Why are test crowds so poor around the world?

Remove this Banner Ad

Incorrect. Can buy at the ground for $2 grand stand, $5 corporate box, $1 grassed area under scoreboard and $0 on other side of the ground. I'm in Kandy at the monemt.

Really? I read those prices online. Lay on the hill for a buck and watch test cricket. Happy days.

Really? I read those prices online. Lay on the hill for a buck and watch test cricket. Happy days.

Yeah sorry I should of mentioned this, they don't sell ant tickets online. Anything online is by some other company buying tickets and reselling them. I think I seen the tickets you were talking about. I was in the corporate box yesterday because the missus was feeling a little sick so we thought having the aircon might be the go. Gonna sit in the hill today

In Australia and England they start tests on Fridays usually, or Thursdays at the absolute earliest.
In a typical three test series to me, a good series structure is to start the first test on a thursday, second test on a friday, a week off, then third test starts on thursday or friday.

Thursday is ok as the first two days are going to generate the most interest, then as interest typically wanes it moves to the weekend when people are free.

Starting tests on a Tuesday is stupid, unless it's absolutely necessary (public holiday).

Because of the ICC mandated three day minimum break between Tests its not possible to have back-to-back Friday starts.

If a game start on Friday and is scheduled until Tuesday, the next game can't start until Saturday (Wed, Thu, Fri being the three day minimum). Its the same reason that the Sydney test starts on 3 January instead of 2 January like it used to, and why we start so many games on Thursday (that way the next one can start the following Friday).

But why did this test start on a Tuesday instead of a Thursday?
From what I can gather weekends aren't really a thing in Sri Lanka. friday seems to be a day a lot have off/local shops shut. Full moon is usually a holiday to. So maybe one of the next tests day 1/2 fall on it and they will expect a big crowd. Not many here go to test cricket. Most the locals can name every Aussie player from the 90's yet only about 2 from the current Sri Lanka test side. It's all about 1 Dayers and t20s here

They're not just poor, they are non existent.

Would be an interesting study to undertake. Survey cricket fans outside of Aus/NZ/Eng to find out why they are not attending tests.

Were test crowds in SL/Ind/WI strong in the past?

I'm sure I remember during the epic India vs Australia test series in 2001 there were crowds of 70000-80000 at the Eden Gardens Test in Kolkata (before they downsized the ground). Then the test crowds in India started to really drop off not long after that. Could be wrong.

Last edited:
India were getting good crowds up to less than 10 years ago. Ditto Pakistan before terrorism.

Windies before 2005 were getting decent crowds too, but they've been a s**t side since then. NZ have seemingly increased in the last decade, and South Africa hasn't changed much.

In a typical three test series to me, a good series structure is to start the first test on a thursday, second test on a friday, a week off, then third test starts on thursday or friday.

Thursday is ok as the first two days are going to generate the most interest, then as interest typically wanes it moves to the weekend when people are free.

Starting tests on a Tuesday is stupid, unless it's absolutely necessary (public holiday).

I think Tests should start on the Friday because of the number of 3 day Tests you have these days. Not much good getting to Sunday and the match is over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching two tests from overseas recently and there was a great crowd at the England-Pakistan game and a pitiful crowd at the first day of the West Indies-India game (admittedly a weekday).

It seems around the world that there are really on decent crowds in Australia and England. I'm even surprised at times by average crowds in India.

What are the reasons?

Is it pricing? I remember hearing some ridiculous stuff like a ticket to one test in the Caribbean costing the equivalent of one months average wage and a test in India where the public could only buy a five day pass. Are the administrators to blame?

Is it spectator facilities? Eg have some countries ever heard of shade?

Have England and Australia better managed to turn test cricket into a social event?

Get a copy of the DVD "Death of a Gentleman". That will answer all your questions.

Are you aware of the recent developments with the ICC?

Some very positive signs, which is an improvement in contrast to the blatant disregard shown in 2014.

I think Tests should start on the Friday because of the number of 3 day Tests you have these days. Not much good getting to Sunday and the match is over.
Yeah but needs to be a balance. If the first test starts on a Friday, then assuming the next test is the next weekend it must start on a Saturday. The Thursday/Friday Day 1 seems to strike the best balance for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back