Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on now. Before the season the club made it clear the expectations were finals. You're saying they've now shifted the goal posts?

In all likelihood Nicks won't even get that close to finals this year.

You reckon the worst coach we've ever had on win loss record, who fails to make finals in a year the club says they expect to make finals, survives into 2026? Let alone 2025?

If we miss finals and he's not rightfully sacked, the club has blatantly lied to the fans about expectations for the season

I didn’t say there wouldn’t be repercussions. But I think it will fall in other areas first. Assistant coach bolstering/changing and recruiting.
There is no way they will sack him before his extension kicks in - that automatically makes him safe until near the bye next year.

And looking at our last 7 weeks - and we could be undefeated over the 7 weeks - we are going well enough and the players are invested enough we won’t drop away badly through the end of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I didn’t say there wouldn’t be repercussions. But I think it will fall in other areas first. Assistant coach bolstering/changing and recruiting.
There is no way they will sack him before his extension kicks in - that automatically makes him safe until near the bye next year.

And looking at our last 7 weeks - and we could be undefeated over the 7 weeks - we are going well enough and the players are invested enough we won’t drop away badly through the end of this year.

Our only real bad loss for the year was the game against Fremantle.

Look at the calibre of assistant coaches both at our club and Port. It's very hard to get good assistants to move here from Vic when there are so many clubs and therefore so many opportunities over there. Our only reliable pool is here in SA, and it's a small pool.

I'm sure any prospective coach would be willing to relocate for a senior coaching role, but it's much harder to get someone good to pack up their life and come here for what is essentially a sideways career move.

Come on now. Before the season the club made it clear the expectations were finals. You're saying they've now shifted the goal posts?

In all likelihood Nicks won't even get that close to finals this year.

You reckon the worst coach we've ever had on win loss record, who fails to make finals in a year the club says they expect to make finals, survives into 2026? Let alone 2025?

If we miss finals and he's not rightfully sacked, the club has blatantly lied to the fans about expectations for the season
Expecting to make finals doesn't necessarily mean that missing finals is a sackable offence. To give an obvious example that does not apply to the Crows, you could have a season with catastrophic injury issues for example. Expectations can change.

In the case of Adelaide this year, if things continue as they have the last couple of months and we end with 10ish wins and a mid-table, non-finals finish in which the club is competitive pretty much every week I think it's close to 0% chance that he's sacked. Doesn't mean he's immune next year though.

One reason is the 'competitive every week' thing, which I know does not rate as important on here but I do think it matters to the club, and I also think it's an achievement of a sort for Nicks. As someone else mentioned in this thread, the fact that the team never fades out of games even when behind is evidence that the players are fully invested in playing for Nicks, the absence of which would be one of the big triggers for sacking a coach. The record in the last 22 games is a pretty mediocre 9 wins, 12 losses and a draw. Average losing margin in those 12 losses is 10.6, with only one loss by more than 20 points and 7 by less than a kick. It's a bizarre record but it's certainly less likely to lead to a sacking than if you add the occasional smashing in there, and I think it will be viewed as a strong defence of Nicks that an average improvement of one goal a game would be a huge swing in results.

The other reason is that I think given the two year contract he'll be given the chance to recover from the poor start and if the record after round 4 is pretty good at the end of the year, they'll value that highly.

And that’s my point. The club knows the list isn’t good enough and needs bolstering. We are basically highly competitive every week

The first step towards change would be assistants. And getting some recruits.

I think he is 100% safe until mid next year and highly likely to survive into 2026 without finals

Having a thread about a new coach to me suggests something is on the horizon - even if not immediate. And I don’t think that’s remotely correct

We are 'highly' competitive but lowly skilled as Nicks has prioritised poory skilled triers and over the hill seniors over our skilled youngsters.

We have seen with Soligo, Nank and now Cook what can happen when you give youngsters with talent a decent go.

Love to be rid of Smith and Laird, bring in Curtin and Dowling, we have Pedlar to come back in when he's over his injury.

There are talented players we need to get games into, wasting so many games on
  • McSpudley - he's never going to get there
  • Smith - thanks for your service but 1 serviceable game in 5 doesn't cut the mustard when so many can play his role.
  • Laird - Should not play if Crouch is fit and firing, more wasted midfield minutes that should be going to the next gen.
  • Murphy - Keep as depth but we should be playing the better skilled youngsters.

An experienced coach would make the appropriate changes and there would be an instant improvement with 4 or 5 players changes.

We are 'highly' competitive but lowly skilled as Nicks has prioritised poory skilled triers and over the hill seniors over our skilled youngsters.

We have seen with Soligo, Nank and now Cook what can happen when you give youngsters with talent a decent go.

Love to be rid of Smith and Laird, bring in Curtin and Dowling, we have Pedlar to come back in when he's over his injury.

There are talented players we need to get games into, wasting so many games on
  • McSpudley - he's never going to get there
  • Smith - thanks for your service but 1 serviceable game in 5 doesn't cut the mustard when so many can play his role.
  • Laird - Should not play if Crouch is fit and firing, more wasted midfield minutes that should be going to the next gen.
  • Murphy - Keep as depth but we should be playing the better skilled youngsters.

An experienced coach would make the appropriate changes and there would be an instant improvement with 4 or 5 players changes.

Part of that is on recruiting though. The gun high picks at the club when Nicks arrived were McHenry,Jones, Milera, Fog and McAsey

The majority of our best young talent has been drafted in the last 3 years - and have generally played early and consistently

The non standouts - or guys that have been deemed to need further development - have taken longer, and in some cases only get a chance through injury

Part of that is on recruiting though. The gun high picks at the club when Nicks arrived were McHenry,Jones, Milera, Fog and McAsey

The majority of our best young talent has been drafted in the last 3 years - and have generally played early and consistently

The non standouts - or guys that have been deemed to need further development - have taken longer, and in some cases only get a chance through injury

We need to get more of the guys drafted in the last three years into the side if that's the case. Taylor really needs to be getting games now considering it's his third year in the system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expecting to make finals doesn't necessarily mean that missing finals is a sackable offence. To give an obvious example that does not apply to the Crows, you could have a season with catastrophic injury issues for example. Expectations can change.

In the case of Adelaide this year, if things continue as they have the last couple of months and we end with 10ish wins and a mid-table, non-finals finish in which the club is competitive pretty much every week I think it's close to 0% chance that he's sacked. Doesn't mean he's immune next year though.

One reason is the 'competitive every week' thing, which I know does not rate as important on here but I do think it matters to the club, and I also think it's an achievement of a sort for Nicks. As someone else mentioned in this thread, the fact that the team never fades out of games even when behind is evidence that the players are fully invested in playing for Nicks, the absence of which would be one of the big triggers for sacking a coach. The record in the last 22 games is a pretty mediocre 9 wins, 12 losses and a draw. Average losing margin in those 12 losses is 10.6, with only one loss by more than 20 points and 7 by less than a kick. It's a bizarre record but it's certainly less likely to lead to a sacking than if you add the occasional smashing in there, and I think it will be viewed as a strong defence of Nicks that an average improvement of one goal a game would be a huge swing in results.

The other reason is that I think given the two year contract he'll be given the chance to recover from the poor start and if the record after round 4 is pretty good at the end of the year, they'll value that highly.

That’s all very fair

Would Rahilly come back for the head coaching role?

Don't rate Buckley but I'm at the point where I think Buckley would be a far better option than Nicks.

Nigel Lappin?

We need so much more quality all around. Godden and Wright need to play our players in the positions we drafted them in. Curtin at FB is inexcusable.

Would Rahilly come back for the head coaching role?

Don't rate Buckley but I'm at the point where I think Buckley would be a far better option than Nicks.

Nigel Lappin?

We need so much more quality all around. Godden and Wright need to play our players in the positions we drafted them in. Curtin at FB is inexcusable.
I highly doubt the SANFL coach has the autonomy to decide above the senior coach and development manager on who plays where. If he's playing FB it's because as a group they've decided it's the best place for him. They seem to have the idea to continually play guys to their weaknesses as a way to improve, rather than play to their strengths to give them confidence.

Is there a single player in the Matthew Nicks coaching career (all levels) who might list him as the reason he grew into the good player he is today?

If he's playing FB it's because as a group they've decided it's the best place for him. They seem to have the idea to continually play guys to their weaknesses as a way to improve, rather than play to their strengths to give them confidence.
Curtin's offensive game is more than adequate at AFL level, what's holding him back is leaking goals to 4th/5th best forwards. And opposition teams now all know to drag him back to the last line of defence and expose him. So, regardless of where we start him, he's playing on the full back line at AFL level until he can defend.

If we want him to play effectively at AFL, which we do, then it's his defensive ability we need to work on. The best SANFL forward in a team is probably at best a 4th/5th forward standard at AFL.

Seems a smart approach to me in his (current) development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back