Who has been the best key forward since Carey?

Remove this Banner Ad

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think brown is getting more votes because he's "carey-esque" and is the chf crashing packs, courageous etc.

Lloy for me is clearly the best here, brown hasn't been close, at his best he's deserving but over careers, not close.

Exactly my thoughts. The OP is who has been the best key forward since Carey, not who has been the most like Carey.

Brown is the best. Followed closely by Lloyd and Riewoldt.
Tredrae was a gun however he dominated the CHF position from 2001-2004. Which was before the rest hit their peaks and over took him

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Lloyd and Brown are deadlocked.

Kinda bizarre when you consider how few truly quality seasons Brown has actually played.
I feel when Brown is "On" he has the same aura of invincibility about him, while not doubting every player can dominate, But when Brown is playing his best you would pick him to be able to crash a pack and be the first bloke up

He has that Swagger as well, its unfortunate his best is few and far inbetween

Personally, Tredrea, if he played for a Popular club you could bet you would have a few people feeling he produced a year or two which was as good as Carey's

Jazzed

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
The Third Way
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic , Southampton
1. Tredrea owned 01-04. Had a solid 05 as well, and showed glimpses again this year.

2. J Brown is incredible, he has a Carey like presence on field. If he stayed fit in 05/06 would be pipping Tredders, though he had injuries as well.

3. Pavlich is the most complete player of this decade, but not the best forward. Not many players have been elite all over the ground like he has.

Good post by the OP, all players in the poll have had great careers.

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
I feel when Brown is "On" he has the same aura of invincibility about him, while not doubting every player can dominate, But when Brown is playing his best you would pick him to be able to crash a pack and be the first bloke up
But surely, if you were to vote based on whose best is the best, Franklin would get the nod.

Franklin's 2008 was freakish, surpassing Brown's best season.

If it's about which player has the highest high watermark, then it's Franklin.

But if you're making the call based on who has been the best over the journey, meaning Franklin hasn't been good enough for long enough, then surely Brown suffers in comparison with Lloyd.

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
CHF:

1. Tredrea
2. Riewoldt
3. JBrown

FF:

1. Lloyd
2. Fevola

Though I rate Pavlich as a top 5 player this decade, it takes his versatility into account (certainly as a key forward he's a star too). One thing working against him is his lack of finals appearances, but obviously that's more due to his team's inability than his own.

Bit surprised as how highly Brown is rated, but then again I'm not. Brown 'doesnt cry' like riewoldt, nor is he a 'flog of a bloke' like tredrea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 15, 2008
on thin ice
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is a really excellent question, compared to most of the juvenile biased rubbish that is usually found in bigfooty polls (The only exception being Franklin, what the hell is he doing in this poll?). Well done Gunnar.:thumbsu:

I chose Tredrea because he achieved the highest success without an established second banana. Tredrea carried a far greater load than Lloyd or Brown.

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
This is a really excellent question, compared to most of the juvenile biased rubbish that is usually found in bigfooty polls (The only exception being Franklin, what the hell is he doing in this poll?). Well done Gunnar.:thumbsu:
Threw Franklin in there because I reckon his 2008 was the best season produced by any of these guys.

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
^He's a good footballer, but at the same time he has a well-received image:

- he doesn't cry (riewoldt)
- he doesn't wear his shorts high (lloyd)
- he isn't a 'disgraceful bloke' (tredrea).

willoblue

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2009
Melbourne CBD
AFL Club
Fremantle
1.Brown
2. Tredrea
3. Lloyd

Pav better than Riewoldt.
Buddy most exciting & I agree with the poster who said Buddy's best was the best.
Fev, 2nd best FF after Lloyd

IMO

With Brown perhaps on the way out, where does he rank in this discussion?

Still overrated.

Lloyd and Riewoldt are the best two since Carey.

Rainfall

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 10, 2013
Wolf Creek
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Zyzz ~ Forever mirin'
Fev because if what happened didn't happen he would of retired at the end of this year and be pushing for 850 goals. If Franklin can't be the next to succeed 1000 goals it's a fluke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back