List Mgmt. Will the Hawks end up landing a big fish? Trade and FA news discussion of Hawthorn targets

Who should Hawks make a play for?

• Lynch

• McGovern

• Cogs

• We don't need any of these players

• Gaff

• Another player not mentioned above (specify in comments)

• B.Hill

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering we were supposedly after Sloane earlier on, really feel Shiel will be ours...
There is long term history between us and Dylan and his family and the AFL going back to his last contract. I wonder if we cash in or he is actually wanting to cash in and is driving it!!!!
The scum were very confident up to two weeks ago.

Hey Topiary . At what point do you think we pull the pin on TL and decide to focus on other options. I'd hate for this to drag on into trade season as it puts other options at risk. i.e if Shiel is keen to come to Hawks but we have to say to his management you'll have to wait to see how other things drop first. Personally I'd be putting a date not to far in the future to TL management that he rules us out or is on board. Not lets wait and see.

Hey Topiary . At what point do you think we pull the pin on TL and decide to focus on other options. I'd hate for this to drag on into trade season as it puts other options at risk. i.e if Shiel is keen to come to Hawks but we have to say to his management you'll have to wait to see how other things drop first. Personally I'd be putting a date not to far in the future to TL management that he rules us out or is on board. Not lets wait and see.

I understand he remains our main focus until he tells us otherwise. The good thing is we are well prepared for multiple outcomes despite what some of our so called supporters on this forum talk crap about.

I have it on good authority that the Lynch camp have told us to hang in there. We’ve contemplated walking away but have been told this week to sit tight. A lot of water to still go under the bridge here.

This doesn’t mean we are 2nd choice. It means Connors wants to avoid Cockring and needs options.

It is my understanding GC continue to confirm they intend to match a $1m a year contract. Tigs have been told this again yesterday as were we. We also know we can sufficiently front end a contract that will be beyond their range therefore eliminating that tactic . We are the only one of the three competing clubs who have that capability. TL management has also told alll three clubs they are not interested in dragging through a pre season draft scenario. They have also told all three clubs they will not accept existing players being cleared to make necessary room to front end.
The HFC can satisfy all these issues.

This makes complete sense and possibly explains why the tigers have been extending contracts.

Given Reiwoldt, Rance and Cotchin were all RFA's in 2019, it's possible that all three had heavily backended contracts. Extending these contracts allowed the Tigers to move the large sums contacted in 2019 forward to 2020 or even beyond to free up space for a heavy front ended FA bid for Lynch as well as lock in other premiership players (eg Short) who would have been squeezed out if the salary movements didn't happen

Hearing if we get Lynch, we’ll miss on Shiel. It’s one or the other. Not both.

Can't we just tailor Shiel's contract to be bias towards 2nd/3rd/4th/etc years?

i.e our surplus of TPP in 2019 is 'x' dollars - which we would spend on Lynch (obligatory). Subsequently, we acquire Shiel via a trade and negotiate his contract to favour his payments in 2020, 2021, etc.

i.e our surplus of TPP in 2019 is 'x' dollars - which we would spend on Lynch (obligatory). Subsequently, we acquire Shiel via a trade and negotiate his contract to favour his payments in 2020, 2021, etc.

Yes of course and there are other options as well. But we would like to make it simple to maintain flexibility and being pliable for future targets over the rebuild.

Where's the rumor about Harry Himmelberg coming from?
This makes complete sense and possibly explains why the tigers have been extending contracts.

Given Reiwoldt, Rance and Cotchin were all RFA's in 2019, it's possible that all three had heavily backended contracts. Extending these contracts allowed the Tigers to move the large sums contacted in 2019 forward to 2020 or even beyond to free up space for a heavy front ended FA bid for Lynch as well as lock in other premiership players (eg Short) who would have been squeezed out if the salary movements didn't happen

This is an excellent point. I asked a similar question and we believe based on “intel we get around this stuff” we have advantage the Tigs have conceded we have and are genuinely concerned. They have no doubt attempted to improve their position, but they have got to keep a position that does not constrain them in a very tight TPP for the next three years. In other words over investing in one player. Remember Conors has other Tigs clients.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt the Hawks would put all their eggs in 1 basket.

I doubt the Hawks would put all their eggs in 1 basket.
I do too but it limits the scope for negotiations if 1 particular target drags out i.e Lynch. And it could also cost us a target is they're not wanting to wait it out.

Surely that'd work especially with Rough, Birch, Frawley, Poppy & Silk coming to the end of their careers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back