the few then including you and me. Things were awful then and look where we are today. Read again richardsons letter. Move on.

Let's go back in time and see what actually happened.

2008 - Port Adelaide finishes the season with 7 wins and 15 losses and a percentage of 95.8%. The average crowd was 24k. Mark Haysman is appointed CEO, leans heavily into the tradition of the club which appeases the die hard supporters. Says that his focus is on arresting dwindling crowd numbers at Football Park. NARRATOR: He doesn't.

2009 - Port Adelaide loses to Adelaide by 70 points and then announces Mark Williams has extended his contract for two years - a Haysman and Duncanson decision. The club was at 8 wins and 9 losses at the time. It finishes the season with 9 wins and 13 losses and a percentage of 88.7%. The average crowd was again, 24k.

2010 - Mark Haysman introduces the incredibly stupid tarp idea. Some vision. Attendances drop to an average of 23k. Port records 5 wins and 12 losses, really ratifying the outstanding decision making of Haysman and Duncanson as Williams steps down as coach of the club but does not forfeit the money he is owed on his contract, which hamstrings the club in the search for a new coach. Port Adelaide finishes the season with 10 wins and 12 losses, but once again, their percentage falls and it's now 82.4%. Stupidly signs Matthew Primus for 3 years on the back of his 5 game winning streak because Chris Scott wanted to be able to appoint his own assistant coaches.

2011 - Port Adelaide finishes the season with 3 wins and 19 losses, recording a dismal percentage of 64.5%. Becomes the first club to lose to Gold Coast - at home. Average attendance falls to 22k. The vultures are circling thanks to these 'leaders with conviction' and the 'members they represented.' Haysman *s off after not meeting one of the metrics he was was supposed to deliver - he didn't arrest dwindling crowd numbers, oversaw the reappointment of Mark Williams who stepped down after one season and then appointed Matthew Primus as coach cause of a stupid winning streak - everything that you could have possibly done wrong as a CEO of a football department, he did.

2012 - Port finishes with 5 wins, 16 losses and 1 draw, with a percentage of 78.87%. The three year deal that Haysman and Duncanson gave Primus becomes yet another noose around the club's neck as he steps down after Port again embarrasses itself being the first club to lose to GWS. The average attendance dives to 20k. So after paying out Williams, they are forced to pay out Primus as well because of the ineptitude of these so called 'leaders'.

And you want to celebrate this era?

i respect your passion, as one from 2011/2012 and before you are way over dramatising the past in that period to say that because some of us sat tough on the aluminium seats that today was enabled by the few then including you and me. Things were awful then and look where we are today. Read again richardsons letter. Move on.
Richos' letter made it more abundantly clear that the club is firmly focused on attracting the new breed of Port supporter. You know, the one who won't hold the club to account or question its poor decision making or demand success at every opportunity.

Richos' letter made it more abundantly clear that the club is firmly focused on attracting the new breed of Port supporter. You know, the one who won't hold the club to account or question its poor decision making or demand success at every opportunity.

That is a very negative interpretation, probably typical of a number of regular posters. Read janus’s summary of what is was like for diehards and then open your eyes to where we are now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s an entertainment product now, not a football club.

Let's go back in time and see what actually happened.

2008 - Port Adelaide finishes the season with 7 wins and 15 losses and a percentage of 95.8%. The average crowd was 24k. Mark Haysman is appointed CEO, leans heavily into the tradition of the club which appeases the die hard supporters. Says that his focus is on arresting dwindling crowd numbers at Football Park. NARRATOR: He doesn't.

2009 - Port Adelaide loses to Adelaide by 70 points and then announces Mark Williams has extended his contract for two years - a Haysman and Duncanson decision. The club was at 8 wins and 9 losses at the time. It finishes the season with 9 wins and 13 losses and a percentage of 88.7%. The average crowd was again, 24k.

2010 - Mark Haysman introduces the incredibly stupid tarp idea. Some vision. Attendances drop to an average of 23k. Port records 5 wins and 12 losses, really ratifying the outstanding decision making of Haysman and Duncanson as Williams steps down as coach of the club but does not forfeit the money he is owed on his contract, which hamstrings the club in the search for a new coach. Port Adelaide finishes the season with 10 wins and 12 losses, but once again, their percentage falls and it's now 82.4%. Stupidly signs Matthew Primus for 3 years on the back of his 5 game winning streak because Chris Scott wanted to be able to appoint his own assistant coaches.

2011 - Port Adelaide finishes the season with 3 wins and 19 losses, recording a dismal percentage of 64.5%. Becomes the first club to lose to Gold Coast - at home. Average attendance falls to 22k. The vultures are circling thanks to these 'leaders with conviction' and the 'members they represented.' Haysman *s off after not meeting one of the metrics he was was supposed to deliver - he didn't arrest dwindling crowd numbers, oversaw the reappointment of Mark Williams who stepped down after one season and then appointed Matthew Primus as coach cause of a stupid winning streak - everything that you could have possibly done wrong as a CEO of a football department, he did.

2012 - Port finishes with 5 wins, 16 losses and 1 draw, with a percentage of 78.87%. The three year deal that Haysman and Duncanson gave Primus becomes yet another noose around the club's neck as he steps down after Port again embarrasses itself being the first club to lose to GWS. The average attendance dives to 20k. So after paying out Williams, they are forced to pay out Primus as well because of the ineptitude of these so called 'leaders'.

And you want to celebrate this era?
You forgot Danni Laidley coaching via Skype!

2013 - Hinkley is signed because he is last man standing. Good first season, even made finals and beat Collingwood. My first season as a member.
2014 - Epic EF vs Richmond in the PBs. Hinkley's 2nd final series and 1st prelim loss.
2015 - Do not finishes any round inside the Top 8. Miss finals for the 1st time under K.K.K
2016 - Miss finals for the 2nd time under K.K.K
2017 - Lose a home EF after the siren in extra time. Ted and co try to intimidate the Tigers with their Power Ranger stance in the GF. The board re-signs 'lord and savior' Hinkley
2018 - Lose the last 4 games and miss the finals.
2019 - Miss the finals for the 2nd year in a row
2020 - Finish the season as minor premiers :eek: while the Cows hold up the ladder. Lose to the Tigers in a home PF. Hinkley's 2nd PF loss. KT leaves
2021 - Finish 2nd. Get smashed from go to woah by the Dogs in a home PF. The Southern Pear search high and low for KT's replacement and find one right under their noses. Hinkley's 3rd PF loss
2022 - Finish 11th. Hinkley now hold the record for games coached with out coaching a GF.
2023 - 13 wins in a row. The Board re-signs Daddy Donuts. 4 loses in a row. Board hold off announcing extension until Port beat GWS at AO....

2013 - Hinkley is signed because he is last man standing. Good first season, even made finals and beat Collingwood. My first season as a member.
2014 - Epic EF vs Richmond in the PBs. Hinkley's 2nd final series and 1st prelim loss.
2015 - Do not finishes any round inside the Top 8. Miss finals for the 1st time under K.K.K
2017 - Lose a home EF after the siren in extra time. Ted and co try to intimidate the Tigers with their Power Ranger stance in the GF. The board re-signs 'lord and savior' Hinkley
2020 - Finish the season as minor premiers :eek: while the Cows hold up the ladder. Lose to the Tigers in a home PF. Hinkley's 2nd PF loss. KT leaves
2021 - Finish 2nd. Get smashed from go to woah by the Dogs in a home PF. The Southern Pear search high and low for KT's replacement and find one right under their noses. Hinkley's 3rd PF loss
2022 - Finish 11th. Hinkley now hold the record for games coached with out coaching a GF.
2023 - 13 wins in a row. The Board re-signs Daddy Donuts. 4 loses in a row. Board hold off announcing extension until Port beat GWS at AO....

Ugh. I'm going to see Bloc Party in a couple of months, now I'm just going to associate them with Hinkley.

Hinkley has never coached a season with a percentage under 100%.

The problem is, with AO and most (certainly not all, with the SMA) shackles of the SANFL removed, Port would have to do multi-year *s up of drafting and trading, to get so bad the happy clappers start peeling off.

As one of the 'lunatics' attending games at the windswept, aging stadium in the middle of nowhere, AKA Football Park, 2008 - 2012 (after moving back from Melbourne), unlike the Happy clappers and Koch, I do remember 2012, from actually being there. Those of us keeping the club afloat (just) and those who fought for OneClub (now actively been walked back, by avoiding every reference to PB's and our history where possible) and getting the move to AO going are the ones the club should be most grateful for. None of which were Koch, Ken, KT, Davies or Richo.
I remember sitting watching us lose to Collingwood by 160 points (I think) me and my son were the only 2 in the whole row of seating!

I remember sitting watching us lose to Collingwood by 160 points (I think) me and my son were the only 2 in the whole row of seating!
I remember a random 50 year old man who was a blubbering mess hugged me at the siren after that comeback win against North Melbourne in 2012, 14,500 die-hards.

Ahhhh the good old days!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back