Wildcard weekend - yes or no

Are you in favour of Wildcard weekend?

• Yes

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • No

Votes: 118 80.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Any extra week of play should be put towards an extra week to add balance to the fixture. One of the problems with the SA round IMO - it added a game but did nothing to equalise the lopsided fixture.

FMD... a Victorian complaining about the Crows getting an "extra home game".

So Adelaide teams need that extra round to be a Home game for them but away games for all other clubs for balance?

But Perth, Sydney and Brisbane/GC teams dont need that extra home game?

The AFL fleeces a payoff for SA taxpayers. Thats the only reason for it and its a terrible idea for a competition.

Maybe not for The Harlem Globetrotters.

Last edited:

I’m not necessarily in favour but it would fill the bye weekend at least.

Introduces an incentive to finish top 6, get a week off.

It's a big no from me.

However I bet in 5-7 years time the AFL, under pressure from the TV network(s) will bring in a top 10 finals series anyway.

You know its going to happen. Its what the AFL does.

Why don't we just play the whole season then have a separate finals series with all 18 sides playing each other to see who gets thru. Like 1st vs 18th, 2nd vs 17th etc etc.

We could even then have some sort of repechage set up to give the teams that beaten in the first week of finals another chance to play, maybe even have it going thru the whole finals series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really don’t like it - just because it’s solely money based, there’s no competitive reason that the 10th placed team after 24 rounds should still have another chance.
Why does 8th?

Absolutely 100% no.
The 23 round season is played out to see who makes the top 8.
Why would you risk 9th or 10th sneaking into finals when they might’ve finished the season a couple of games outside the 8.
Ridiculous concept.

This season is probably one of the best examples of the merits for a wildcard weekend. I think most would agree the 9th placed Dogs and 10th placed Crows of 2023 are of a standard expected of teams who finish in the 5th-8th range so a play off with teams that finish 7th and 8th should be competitive and/or interesting. As it turned out, it would have also added an extra element of excitement to that last GWS v Carlton game because the Giants would have known a loss would set up an "away" Sydney derby wildcard game, a win by less than 45 points would get them a home wildcard playoff against the Crows and a win by 45+ points would get them the week off + a home elimination final the following week against the Saints or Crows.

Having said all that, I understand 9th and 10th each season are often not as strong as those teams were this year and that's usually the argument against the introduction of a wildcard playoff. Either way, I think a 10-team post season competition is coming since we know Tasmania will be entering in a few years. IMO it's more a question of when, not if.

Nope. Game is Americanised enough these days as it is.
lol you realised Wildcard is just a word and this proposal is just a top 10 finals series instead of a top 8. We've been playing finals since the start of time. If Finals are too "American" perhaps Collingwood should just be crowned premier ala European football leagues.

If Finals are too "American" perhaps Collingwood should just be crowned premier ala European football leagues.
Ew Sickening GIF by Gerbert!

If Finals are too "American" perhaps Collingwood should just be crowned premier ala European football leagues.
The premiership tally since 2000 if that were the case:

Geelong - 4
Port Adelaide - 4
-------------------
Collingwood - 3
-------------------
Adelaide - 2
Essendon - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Sydney - 2
-------------------
Fremantle - 1