Who's likely to be our best small forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure we'll really operate with a dedicated small forward this year, as I tend to think our game plan is built around pressuring the opposition to force the turnover and seize on it through the centre, but I guess the closest thing will be the roles that Pickett, Sumner, Polson, Armfield, Wright and others will play.

In terms of crumbing the packs and wheeling out of forward line stoppages I can see Murphy, Wright, Polson, SPS, SOS and Fisher getting involved there.

Just watching the highlights again the only thing that might stop him will be spending too much time in the midfield.
Keep in mind some of those APS fields are shoe boxes; he'll be doing a lot more running (both ways) in senior footy.

Make or break for Jed Lamb. He's now an old hand and should be accumulating more midfield minutes.
Of the 4 to come to us from the Giants last year he was always going to be the one with the most limited upside. Pity, cause he's the one who set the tone for pressure acts inside F50 which we've been abysmal at and it was no coincidence that dropped away when he and Curnow went out of the side. Can't see him getting anywhere near as competent on the ball as Wright is.

Keep in mind some of those APS fields are shoe boxes; he'll be doing a lot more running (both ways) in senior footy.

No doubt but he doesn't look scared of running and he's got a mature rig.

I absolutely love the way his first instinct is to turn on the jets and carry the footy FORWARD.

I'd be much happier with Polson getting the pill than Graham.

Good topic.

I'm a little concerned it'll be Armfield and Wright again. But if we can have one of the younger guys really step up, that'd be fantastic.

I'd say Sumner and Buckley the next most likely.

Doubt Pickett will be and running for the first half of the year (given his injuries). I think Smedts will play behind the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good topic.

I'm a little concerned it'll be Armfield and Wright again. But if we can have one of the younger guys really step up, that'd be fantastic.

Doubt Pickett will be and running for the first half of the year (given his injuries). I think Smedts will play behind the ball.
Pickett is running and training now. The only two names on the injury list are Cripps and Byrne.

Pickett is running and training now. The only two names on the injury list are Cripps and Byrne.

I would be very very surprised if Pickett is playing seniors in first month of season.
Having said that, I have no doubt later in season he will. However, at this stage I not seeing him as a small forward , although to build his fitness base up slowly he may start from there this season.
I like we picked up some small quick, skillful players. Nothing I like better that multiple fleet footed skillful runners forward of centre creating chaos for opposition. When combined well it is very hard to reel in.
I feel like this draft period is a little like the one we got Eddie Betts in pre-season draft. Even then I remember there was talk he was a bit special. I think in the guys we got we will find another like him. Although what I want even more is 2 or 3 classy midfielders. I am hoping SPS and Charlie Curnow can turn into new ones in next three or four seasons. Hope we find another classy one in first round of 2017 draft too. If Zac Fisher or Polson turned into another that would be awesome. I know little about them though. I wait until I watch them live to really feel sure of their ability.

Last edited:
to me only lebois and gallucci seem like true small forwards and they've combined for a grand total of 0 afl games. sumner and buckley definitely look better facing the goal than they do with their back to it and in the limited vision i've seen of pickett he's the same. so at this stage you have to say smedts, but at this stage it's literally and figuratively a 'who's the tallest midget' debate.

but the answer to the question is matthew wright by a country mile.

As of right now it would be Sumner. Looking forward to seeing how he goes next year with a full preseason under his belt.

Long term, in my opinion, it will be LeBois. Looks to have all the tools and an innate ability at finishing around goals. All the others will rotate through the midfield too much to be dedicated small forwards.

If our recent drafting suggests one thing, it's that we are placing a huge emphasis on clean disposal and speed (in line with the trend of the modern game) as well as creating many dynamic midfield rotations. All the inside type midfielders in this draft had average disposal and I think that put us off. The game is trending away from carrying guys with iffy disposal and small players with talent are in vogue.

I would be very very surprised if Pickett is playing seniors in first month of season.
Having said that, I have no doubt later in season he will. However, at this stage I not seeing him as a small forward , although to build his fitness base up slowly he may start from there this season.
I like we picked up some small quick, skillful players. Nothing I like better that multiple fleet footed skillful runners forward of centre creating chaos for opposition. When combined well it is very hard to reel in.
I feel like this draft period is a little like the one we got Eddie Betts in pre-season draft. Even then I remember there was talk he was a bit special. I think in the guys we got we will find another like him. Although what I want even more is 2 or 3 classy midfielders. I am hoping SPS and Charlie Curnow can turn into new ones in next three or four seasons. Hope we find another classy one in first round of 2017 draft too. If Zac Fisher or Polson turned into another that would be awesome. I know little about them though. I wait until I watch them live to really feel sure of their ability.
Doesn't have the endurance to go through the midfield yet. I'll just settle for getting him out playing consistent footy at VFL level at this point. Hopefully he surprises us all.

First name that came to my mind was Sumner, however I think if he gets a full pre-season, we'll see him more in the midfield than in the forward line.

Buckley is more likely to be switched back to defense in the absence of Byrne IMO.

SPS and Pickett will both be more mid focused I would expect.

I'm going to say Rhys Palmer. Might not kick the most goals, but will be the best defensive and pressuring forward we play.

Good topic.

I reckon Buckley is least likely unless he shows something he hasn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back