Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My next concern is that whoever is appointed as our next coach will still be that next year should the current administration (board) get replaced near year’s end.

has adam kingsley ever played football?

On Brad Scott, I don't think he's the worst option out there but I describe him as a "sideways" move rather than an upgrade on Buckley.

Scott coached 10 seasons at North for two prelims (2014, 2015) and 4 finals. Some have argued that with North's limited resources, he didn't do a terrible job in the circumstances.

Personally he wouldn't be high on my priority list. I would either go for Clarkson or Pyke if you want experience, or look at an experienced assistant such as Kingsley, Caracella or Yze.
My preference is Pyke but I can understand the B.Scott thinking. At North he wasn't just dealing with limited resources. He took over right when the expansion teams were starting up and the AFL really had contempt for North. He had to deal with a middling list, with no high draft picks on the horizon due to GWS and GC, at a club that literally couldn't afford to bottom out. At the time, most clubs could weather the storm of spending a few years rebuilding. North didn't have that luxury and in many ways never have in the past 30 odd years. They are a club that struggles when they are successful and will die if they are terrible for too long.

Considering the list Scott inherited wasn't promising and he didn't have the option to go nuclear and rebuild, he managed to put a competitive side out on the park for pretty much his entire tenure. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with a GWS "Ferrari" or a Buckley/C.Scott like inheritance.

My preference is Pyke but I can understand the B.Scott thinking. At North he wasn't just dealing with limited resources. He took over right when the expansion teams were starting up and the AFL really had contempt for North. He had to deal with a middling list, with no high draft picks on the horizon due to GWS and GC, at a club that literally couldn't afford to bottom out. At the time, most clubs could weather the storm of spending a few years rebuilding. North didn't have that luxury and in many ways never have in the past 30 odd years. They are a club that struggles when they are successful and will die if they are terrible for too long.

Considering the list Scott inherited wasn't promising and he didn't have the option to go nuclear and rebuild, he managed to put a competitive side out on the park for pretty much his entire tenure. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with a GWS "Ferrari" or a Buckley/C.Scott like inheritance.
Does banking four wins against young expansion teams flatter the record?
Thoughts of Scott as a senior assistant?

Does banking four wins against young expansion teams flatter the record?
Thoughts of Scott as a senior assistant?
It doesn't hurt. Not as flattering as half your games in Geelong, home state recruiting bias, academy access, elite talent drafted on the back of years of failure and my personal favourite...someone who played for the club over 20 years ago happening to father a gun footballer.

Looks like Scott wants the main job be it coach or AFL CEO.

Best players Brad Scott has coached are Cunnington and Goldy. If he became our coach I'd give him a chance to coach with more than 2 good players

:moustache:
Goldstein really has had a pretty wasted career at North. Props for his loyalty, but imagine how many flags he'd have if he'd fled to GWS or Geelong!

I'm not sure where this GOAT comes from. There was a bloke named Jock McHale who went alright in the coaching stakes. Coached for 37 years, 713 games, a H&A win rate of about 68%, 16 GF's and 7 premierships.

Norm Smith 6 premierships, a couple of others 5, a handful of others on 4.

Clarko 16 years, 59% H&A, 5 GF's 4 premierships.
Agree. But if he went on and replicated his Hawthorn success at Collingwood then he‘d be well and truly in the discussion. Not saying he is the best now, rather he may have than desire to become the best by taking another team to the pinnacle. Several times hopefully if it’s us.

Pardon the intrusion, but Kingsley is highly regarded at Richmond.
I reckon he will make a very good senior coach one day, whether it's next year in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. But if he went on and replicated his Hawthorn success at Collingwood then he‘d be well and truly in the discussion. Not saying he is the best now, rather he may have than desire to become the best by taking another team to the pinnacle. Several times hopefully if it’s us.

If he was to come to the Pies and win us 4x flags I'd bow down to him.

Best players Brad Scott has coached are Cunnington and Goldy. If he became our coach I'd give him a chance to coach with more than 2 good players

:moustache:

Bit rough on Boomer Harvey I think. Though when it comes to quality players over the past decade North probably haven't had a great deal of them.

Bit rough on Boomer Harvey I think. Though when it comes to quality players over the past decade North probably haven't had a great deal of them.
The North side that made the prelim in 2015 on paper was arguably one of the most unremarkable in modern footy. The more you look at it, the more appreciative you have to be for Scott's coaching. They should never have been near it with that team.

The North side that made the prelim in 2015 on paper was arguably one of the most unremarkable in modern footy. The more you look at it, the more appreciative you have to be for Scott's coaching. They should never have been near it with that team.

It's a valid point. I definitely think he over achieved with them.

Heard this morning that we had Mitchell over the line as head coach with Scott as his senior assistant. Same bloke told me about GW not wanting to work with Clarko earlier in the year. Seems to normally have some good mail.

Heard this morning that we had Mitchell over the line as head coach with Scott as his senior assistant. Same bloke told me about GW not wanting to work with Clarko earlier in the year. Seems to normally have some good mail.
There is no form guide for ‘good mail’. Funny stuff when people use that to add gravitas to a rumour

That’s a huge surprise that Scott would accept a position beneath a newbie.
Doesn’t sound right.
If it were correct, then Pyke and Scott as an assistant would also be plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back