Moved Thread Why does Richmond get destroyed by the umpires every week ?

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I've seen this year you'd be firmly on the bottom of the free kick differential ladder.

I think we got the rub of the green against you guys when we played from memory. You know you're going badly when that happens.

Although I seem to remember some pretty undisciplined play where you gave away repeat 50s.

From what I've seen this year you'd be firmly on the bottom of the free kick differential ladder.

I think we got the rub of the green against you guys when we played from memory. You know you're going badly when that happens.

Although I seem to remember some pretty undisciplined play where you gave away repeat 50s.
Agree that we as a team are very undisciplined and do play on the edge
For the most part I don’t have massive issues with the free kicks we give away

Sure some calls are howlers but every team cops at least one a game for the most part

But and I’m obviously saying this with a lot of bias as a tigers fan but it genuinely seems like we don’t get a lot of calls or rewards for things like tackles or general scraging of our players yet the oppo sides that we go up against get those 50/50 holding calls played regularly against us

I’m not saying it’s some grand conspiracy either and umpires are going out of their way to not pay us frees but for whatever reason it’s very rare we seem to have a well umpired game if that makes sense

Yeah I do think when Richmond are "off", they seem to start giving away sloppy frees a lot. Particularly players like Bolton and Pickett.

But the last two weeks, they haven't been doing that. The one against Baker I think last week when he gave a very slight elbow to a Freo player after a mark (who shouldn't have been hanging on anyway), and last night a very iffy call against Bolton with of course the 50m penalty for some kind of dissent. Those ones are just garbage, and right now they're copping them and not getting any their way. Any other club's supporters would be just as pissed off.

They push and shove relentlessly knowing they will sometimes get pinged but mostly not.

So instead of a 50/50 contest they make it an 80/20 contest and end up ahead.

Its a clever tactic.

Like the Dogs and throwing the ball. They do it all the time but maybe get pinged once or twice a game at most, so its a clever tactic.

They push and shove relentlessly knowing they will sometimes get pinged but mostly not.

So instead of a 50/50 contest they make it an 80/20 contest and end up ahead.

Its a clever tactic.

Like the Dogs and throwing the ball. They do it all the time but maybe get pinged once or twice a game at most, so its a clever tactic.
They also hold off the ball a lot all across the ground to stop forwards leading.

I noticed this in the Freo v Richmond game where I was watching live as you can’t see this on TV.

I think Richmond are very disciplined and they have trained these two things as a tactic rather than umpires having a vendetta against them. It means you lose the free kick count but they must have data that it is worth it.

I do not classify this in the same basket as training to drawing free kicks. That just seems dirty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that we as a team are very undisciplined and do play on the edge
For the most part I don’t have massive issues with the free kicks we give away

Sure some calls are howlers but every team cops at least one a game for the most part

But and I’m obviously saying this with a lot of bias as a tigers fan but it genuinely seems like we don’t get a lot of calls or rewards for things like tackles or general scraging of our players yet the oppo sides that we go up against get those 50/50 holding calls played regularly against us

I’m not saying it’s some grand conspiracy either and umpires are going out of their way to not pay us frees but for whatever reason it’s very rare we seem to have a well umpired game if that makes sense

I think you as a team are very disciplined and play on the edge.

My observation is that your game plan (which has evolved over time but still has lots of common elements) involves:
  • aggressive tackling
  • aggressive field position play - moving the ball forward, scrambling and knocking it forward, etc.
  • encouraging risks such as running with the football from stoppages, fend offs, long kicks forward to a contest, as long as these help gain field.position
  • slightly smaller but more mobile KP and intercept players
  • big bollocking rucks (rather than precision tappers)

All of the above contribute to giving away free kicks

Why don't you get paid them? The opposite. The perfect Richmond goal seems to be high pressure in the forward 50, followed by an intercept mark and turnover, quick recovery and then a small forward running in from 10m out. Or alternatively, a long kick to Riewoldt who spoils in a 1 on 2, then the cavalry arrives, swarms forward and Martin snaps a goal from 30 out. These patterns generate very few free kicks.

Very rarely do you just bomb.it to a 1-1 contest (and thus get marking contest frees). Rarely do your mids sling it around by hand to get the perfect kick set up (and thus get frees from.opposition tackles). Rarely does your ruckman get bowled over by a bigger body, wtc.

On top of that, tackles are rarely rewarded generally. Combine 'no prior' with 'knocked out in the tackle', add a dose of 'ok he swung around 3x and dropped it but he at least tried to handball' and the number of HTB actually paid is low for the whole league.

As a complete contrast, Carlton typically play slow mids, sling the ball around by hand at stoppages, including going backwards, kick long to big/dominant key forwards 96 times per game in 1-1 situations, deprioritide field position in favour of 'safex kicks and play smaller/mobile rucks. And typically win the free kick count while losing the game

So Richmond lose the free kick count every week... but won 3 premierships and even as you reload/rebuild managed to make finals last year and look set to give it a crack in 2023 too. I would just be satisfied with that...

Yeah I do think when Richmond are "off", they seem to start giving away sloppy frees a lot. Particularly players like Bolton and Pickett.

But the last two weeks, they haven't been doing that. The one against Baker I think last week when he gave a very slight elbow to a Freo player after a mark (who shouldn't have been hanging on anyway), and last night a very iffy call against Bolton with of course the 50m penalty for some kind of dissent. Those ones are just garbage, and right now they're copping them and not getting any their way. Any other club's supporters would be just as pissed off.
Actually means a lot coming from you, being genuine too.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back