News Liam Jones retires from AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The commentary around Liam Jones choice has been very disappointing.. There would be hundreds of players with similar views but without the moral conviction to follow through and stand up to the bullies of the AFL and Vic Government. We should be applauding such a strong and fine human who is prepared to sacrifice personal and financial gain.

The fact a great players career is in jeopardy over this shows how far we have fallen as a society, that we have just allowed this ridiculous government to control us. I say this as someone who is double vaccinated, but strongly believe that the government should never be able to mandate a medical procedure on anyone.
Strong correlation between user name and post:thumbsu:

So if Jones gets the Vax - he won't catch Covid?

Or he won't spread Covid?

How is he protecting the community, exactly? I'm genuine about this, the vaxxed and unvaxxed both spread it at the exact same rate, so where is the protection coming from.

Also, for how long does this amazing community protection last?
He is less likely to catch it and pass it on.

Effectively, that's what anti-vaxxers are doing.
The majority of Covid hospitalisations in Victoria are unvaxxed people. The costs of intensive multi-day hospital stays and the interventions required far surpass vaccine costs.

Unless of course, you think 'big pharma' only make profits from vaccines and all other products, drugs and services are done so on a non-profit basis?

So you think people should be forced to take vaccines?
Vaccines that lose efficacy rather quickly and regular boosters may be needed.

You have

Vaccination isn't mandatory.
However, one should expect to take responsibly for ones own actions or lack there of. Not demand that others take responsibility for them. That's just selfish and entitled.
Again, I hope your willful ignorance, driven by your lack of self esteem doesn't lead to harm for anyone in your orbit.
Please grow a brain and get vaccinated :)

No thanks

I can tell you there are state govt staff being sacked this week for refusing to be vaccinated.

Are they being paid their notice and leave entitlements?

Again, I understand and accept that Jones could be sacked.
It's the club potentially paying him just 30k of a 400k contract that is mind boggling to me.

To be a fly on the wall when that was raised with the AFLPA...

You know there's a number of industries where this exact thing has been going on for years with mandatory annual flu boosters?

Yeah but it's gone abit further than that now
Non medical professions are threatening workers with comply or be terminated.
Also no one shamed or gave a shit about each other's flu shot status.

We now live in clown world

Also no one shamed or gave a sh*t about each other's flu shot status.

In 1919 they might have. If they had a vaccine.

Non-medical employers (at least, some of them) are required by law to hold evidence a employee is vaccinated (as per the various State Government dates and regulations) in order to provide them work outside their usual place of residence.

Your workplace isn't actually requiring you to be vaccinated, they just have to hold evidence in order to legally comply with State Government regulations if they're providing you work outside of home. Subtle but important difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but it's gone abit further than that now
Also no one shamed or gave a sh*t about each other's flu shot status.

We now live in clown world

How is it different now? The job I had 10 years ago also said get the flu jab or be terminated.

I also had a job that I was interviewed for that I needed to get a blood test and prove I had a hepatitis vaccine to even get an interview.

The right Jones (and others) are exercising has been an accepted right without punishment for all of your life, and mine. The right “to demand“ unvaccinated people “stay away” from you in public, in workplaces or on airplanes has never been a right. Ever.

Leper colonies say hi.

How is it different now? The job I had 10 years ago also said get the flu jab or be terminated.

You didn't have people berating those who choose not to have a flu shot

The vast majority of jobs didn't require it.
Now supermarket or fast workers are mandated.

So if Jones gets the Vax - he won't catch Covid?

Or he won't spread Covid?

How is he protecting the community, exactly? I'm genuine about this, the vaxxed and unvaxxed both spread it at the exact same rate, so where is the protection coming from.

Also, for how long does this amazing community protection last?

Covid-19: Do vaccines reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus? | New Scientist

People who are fully vaccinated against covid-19 are far less likely to infect others, despite the arrival of the delta variant, several studies show. The findings refute the idea, which has become common in some circles, that vaccines no longer do much to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

A recent study found that vaccinated people infected with the delta variant are 63 per cent less likely to infect people who are unvaccinated.

This is only slightly lower than with the alpha variant, says Brechje de Gier at the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment in the Netherlands, who led the study. Her team had previously found that vaccinated people infected with alpha were 73 per cent less likely to infect unvaccinated people.

What is important to realise, de Gier says, is that the full effect of vaccines on reducing transmission is even higher than 63 per cent, because most vaccinated people don’t become infected in the first place.

Just for some information on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back