Why is Jack Watts playing on a HBF ?

Remove this Banner Ad

He has noticably improved in the intensity/tackling side of things after being dropped, but still theres a long way to go yet. Another top pick, Gibbs is quite poor at it too, so he is not on his lonesome there, but Gibbs offers a bit more run and precision with his disposal than Watts (as he should given he's a midifielder size). I think Watts needs to be playing as a key position backman, rather than a loose man if he isn't going to be a forward. He has the height and the athletic attributes for this role. Key position players are much harder to find than guys that can play as a loose man in defence, so the way I sort of see it is that it's a waste of a resource that a guy with the height, athleticism and lets face it he now does have some reasonable muscle on him is not playing a key position role that even if he struggles at first could at least give him development time in a position that he could fill in the future.

He's done a decent job of doing his role since he has come back into the side, but I'm arguing there is better ways he could be used and that there is still a fair way to go before he reaches the intensity and aggression levels that good AFL footballers have. And judging by the comments on the Melbourne review thread from the game today, theres quite a few comments that agree with this.

I think his skills are perfect, but I think there's a fair bit of maturity needed there, let's be honest. The guy is improvement when it comes to awareness, but sometimes just strolls along, like as if there is no one else on the ground. He got tackled and the ball kicked loose quite a few times tonight. I don't personally think that's strength. I think it's just endeavour. So yeah, his strength needs to balance with his output, otherwise he'll always just be an average lightweight. Needs to look at Goddard and aim to that.

I hope he starts to look more interested if you know what I mean.
It would be soul destroying as a dees Fan watching him lope along without intent at times.
He has a lot of talent and I know he doesn't mean to look so laconic but for Melbournes sake I'd love to see him monster a game soon.
If you believe half of what you hear about who won't be at Melbourne next year they really need Jack to become a man soon.

My favourite part was when he dropped back infront of the leading forward and defender in the last and took a great mark, after the commentators spent hours ripping on him.

Funny how they didn't seem to notice when it doesn't fit their agenda. Absolute plebs

Had a good game. If anyone thinks otherwise they are simply wanting him to fail

How did his game this week (which I did not see) compare to his game last week against the Swans? Better/worse? Same role/more accountable?

From what I saw, he basically played as a loose man again. Not sure how that's going to build his intensity and urgency.

I believe he'll be a fine player eventually and an earlier comparison to Goddard is certainly an interesting one. It just seems they're aiming for turning him into a jack-of-all-trades (pardon the pun), master of none. It's quite baffling.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a forward drafted so high who has been shuffled around to such an extent even they struggled early up forward.

How did his game this week (which I did not see) compare to his game last week against the Swans? Better/worse? Same role/more accountable?
I'd say about the same. He played a similar role (loose man most of the day) but didn't get as much ball. He used the ball well and was good with the ball, but was a bit half-arsed in getting the ball in contests. Still, he had a good game, but I'd like to see him be more accountable and harder at the footy.

Melbourne play Essendon next week

Jack Watts could really take forward steps in his own development by playing on someone like Crameri or Hurley (providing physical contests, and noting how good forwards play 1v1)

But my guess is, he will pick up another 20 or so possessions playing in the back-line un-accountable
What is he learning by doing this demon fans ?

Was getting rag-dolled by the blokes half his size, getting dispossessed by everyone at will , shirking contests, displayed a timid approach to the contest, took one good mark and collected few touches without having any impact on the game whatsoever. A regulation game from young Jack some would say.

Does MFC hate Mitch Clark ?

Is battling manfully in the forward line while Watts is the +1 defender.

Watts must be the second key forward - I don't want to hear any excuses that he is only in his fourth year - Will Melbourne play him as a key forward in his 10th year.

Watts needs to cut the mustard as a key forward/back - Or he is no value to MFC.

Does MFC hate Mitch Clark ?

Is battling manfully in the forward line while Watts is the +1 defender.

Watts must be the second key forward - I don't want to hear any excuses that he is only in his fourth year - Will Melbourne play him as a key forward in his 10th year.

Watts needs to cut the mustard as a key forward/back - Or he is no value to MFC.

Need to get him in the gym. Was worked hard over the summer and I believe lost weight. I'm pretty sure they will work on his size and strength next pre season. Will be a key forward in time but his versatility will mean he will player multiple positions over his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back