FTA-TV will TOP GEAR work on Nine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on a lot of things but the ads and the timeslot will be important. They should put it on at 7:30pm on say a Tuesday and keep it there. I am sure they will shift it around though. Shows like Getaway keep rating because they are on the same slot, every week for years. The rest of the shows they keep moving constantly (like Cold Case), they rest them, bring them back etc. And if they put on new episodes and include repeats among them......that will really annoy the viewers.

And yes, the number of ads they cram in (and how many segments they edit so they cut some out) will be the main factor. SBS treated the show well, 9 won't do the same.

essentially I'd imagine they wont cut it any more than SBS did.Rratings however will dictate how long it stays in the same timeslot...if it does alright, million plus...it will stick around.

Nine will give it a good run because of how much they've invested in it.

I'm sure the ratings will drop severely though. Put simply, when the fanbase of a show gets accustomed to watching it on SBS/ABC then they tend to be pretty intolerant of the jacked up ad breaks when the same show moves to a commercial channel. Look at what happened to Kath & Kim, The Fat, etc.

I predict a lot of people shift to watching the new episodes online, and SBS's runs of Classic Unseen TopGear continue to rate well.

alright jubjub, if SBS didn't cut it, I'd imagine Nine will be getting the same edited versions from the BBC...so yes probably more ads, but the same content.

The interesting question is, what do Nine do with top gear Aus and you've gotta ask...have they cashed in at the wrong time??

I'd imagine the UK series has 2 seasons left tops!

The UK version will rate as well as ever. It will be interesting to see if that is good enough for channel 9 considering how much they have invested in poaching the show from SBS.

It wouldn't surprise me to see it end up buried at 10.30pm on Go by next year.

Nein will pack it full of so many ads it will be unwatchable unless DVR'd.

Also the international version excludes the news segment most weeks, which is one of the best parts of the show.

I'd imagine the UK series has 2 seasons left tops!

Nah, they've got plenty of gas in the tank... whilst Clarkson is still calling the shots it aint going anywhere.

The show is as still entertaining and funny as ever, the production values and quality is brilliant, and most importantly it is still hugely popular in the UK and abroad.

The South American road trip episode they showed just before Xmas has to be seen to be believed. Right up there with the Polar Special IMO.

I hope so. From what I've seen of the new series its feeling a little more scripted, less spontaneous and they're just starting to appear a little tired with the format. Then again even an average episode of top gear is better than most of what's out there.

Look at what happened to Kath & Kim, The Fat, etc.

Kath and Kim was a huge hit.

The Fat was changed around with different hosts etc and it was made by Seven and we know how badly they suck at producing these types of shows.

Top Gear has a huge fanbase who will follow the show + new fans and it should do very well for Nine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short answer is no long answer is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Consider its cut down on SBS, now consider it needs to have 9s plethora of ads thrown in and each episode will consist of the intro, the stig, a hotlap and a skit.

Think they will do a few new eps, a heap of "classic eps" and then repeat.... I torrent top gear so I get the full "uncut" version, have every season so far and will continue to do so, may watch if nothing else on...

They needed to dumb it down for Sevens typical viewers.

think it was more of a case, and i was in this boat, ch7 hyped the s**t out of it, and word of mouth people heard it was funny when it was shown on ABC, but upomn viewing it was a funny as cancer and never watched again...

If they have to cut something I hope to god they cut the star interview. Only good thing the interview has going for it is the placing of attractive females within shot.

In terms of ratings I think Top Gear is on the slide and wont go that well for nine. Most of us now recognize that the format is tired and predictable. I cant see them keeping it going for too much longer.

I heard that the top gear guys were thinking of moving to a new style which sounded more like the Long Way Round series with Ewan McGregor. Hope it happens.

The program is inherently crap and so the channel it is shown on will make no difference.

Are you taking about Top Gear or refering to the post above you which mentions the snoozefest Fifth Gear ?

If Nein were sensible they'd put TG on at 7.30pm mondays but I wouldn't be suprised if they put it on at 7.30pm Thursdays,followed by TFS at 8.30pm.Getaway might move to a new timeslot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back