List Mgmt. Will the Cats trade away a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Although in different situations, Melbourne trading/dropping their older players has completely backfired. It has completely killed any morale they had. I don't think Chris Scott will go down that path.

Care to fill me in please.:)

TROUBLE FOR YOUNG CATS
Following Friday night's loss, forwards Steve Johnson and Andrew Mackie found themselves in the middle of a 'brawl' at the not-so-popular Geelong nightspot, Home House. Both were apparently charged with being drunk and disorderly and taken to the Geelong police station. Mackie was released soon after, while Johnson was given a few hours in the cooler.
Mackie reportedly charged at a police officer, screaming 'take a shot at the title'. What title Mackie apparently has to take is currently the matter of intense debate, having struggled for a place in the AFL and without significant performances at VFL level over the past few months.
Johnson's latest drama is not an isolated incident. The boy from Wangaratta broke his ankle in December 2002 (at the farewell of one time great white hope Mitchell White) after being ejected from the Torquay Hotel. Johnson attempted to do a 'Max Walker' and get back in by climbing the fence; alas he fell and broke his ankle. Johnson's pre-season was ruined and while having a very good second half of season 2004, the ankle has troubled him for most of this season.

TROUBLE FOR YOUNG CATS
Following Friday night's loss, forwards Steve Johnson and Andrew Mackie found themselves in the middle of a 'brawl' at the not-so-popular Geelong nightspot, Home House. Both were apparently charged with being drunk and disorderly and taken to the Geelong police station. Mackie was released soon after, while Johnson was given a few hours in the cooler.
Mackie reportedly charged at a police officer, screaming 'take a shot at the title'. What title Mackie apparently has to take is currently the matter of intense debate, having struggled for a place in the AFL and without significant performances at VFL level over the past few months.
Johnson's latest drama is not an isolated incident. The boy from Wangaratta broke his ankle in December 2002 (at the farewell of one time great white hope Mitchell White) after being ejected from the Torquay Hotel. Johnson attempted to do a 'Max Walker' and get back in by climbing the fence; alas he fell and broke his ankle. Johnson's pre-season was ruined and while having a very good second half of season 2004, the ankle has troubled him for most of this season.

Hah, that's gold. :thumbsu:

It will definitely be left to the players to decide if they want to finish there career with another club. The club won't try to force anyone into a trade or free agancy transfer and it would have to be perceived as a win for the player to happen.

Where Scott will have a say will be in how long a player will play for. Thus far, the retirees have known when there time is up and moved on - if anything the club would have preferred some of them to stay on. It will be interesting to see if Scott has to revisit the G Hocking scenario in the coming years where by he has to tell a player his time is up. My guess is he probably won't be in this position. The difference is these guys have had success and will retire with a lot of career satisfaction and they know a lot about doing what is best for the team.

P.S. Anyone else think there is a small possibility that Ottens could come back for another stint next year. Me thinks a Paul Salmon like comeback is a tiny chance.

Can only hope ottens returns, but I doubt with the club's view on getting more game time in the younger guys it would be acceptable .

Can only hope ottens returns

Are you serious? Has this team's supporters turned into "sticking to the past" type fans? Jeez I hope not.

The man is retired from senior football. He serviced us perfectly. He's gone.
This is the sort of thinking that led to the Lions turning to sh*t. People wanting to grasp and hold onto past success. It's the saddest thing in sport, especially a forever changing game like Aussie-rules.

I said it after the 2011 win, and I say it still now. I don't care if we don't contend this year, but if by playing the kids we can be back next year or the year after, more the better. We have a great collection of youngsters that can be yet another 2007-2011 dominating group, and many of them can see it too and have been quoted as sharing this feeling. Good on Scotty for giving them all a go. It's refreshing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst Wells is around, I would dedicate every single list management resource to the drafting process. Who needs trading when Wells can produce Menzel, Duncan, Christensen, Vardy and Cowan in a premiership year?!

Are you serious? Has this team's supporters turned into "sticking to the past" type fans? Jeez I hope not.

This is the sort of thinking that led to the Lions turning to sh*t. People wanting to grasp and hold onto past success. It's the saddest thing in sport, especially a forever changing game like Aussie-rules.

I said it after the 2011 win, and I say it still now. I don't care if we don't contend this year, but if by playing the kids we can be back next year or the year after, more the better. We have a great collection of youngsters that can be yet another 2007-2011 dominating group, and many of them can see it too and have been quoted as sharing this feeling. Good on Scotty for giving them all a go. It's refreshing.
Agree. And Fish went to another team anyway.
Ottens and Ling gave every last bit of what they had and left at the perfect time. For them ; and therefore for us as well.

Gee no need to overreact

Really? I don't doubt it. I've seen no evidence to suggest Chris Scott rates him one little bit.
Maybe - but I doubt any club would pick him up if he nominated in the draft, much less give us anything for his services.

We tend tend to draft in one of four ways:

1. Major hole needs filling and we are willing to pay overs. Last deal like that was Ottens

2. Opportunistic selection of out-of-favour youngish player for a low price, eg Marcus Drum

3. Hedge drafting, swapping of draft positions, eg giving a way a 20 something pick for two 30 something picks

4. Serendipity selection - a good player comes our way at a reasonable or bargain price due to circumstance but not really filling a particular hole. Potentially Boak wanting to return to his family.

Given the above, you only consider trading away a 'star' in scenario 1. We aren't in that situation right now

Here Here......are you sure you a GFC supporter? :p

Maybe - but I doubt any club would pick him up if he nominated in the draft, much less give us anything for his services.

We tend tend to draft in one of four ways:

1. Major hole needs filling and we are willing to pay overs. Last deal like that was Ottens

2. Opportunistic selection of out-of-favour youngish player for a low price, eg Marcus Drum

3. Hedge drafting, swapping of draft positions, eg giving a way a 20 something pick for two 30 something picks

4. Serendipity selection - a good player comes our way at a reasonable or bargain price due to circumstance but not really filling a particular hole. Potentially Boak wanting to return to his family.

Given the above, you only consider trading away a 'star' in scenario 1. We aren't in that situation right now

I think you forgot our 'primary' source of drafting - the 'Geelong Rule', known to our club supporters as father-son...
;)

I think you forgot our 'primary' source of drafting - the 'Geelong Rule', known to our club supporters as father-son...
;)

I think that's been blown out by other clubs. I count Scarlett, Ablett, Blake, and Hawkins. Have I missed anyone from this recent era of success?

Let's now put it into perspective. Blake is gone and most of the clubs didn't rate him. Gary is gone, and while he has talent in his DNA he wasn't like that for years, the Cats MADE him reach to the player he is today.
Hawkins was written off by all clubs and many Cats supporters until finals last year. And of course we have John's boy...who has been a solid general for well over a decade.

I'd argue the non-"father and son" stars in this current era is a lot bigger list. Looking forward to young Bews, and hopefully one day young Couch will also come home.

Would hate to see a Kelly, Corey, Scarlett, Chapman, Enright, Mackie etc get traded and play for another club. They are champions of this club and i believe they should be able to have a say in how they exit the club. I think you'll find most if not all will retire as a Geelong player.

Would hate to see a Kelly, Corey, Scarlett, Chapman, Enright, Mackie etc get traded and play for another club. They are champions of this club and i believe they should be able to have a say in how they exit the club. I think you'll find most if not all will retire as a Geelong player.

We will never trade any of our IMMORTALS, i.e., those guys with 3 premiership medals. Will not happen. And those with 2 like Varcoe Hunt Hawkins should be ours for keeps too, if I had my way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back