Who is more overrated? Ablett or Husband of Jo?

Take it to the polls. Who is the more overrated?

• Ablett

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Father of Jack and Ben, Husband of Jo, Son of Sergio

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Both the same

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you ever sat back and watched match replays from the 80's involving Geelong?
Don't just look at the marks and goals but take note of the contests he impacted each game. Look at his score involvements which is honestly his most underrated attribute.
Ablett is the best footballer of all time. No other player could flip games like he could. His power and marking, coupled with his speed was different to any other player.
Some say his closest rival was Malcolm Blight but he didn't have Ablett's strength. Ablett had to bustle with Frawley, Silvagni, Langford. Guys who are listed at 190cm+ and 95kg+ which is comparable to today's defenders like Rance, McGovern and Taylor. Remember this, Ablett was only 185cm tall.
This is like Jordan DeGoey having to play on all the key defenders for the remainder of his career.

Matthews never had to contend with bigger or stronger opponents. He got easy beats all the time and by the time his career was drawing to a finale, the heavy tag began to emerge.
There is no way Matthews dominates had his career started in 1982.
Matthews was also a bloody ordinary user of the footy. No question about his ability to get the ball but s**t! Could he butcher a footy.
Get the man outside the fifty metre line and he was never a chance of scoring. All his goals came 25-40 metres out.

Ablett scored often from 50 metres on his opposite foot lol :D
My memories of his playing days were his grand finals where 1 of them he was excellent, 1 he was good in, and in the other 2 he was awful. I also remember his half-hearted approach to professional sport, which probably stopped him from being the GOAT.

No player I've seen ever scagged as much as Silvagni. Nobody.

Which was because he was an absolute umpire's pet who knew he'd get away with it, and a limited footballer who had no hope of containing the likes of Dunstall playing within the rules. All FB's scrag? Chris Langford scragged less than any I've seen and would've kicked many more goals than Husband of Jo if he hadn't played in a team with Brereton & Dunstall at the other end.

I rate Silvagni on par with Glenn Archer, and most people here know I don't rate Glenn Archer terribly highly. Aside from Langford who was streets ahead of them both, guys like Jakovich & Chris Grant were also miles ahead. Of course Jakovich was jacked up on roids but so was the entire Eagles team so w/e.

Also the OP needs to put up a poll asking how we rate Silvagni so we can get a look at the numbers
Again, ask Jason Dunstall what he thinks of SOS... or rather, who was his hardest opponent. Know who Lockett named as his best opponent? SOS. None of what you say matters here.

Archer? Grant? Ahahaha. Hahahaha! You're killing me!

Again, ask Jason Dunstall what he thinks of SOS... or rather, who was his hardest opponent. Know who Lockett named as his best opponent? SOS. None of what you say matters here.

They are clueless..it is hilarious.

I believe Dunstall regarded Spud as his toughest opponent

I believe Dunstall regarded Spud as his toughest opponent
Not really, no.

Carey also said SOS and Jackovich were the two hardest backmen he ever played on.

So you have three of the best forwards, arguably, in the game's history saying that. Yet SOS was a scragger, wasn't that good, etc according to people who seem to have a bone to pick with him, don't like his sons, etc. Your word means absolutely nothing in this context.

You have a lot of anger and bitterness in you fella - also you continue to miss the 'N"' in your name.
Keep the melts coming.
Yes I'm angry to live in an unjust world where vanilla plodders like Silvagni are disgustingly overrated for the wrong reasons.

As I've said in the past, even Danny Frawley was a better player but never achieved near the same kudos because he lacked Husband of Jo's media-friendly prettyboy image. Actually I believe Dunstall is on record naming Spud as his toughest opponent and I'd take his opinion over anyone here. (OP beat me to it)

Actually I believe Dunstall is on record naming Spud as his toughest opponent and I'd take his opinion over anyone here. (OP beat me to it)
Yet Dunstall has said on record:
“Stephen Silvagni was probably the opponent I most worried about. I had the toughest time on him”.

So do you still take his opinion?

Both Carey and Lockett nominated him, too. Guess their word doesn't mean as much? Lol.

Last edited:
Yet Dunstall has said on record:

So do you still take his opinion?

Both Carey and Lockett nominated him, too. Guess their word doesn't mean as much? Lol.
As they say, “Anyone can randomly use quotation marks”

Dunstall just said the other week he regarded Frawley as the toughest.

Anyway, Ablett claimed his toughest opponent as Langford, so what? You don’t bring Langford into the conversation of if the greatest full back of all time. He was one of the best dozen, as is Silvagni. The truth is, if Silvagni’s dad had been a potato farmer from Bendigo, he wouldn’t have been in the conversation of the best-of-all-time. Nepotism is a cult in the AFL.

As they say, “Anyone can randomly use quotation marks”

Dunstall just said the other week he regarded Frawley as the toughest.

Anyway, Ablett claimed his toughest opponent as Langford, so what? You don’t bring Langford into the conversation of if the greatest full back of all time. He was one of the best dozen, as is Silvagni. The truth is, if Silvagni’s dad had been a potato farmer from Bendigo, he wouldn’t have been in the conversation of the best-of-all-time. Nepotism is a cult in the AFL.
Well no, I got it from the Carlton website where he was asked the question. Now you're going from "I believe" to "just said the other week". How convenient. Frawley was a tier lower as far as FBs go, not on SOS or Scarlett level.

I don't bring Langford into this because the thread is not about him. And wtf is that argument? That's a pointless thing to say, haha. It's like saying if Dunstall's parents lived in Mongolia instead and gave birth to him there, he wouldn't be one of the best forwards of all time. So what? At the end of it, he is in that conversation. Silvagni doesn't have to prove himself to the likes of you.

Well no, I got it from the Carlton website where he was asked the question. Now you're going from "I believe" to "just said the other week". How convenient. Frawley was a tier lower as far as FBs go, not on SOS or Scarlett level.

I don't bring Langford into this because the thread is not about him. And wtf is that argument? That's a pointless thing to say, haha. It's like saying if Dunstall's parents lived in Mongolia instead and gave birth to him there, he wouldn't be one of the best forwards of all time. So what? At the end of it, he is in that conversation. Silvagni doesn't have to prove himself to the likes of you.
Well, someone does if they want to prove that he isn’t massively overrated

Sorry about posting in such an old thread, just seen this now and it is laughable to consider either player overrated. Ablett is the best footballer i have ever seen in my life and SOS is the best fullback i have ever seen. The complaints about SOS being an octopus and he would give away free kicks now are just stupid, Locket and Dunstall and all great full forwards would as well with push in the backs. The very very good full back James Clement, who was immovable when he had his position and one at the best at holding the forward out with hands in the back would do the same if playing under today's rules, but players play within the rules of the day and against the opponents of the day. SOS was a brilliant full back at a time of brilliant full forwards. Is he in the top 30 or 50 players to ever play the game? No, but then does anyone "rate" him as high as that? Was he a brilliant and effective full back? Absolutely.

In regards to Ablett, i grew up in Geelong and hated the team, but he was a magician and i would often go to games just to watch him perform his magic. He was extraordinary in fact and didn't start playing full forward until he was in his late 20s, yet still went on to kick 1000 goals including a ridiculous 124 goals in 17 games. People love to tear down previous players, or they want to use people's personal lives to sully their careers. Ablett wasn't a great trainer (but the games wasn't very professional), he did have some dark spots in his personal life... but none of that means he was overrated... he was a complete freak of nature.

Matthews never had to contend with bigger or stronger opponents. He got easy beats all the time and by the time his career was drawing to a finale, the heavy tag began to emerge.
There is no way Matthews dominates had his career started in 1982.
Matthews was also a bloody ordinary user of the footy. No question about his ability to get the ball but s**t! Could he butcher a footy.
Get the man outside the fifty metre line and he was never a chance of scoring. All his goals came 25-40 metres out.

Another tearing down a GREAT of the game. Leigh Matthews was an absolute champion of the game and would have been a champion in any era. He played to the situation of the era, but he was a phenomenal footballer. Another that is clearly inside the top 5 players i have ever seen

Back