Why do teams play teams twice before playing other teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Like, we played the Kangaroos, Blues etc twice before we even played the Bulldogs last week. You'd think it'd make sense to play all the other 17 sides before doubling up. I know fixtures depend on where you finish, but don't get how it affects this.

They mess with it all to fit in certain fixtures in certain weeks, like the anzac day games, derbies, rival games, certain teams they like to give a stupid amount of primetime slots to, and any other event they can think of along with things like only having a certain amount of 5-6 day breaks, home games, etc.

Unfortunately with all these restrictions it doesnt tend to all fit that well for having all teams play each other once before any repeats. I would like it to be better than the Eagles v dogs not happening until R23 next year though, all teams playing each other once by R18-19 surely is doable

Just another Gil legacy, which I hope goes the way of the Dodo, but I doubt it because the AFL and its executives seem to only care about the bottom line.

its a weird thing.

I remember the 1990s and 2000s, when it was 16 teams, you had 7 sides twice in that 22 round season.

Rounds 1 to 7 the teams you have twice you play 1st. Rounds 8-15, you then play the sides you have once. ROunds 16-22, you get the teams you have twice but in reversed fixture.

its a weird thing.

I remember the 1990s and 2000s, when it was 16 teams, you had 7 sides twice in that 22 round season.

Rounds 1 to 7 the teams you have twice you play 1st. Rounds 8-15, you then play the sides you have once. ROunds 16-22, you get the teams you have twice but in reversed fixture.

When common sense was a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Like, we played the Kangaroos, Blues etc twice before we even played the Bulldogs last week. You'd think it'd make sense to play all the other 17 sides before doubling up. I know fixtures depend on where you finish, but don't get how it affects this.
A function of the FIXture ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back