Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

18 months plus before we are even considering a new coach. Lots can change in that time

Need to accept and embrace - Nicks isn’t going anywhere. Any change that occurs will be assistant coaches at the end of the year - which gives him at least next year.

Earliest potential head coach change would be mid 2026 imo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Corey Enright and Ben Matthews have done decent apprenticeships.
Enright would be a chance but I'd prefer to get him as an assistant to have a closer look at his suitability. Getting him out of Geelong will be difficult however. Still lives here and commutes to Moorabbin. Kids still in school in Geelong.

He's interesting as he was one of the purge of all assistants at the start of 2022. Everyone here thought it should have been Chris Scott to go. Not the assistants. (Knights and Scarlett were the others)

Geelong of course went on to win the flag in 2022!

As much as I think Buckley wouldn't be the best choice, hiring a 'highly regarded' assistant in their first senior job won't bring us success, as good as whoever that is might be, simply because we need someone who can blow up the status quo of absolute mediocrity that has infested every level of the club, and someone in their first senior role won't have the ability to do that.

Blight was able to bring success to an underachieving list after culling some senior players for that same reason. A new coach could work at other clubs who have worked things out off-field but as long as people like Adam Kelly and Justin Reid are calling the shots in our football department, a first-time coach will have their hands tied behind their backs and ultimately just end up coaching for preservation like Nicks is currently.

18 months plus before we are even considering a new coach. Lots can change in that time

Need to accept and embrace - Nicks isn’t going anywhere. Any change that occurs will be assistant coaches at the end of the year - which gives him at least next year.

Hmm nah, if the team plays poorly enough Nicks still go early. Pressure was starting to build a little after the 0-4 start and if it hadn't turned around he'd have been at risk this season. I think he will certainly last the season at this stage given the last couple of months, but next year anything could happen. Expectation will be that the team continues to improve.

If we were a train wreck next year by mid next year we'd sack him. We were a train wreck in the first 3 or 4 rounds but since then despite falling short & being underhwelming it's not train wreck stuff & players are clearly still playing for him or we'd have rolled over against the Pies when they got like 30 up in the 2nd quarter.

For all Nicks faults the one thing he has going for him is we are mostly a competitive side despite our pretty young & inexperienced team. I think most weeks were still bottom 4 on this front. For years we were a horribly flakey side once we left AO, very prone to no shows but we don't suffer too many of those under Nicks. Issue is more about how we actually start winning a bunch of these instead of competitive & honorable losses.

giphy.gif

Buckley or riot.

If we were a train wreck next year by mid next year we'd sack him. We were a train wreck in the first 3 or 4 rounds but since then despite falling short & being underhwelming it's not train wreck stuff & players are clearly still playing for him or we'd have rolled over against the Pies when they got like 30 up in the 2nd quarter.

For all Nicks faults the one thing he has going for him is we are mostly a competitive side despite our pretty young & inexperienced team. I think most weeks were still bottom 4 on this front. For years we were a horribly flakey side once we left AO, very prone to no shows but we don't suffer too many of those under Nicks. Issue is more about how we actually start winning a bunch of these instead of competitive & honorable losses.

And that’s my point. The club knows the list isn’t good enough and needs bolstering. We are basically highly competitive every week

The first step towards change would be assistants. And getting some recruits.

I think he is 100% safe until mid next year and highly likely to survive into 2026 without finals

Having a thread about a new coach to me suggests something is on the horizon - even if not immediate. And I don’t think that’s remotely correct

I am not sure he is that secure. Crows have been quite ruthless sacking coaches over the years - Shaw, Ayres, Sando. A really poor finish to this year - say end up with 9 wins or less or a non finals year in 2025 would see him gone and paid IMO.

As much as I think Buckley wouldn't be the best choice, hiring a 'highly regarded' assistant in their first senior job won't bring us success, as good as whoever that is might be, simply because we need someone who can blow up the status quo of absolute mediocrity that has infested every level of the club, and someone in their first senior role won't have the ability to do that.

Blight was able to bring success to an underachieving list after culling some senior players for that same reason. A new coach could work at other clubs who have worked things out off-field but as long as people like Adam Kelly and Justin Reid are calling the shots in our football department, a first-time coach will have their hands tied behind their backs and ultimately just end up coaching for preservation like Nicks is currently.
Accepting that virtually all decent players (esp non SA lads) don't want to move to Adelaide, would you not say Reid has collectively recruited the best gun players in trades in recent year? Who else has gained AA quality players like Dawson and Rankine in recent years? Plus 10 year contract for Gulden, and big plays at Redman, Oliver and Day. Not sure anyone else has been as aggressive.

AND he and his teams draft swaps have been excellent over the years. If not leagues best, certainly top quartile of teams.

Not sure Reid is the major issue and my concern is more he realises he is fighting a losing battle and jumps ship to a MLB based team in a similar role.

And that’s my point. The club knows the list isn’t good enough and needs bolstering. We are basically highly competitive every week

The first step towards change would be assistants. And getting some recruits.

I think he is 100% safe until mid next year and highly likely to survive into 2026 without finals

Having a thread about a new coach to me suggests something is on the horizon - even if not immediate. And I don’t think that’s remotely correct

If we end up with 9/10 wins or less (possible) and Buckley became available wouldn't you want us asking the question?

If we end up with 9/10 wins or less (possible) and Buckley became available wouldn't you want us asking the question?

I just don’t think that the club is at all in-sync with the group of supporters/ members that think Nicks is in danger.

I think there are several layers of “blame” they have before it gets to Nicks

I think the general selection moans on here would not at all be reflected in the club

Tactically, we are able to compete - not win very often - with the very best sides.

So I suspect they acknowledge we need 2-3 more quality recruits to improve our class and depth. And that opinion is supported by all of the commentary out of the club and the media reports linking us to everyone

I just don’t think that the club is at all in-sync with the group of supporters/ members that think Nicks is in danger.

I think the general selection moans on here would not at all be reflected in the club

Tactically, we are able to compete - not win very often - with the very best sides.

So I suspect they acknowledge we need 2-3 more quality recruits to improve our class and depth. And that opinion is supported by all of the commentary out of the club and the media reports linking us to everyone

that's fair and may well be correct. and its hard to argue another couple of decent experienced players and/or 20-30 games additional experience pumped into our plethora of talented under 60 ish game players (half the team on the weekend) would see improvement. and that's without a few of the most talented youngsters even playing currently (TT, Murray, Worrell and Pedlar).

I just think the cold hard facts of a poor finish - say a couple of wins less relative to last year type regression - and hard questions may be asked, esp if a big name coach like Buckley was available. It would be interesting to know if any '2024 wins' type trigger KPI could have been introduced into Nicks contract renewal - probably not?

and I am not one of these OTT posters who blame everything, inc the JFK assassination, on Matty. the complete rebuild was on track with improvement each year until the snags hit earlier this year and the ongoing losses in close games. I just think the way we finish 2024 could be important for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on now. Before the season the club made it clear the expectations were finals. You're saying they've now shifted the goal posts?

In all likelihood Nicks won't even get that close to finals this year.

You reckon the worst coach we've ever had on win loss record, who fails to make finals in a year the club says they expect to make finals, survives into 2026? Let alone 2025?

If we miss finals and he's not rightfully sacked, the club has blatantly lied to the fans about expectations for the season

Come on now. Before the season the club made it clear the expectations were finals. You're saying they've now shifted the goal posts?

In all likelihood Nicks won't even get that close to finals this year.

You reckon the worst coach we've ever had on win loss record, who fails to make finals in a year the club says they expect to make finals, survives into 2026? Let alone 2025?

If we miss finals and he's not rightfully sacked, the club has blatantly lied to the fans about expectations for the season
I feel like you are giving the club bit more credit than they deserve here.

They are heavily invested Nicks, they could have as ruthless as there were in the past, but this rebuild is on them, sacking Nicks is the biggest acknowledgement they've failed.

he will get till mid season next year, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back