Will clubs draft players to stop Buddy Franklin?

Remove this Banner Ad

How is that funny? Garland was one of the few players to beat Buddy this year. He would've been in about his 10th AFL game, with probably 5-6 of those a a defender, so to beat Buddy the way he did with so little experience was a fantastic effort.

Buddy had a ton of ball coming in for him and got 14 disposals, 4 marks 3 goals.
Garland had 10 disposals, 10 spoils, 4 tackles, 4 rebound 50s, and won the battle while under a barrage from the Hawks midfield.

You laughing it off like that shows how little knowledge you have.

Why would we when we already have Josh Gibson?

now now, both of you. when a player has 6 players leave their men the moment the ball leaves a player's boot, it will look a lot better for his direct opponent then it was.

the only difference is, when it happens to franklin, it wa sall his direct opponent, if it happens to any other player in the comp, it was because of good team work.

You wouldnt say Gilham beat Brown would you, why, coz Hodge kept dropping infront. But of corse, on the stat sheet, it says Gilham won.

Who needs the draft when you've got guys like Luke Williams and Nick Smith to stop Buddy.

But in all seriousness Garland is on the right track to becoming someone who can certainly nullify his influence. In just his 10th-ish game he kept Franklin to 3 goals when he was being spoon fed by Hodge, Mitchell and co. and actually provided attacking drive off Franklin.

The opposition is going to get a certain number of inside 50s and likely to score a certain number of goals. Hawks just tend to channel through fewer targets so you just need to counter that by countering those targets.

You just need to focus the defensive efforts to where all the inside 50s are going rather than worry about Buddy. Hawks play the same way even when Franklin is out... so if its Roughead of Wlliams or Boyle or whoever that is the target then you focus the zone on the target.

Hawks in general will not distribute the ball to all forwards evenly. They will go to Buddy 70% of the time, Roughead 20% and the third forward about 10% of the time. They will often go to the primary target even if it is not the best target.

I think the way the Hawks play anyone moderately talented will kick a lot of goals because most sides don't saturate one target with so much of the ball. A defensive unit has to look at allocated the defensive resources to where the forward thrust is going, it is less about Buddy and more about where the ball is going. A lot of teams have 2 or 3 defenders who have **** all of the ball go to their direct opponent, the question is what are THEY doing to help out the poor bastard who is playing on Buddy.

Buddy will kick 2 or 3 goals by default due to sheer saturation of inside 50s targeted at him. Longmire was a perfect example that you do not even need to be able to take an overhead mark to get close to kicking a ton, you just need saturation.
Great post Zvim.
A better response than the question posed deserved.:thumbsu:

I think the question needs to be asked when will everyone stop trying to felate Buddy every chance they get, sure he is a good footballer but is not yet in the superstar bracket. One breakout season does not make a footballer a champion it take several consistant seasons. In answer to the original question, No, teams are hardly going to structure their team and/or future drafts in order to combat one opposition player.

I think the question needs to be asked when will everyone stop trying to felate Buddy every chance they get, sure he is a good footballer but is not yet in the superstar bracket. One breakout season does not make a footballer a champion it take several consistant seasons. In answer to the original question, No, teams are hardly going to structure their team and/or future drafts in order to combat one opposition player.

This one break out season is crap.

Buddy had a great year last year and should have been AA.

I think its safe to say that clubs will be trying to draft their own "Buddy Franklins"

His body type,running ability and sheer athleticism have shown clubs a new type of player who can dominate the current AFL climate. In 10 years there will be quite a few "Buddy" types running around. No doubt there will be several draft "busts" as teams try to find the 3rd coming (1st being Riewoldt, 2nd being Buddy)

Its just a part of the evolution of the game.

I can't believe the stupidity of this thread. So a team that is desperate for midfielders will ignore their needs and draft a Buddy competitor? Buddy is far from the only elite player in the league. So how do you draft to cover all the elite players? And wouldn't it be good drafting if, and I'm definately not wishing this on him, he gets injured and never plays again!

Has Bock played on Franklin? If so can anybody remind me of the outcome?

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=4689&Code=d9077142aea2d3adaaa3e3f9f2acf451

Bock's rating = 151 vs Buddy's rating of 66.

Buddy had to move off Bock because he was getting beaten badly, but when Buddy did move off Bock in the last quarter you could argue that was important in the final result where the Hawks just squeaked in a win in the last minute or so of the game.

So, with respect to the question "Will clubs draft players to stop Buddy Franklin?" ... for the Crows the answer is (per Monty Python and the quest for the Holy Grail) - "No, we already got one".

Yeah, Bock pantsed Buddy when we last played the Crows at AAMI Stadium. However, while I don't wish to denigrate Bock's excellent performance, it's undeniable that he was helped by some substandard delivery from our usually good midfield. Yet, when Buddy was thrown into the midfield as a line-breaking wingman by Clarkson, arguably he won us the match.

Having said that, Bock did a far superior job than Kris Massie! ;)

havent you alredy got fev????
Yes but I don't think you're going to win premierships relying on only 1 forward. Yes we're still around 3-4 years away, but if you were a Carlton supporter you'd want to have a CHF in your team and a ready made 1 come that time. Perhaps a key defender could be on the cards as well though.

What about a ruck men and two key defenders, you need all them
and before you have a shot at me and demons, we need about 18 players
A key position player is who we should go after in the draft with our first pick. If you're looking at the draft, then we don't really need a ruckman. We've already got Kreuzer and Hampson, yes developing but look okay. If we're going to go for a ruckman then I think the plan would be to go for a senior, experienced one come trade time, even if they're in the twilight stages of their career.
Key defenders you have a point, but Jamison is going along nicely, even if he does look a bit undersized, and Waite has been inconsistent once again but can fill CHB.
I'm not sure who we'll go after, but a key defender or forward should be our first priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So to sum up it appears obvious that every opposition team has a player who has or will kick Buddy's ass but sometimes its hard because Hawthorn only kick it to Buddy in the forward line to try get him to superstar status down the track.....:rolleyes:

Tim Boyle must be a chance for trade week then??
How good is he? Frankly from what I've seen of him there hasn't really been anything that stands out for me. Does he have what it takes to make it and be a good player?
Do you reckon he would help take some of the focus on Fev if he came to Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back