Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writing a book 34 years ago is enough to keep Muslims riled up apparently.

Rushdie will likely lose an eye, suffered severed nerves in an arm, and damage to his liver after he was stabbed. He's on a ventilator.

Iranian newspapers praised Sir Salman Rushdie’s “brave and dutiful” attacker for attempting to carry out the religious edict to kill the author of The Satanic Verses and send him “to Hell”.

This is a few years after Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese translator of The Satanic Verses, was stabbed to death.
The Italian translator Ettore Capriolo was knifed in his apartment in Milan.
William Nygaard, the novel’s Norwegian publisher, was shot three times in the back and left for dead outside his Oslo home.

The Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh, was shot then butchered on an Amsterdam street after making a short film about the maltreatment of Muslim women in Holland.

The attack on the Charlie Hebdo office killed 12 people and injured 11 others for publishing satirical cartoons of Muhammad.

Rushdie will likely lose an eye, suffered severed nerves in an arm, and damage to his liver after he was stabbed. He's on a ventilator.

Iranian newspapers praised Sir Salman Rushdie’s “brave and dutiful” attacker for attempting to carry out the religious edict to kill the author of The Satanic Verses and send him “to Hell”.

This is a few years after Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese translator of The Satanic Verses, was stabbed to death.
William Nygaard, the novel’s Norwegian publisher, was shot three times in the back and left for dead outside his Oslo home.

The Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh, was shot then butchered on an Amsterdam street after making a short film about the maltreatment of Muslim women in Holland.

The attack on the Charlie Hebdo office killed 12 people and injured 11 others for publishing satirical cartoons of Muhammad.
I doubt anyone here is a fan of religious extremists.
And I categorise anyone who seeks to impose their religious law onto others as an extremist
I do not see it as hypocritical that I seek to impose my non religious secular values above their religious ones - secular is supported by law while religious is just an opinion (unless you have the misfortune to live in a religious whackjob country where the clerics are in charge, or imams, or whatever they want to call themselves)

See the media are adopting the term "Iran Sympathiser" for this p.o.s.
Why not just call him what he is, a Muslim terrorist?

religion is a great fuel to mobilise the lunatics in our society to achieve a mischievous end

I don't know why we tolerate any religion that promotes any activity outside of the laws of the land

(including discrimination)

religion is a great fuel to mobilise the lunatics in our society to achieve a mischievous end

I don't know why we tolerate any religion that promotes any activity outside of the laws of the land

(including discrimination)
The holy books require interpretation and are often vague in meaning. Moderate sects claim extremists have it wrong and vice versa. I'm not convinced banning religions would be effective and doing so would breech human rights.

I thought atheism was winning the war for minds, especially in the West, but developments in the US make me question the level of progress. Islam is a more difficult problem than Christianity because its usually tied to culture.

The holy books require interpretation and are often vague in meaning. Moderate sects claim extremists have it wrong and vice versa. I'm not convinced banning religions would be effective and doing so would breech human rights.

I thought atheism was winning the war for minds, especially in the West, but developments in the US make me question the level of progress. Islam is a more difficult problem than Christianity because its usually tied to culture.

I'm not pro banning religion but I don't believe turning a blind eye to religions that promote breaking the law is acceptable

scomo's "let's let religions discriminate bill" is an example of the opposite I'd like to see

I'm not pro banning religion but I don't believe turning a blind eye to religions that promote breaking the law is acceptable

scomo's "let's let religions discriminate bill" is an example of the opposite I'd like to see
You can't really say that any major religion is promoting breaking the law when differing interpretations exist. Moderate believers will say the bad actors aren't true believers.

We've gone too far already in protecting believers so there's no need for further legislation to defend them. The LNP have sold out to religious nutters.

You can't really say that any major religion is promoting breaking the law when differing interpretations exist. Moderate believers will say the bad actors aren't true believers.

We've gone too far already in protecting believers so there's no need for further legislation to defend them. The LNP have sold out to religious nutters.
If you read the Koran, and somebody told you that they thought it was the literal will of God and that they took it all literally, they should be locked up for being a danger to most of society.

It's not banning religion, it's banning people from admitting they want to commit genocide and execute gay people (homo-sexuality is a major sin in Islam).

If somebody says they think the Bible or Quran is literally the will of God, they shouldn't be allowed guns, knives etc.

The fact we let them spout this nonsense without controls is clearly an absurd historic notion.

The Quran gives you the special out that if you die doing something holy (no matter how awful), you're rewarded for it. Martyrdom in Christianity is less rewarding.

If you read the Koran, and somebody told you that they thought it was the literal will of God and that they took it all literally, they should be locked up for being a danger to most of society.

It's not banning religion, it's banning people from admitting they want to commit genocide and execute gay people (homo-sexuality is a major sin in Islam).

If somebody says they think the Bible or Quran is literally the will of God, they shouldn't be allowed guns, knives etc.

The fact we let them spout this nonsense without controls is clearly an absurd historic notion.

The Quran gives you the special out that if you die doing something holy (no matter how awful), you're rewarded for it. Martyrdom in Christianity is less rewarding.
The bible is equally bloodthirsty with passages about killing homosexuals. Secular society has molded mainstream Christianity to a point that the wackos are more interested in your money than stoning you for being gay. Islam hasn't had the benefit of being buffered by secular society so they're further behind. It's more difficult to influence Islam from the outside because of its ties to culture in the Arab world.

I don't see how banning a literal interpretation of religious books is possible. Mainstream fundamentalist Christians such as Hillsong believers would claim they believe in a literal interpretation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bible is equally bloodthirsty with passages about killing homosexuals. Secular society has molded mainstream Christianity to a point that the wackos are more interested in your money than stoning you for being gay. Islam hasn't had the benefit of being buffered by secular society so they're further behind. It's more difficult to influence Islam from the outside because of its ties to culture in the Arab world.

I don't see how banning a literal interpretation of religious books is possible. Mainstream fundamentalist Christians such as Hillsong believers would claim they believe in a literal interpretation.

It's true that they claim it, but when you drill into most of the mature religions and religious movements that they don't believe a literal interpretation. They play one side of the fence when it suits them and the other when it doesn't. The literalists steal their followers by pointing out the hypocrisy of the mainstream religious movements.

I noticed in the CAIR's statement about Rushdie, they don't say Islam/Quran doesn't condone violence, because that would be a lie (just like Christianity/Bible). I'm sure I used to see that statement come out which was obviously false.

Islam raises its barbarous head yet again.

Singapore canes dickheads and is praised for maintaining a safe, secure country where people have respect for law.

A bogan dickhead goes in a violent drunken rampage in Indonesia, looks at the same punishment and suddenly its “Islam is barbarous”?

Singapore canes dickheads and is praised for maintaining a safe, secure country where people have respect for law.

A bogan dickhead goes in a violent drunken rampage in Indonesia, looks at the same punishment and suddenly its “Islam is barbarous”?
Oh Singapore canes people and it gets praised for it.
Maybe Australia should do it to then eh?

First off, it isn't Islam but the culture of which Islam is one factor

Secondly, the surfer is the one who was acting like a barbaric tosser despite the rules of the culture being well known before he went there.

Probably an indictment too of Australia and how far we have moved away from individuals taking responsibility of actions.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably an indictment too of Australia and how far we have moved away from individuals taking responsibility of actions.

I would say it’s more Australian upbringing and culture vs Asia.

In school dickheads, athletes and bullies are praised, academically smart kids are teased. End of school it’s getting blind at schoolies, leavers and muck up day.

Tabloid media mock “University educated elites” as being “out of touch” compared to “common sense”.

Bogan criminals (Schapelle Corby, AFL/NRL players) have their crimes downplayed or excused. Acting like an idiot is “larrikism”.

Anti-intellectualism is rife. Being a tradie is seen as a more noble career than a university lecturer in some circles.

“Chucking a sickie” “punching on” “getting blind” don’t exist in Asia.

It’s a cultural thing. Don’t assume that white Anglo Bogan Australian culture is superior.

2.5 to 5 years jail or getting flogged............take the flogging and move on

we need to appreciate that every citizen carrying a passport is an ambassador of our country. whether you are a kid or adult, one must appreciate the ability to travel comes with responsibility.

from the perspective of the locals, they don't have the money to travel, find it difficult to get passports and even harder to get visas. then have to endure young punks, with everything, being ungrateful.

from our perspective we expect this but we shouldn't be surprised if the locals respond a different way.

FYI - he's probably a grate kid despite his mistake

Sounds like a real goose. A few hits with a cane would be good for him though doubt it will come to that - the Indonesians will just deport him most likely.

A few hits, i.e 40 ....'Under Sharia law, Mr Risby-Jones could be flogged 40 times if found guilty'.

Its Aceh not Bali.

For all those posting about this and dismissing it as "some Aussie dickhead" or "just take the flogging" or minimising the punishment as "its their culture respect it", I'll remind them that this issue is part of wider sharia law in Aceh that subjects people to public floggings to jeering crowds for things like spending time with people of the opposite sex unmarried or touching and kissing people of the opposite sex unmarried, or homosexuality. The floggings can leave people subjected to it for these so called crimes can leave them with permanent disability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back