Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
courtesy of www.afl.com.au

Williams happy to collect the spoils

099159aw.jpg

Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams was very matter-of-fact in his post-match media conference, after he guided the club to victory and his side gained the four points in an emphatic 42-point win over St Kilda at York Park in Launceston, Tasmania.

Williams had his post-match media conference conducted within 10 minutes of the final siren – which occurs about as often as a visit from Halley’s Comet – before he flew from the ground to the Launceston airport.

He was then boarding a plane, which had been organised just 35 minutes after the siren, to watch Sydney take on the Western Bulldogs at the SCG on Saturday night.

The reason? Port Adelaide’s opponent for the first game after the mid-season bye will be against Sydney at AAMI Stadium. However, his clinical, yet professional approach to the cause was part of the plan for ‘keeping a lid on it’ and a reason why his side is a genuine premiership contender in 2003.

But without going over the top, Williams did give praise to his side, who he believed “persisted well” all day to achieve its ninth win of the season and fifth in succession.

“To come down here as we have, we’re very pleased (with the win),” Williams said after the game.

“I recognise that they (St Kilda) had a lot of scoring shots and they missed opportunities, but good footy is making the most of your opportunities.”

“I thought we were in control of the game for all but 10 minutes in the second quarter and it’s a great result to finish up nine (wins) and three (losses) at the break.”

“There are a lot of players there that need a rest and it’s come at a great time.”

“I expected quite a few players will be pushing for selection when round 13 comes and it will be a different task.”

Williams highlighted the performances of Dean Brogan, Stuart Cochrane, Nick Stevens and Stephen Paxman, but he also gave Shaun Burgoyne a big rapt for his performance in defence on St Kilda goalsneak Stephen Milne.

“He actually played in defence a couple of years all the time and I think everyone sees him as a forward now, but he’s certainly got that in his package,” Williams said.

“He can also got into the midfield, so he’s a wonderful asset to us,”

“He gives us a lot of flexibility and we’ll use him where we need to and he plays a wonderful team role for us.”

Originally posted by Scott
I don't know where Choco got the jumper but I think he should take it back, was not a good look especially not on television.

:D :D hee! hee! maybe a sneak preview of the new away jumper :D :D hee! hee!

That was the top I was talking about in another thread where it was thought it might have been the shirt he had on the plane trip to Tassie for the charity fundraising........

He put that one on just before they started singing the club song and I'm sure there must be a good story behind it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back