Williamstown v Box Hill Hawks, 9 June 2012, 1.10pm @ Burbank Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Was out and missed the game. Infact only saw last minute. Anyone know if ABC provide broadcast replays online? Would love to watch the game from the start.
Pretty sure they replay it in the middle of the night during the week
You will need to record it.
Worth it though it was a reat game

Lowden showed he had good hands and flew for and took a number of marks. He Impressed.
Like that Mirra chap as well.

Mirra is good. Very clean footballer who can play on talls and smalls.

Here are my thoughts on the listed players..

Tom Murphy - Good game from him again. Must be close to a senior recall. Showed a lot of leadership in the last quarter, taking a few key marks and disposing well of the ball. Best player in the backline. Finished with 23 disposals.

Gilham - Struggled today a bit I thought. Played predominately on Liam Jones who kicked a few goals and marked well in tough conditions. Got better as the game progressed. Looked to have an ankle injury in the 2nd and wasn't moving as freely after that. Few more weeks at BH for mine.

Jordan Kelly - Solid again. Shows a lot of intensity which is great. Bit unlucky in the last when he did a great tackle on Hooper and got pinged for 'pushing in the back'. Good role player.

Cheney - Solid again. Does his bit every week at BH. One of those players that is a cut above VFL level, but still probably not quite at AFL level. He's a great depth player to have. I love his tenacity in contested situations..

Angus Litherland - I didn't notice him much, but that's not a crack at him. Got a thumb injury in the last, but managed to get back on the field.

Cam Bruce - Kicked a few really good goals today. Thought his first 3 quarters were good, particulary his 2nd and helped the boys go into HT winning. Went missing in the last a bit. Tackled well, showed his experience in contested situations. Good outing.

Tom Schnieder - Played okay. A few question marks over his disposal but you cant deny how good his contested work is. You can really hear him shouting to the Patto, Grimley and Lowden in ruck contests where to put the ball. Shows a lot of leadership and character for someone so young. Think he deserves a crack at AFL level. It's important to reward good form... Hope he gets an upgrade. Finished with 22 disposals.

More to come...

Re litherland, he is a 2nd year player who spent most of his 1st year on the sidelines injured, I'll give him time before I judge.

Anyone want to provide some feedback on Halahan? For me he is a struggler, his positive is his strength, however he is very slow and is not getting enough of the ball. I did see he spent quite a bit of time up forward today. Would like to see some real improvement from him in the coming weeks.

Ellis - Great game. BOG for mine. He's an extremely smart user of the ball, just needs to execute it better. Would like to see him have one more week at BH before he gets promoted. Looks like he was cramping pretty bad towards the end of the game. Thought his clearance work around the stoppages was a highlight.

Wanganeen - His defensive work in the forward 50 was great. Had a few shots at goal but couldn't find the big sticks. Love seeing him and Amos in the forward lIne roving at the FF's feet, would hate to be a back pocket up against either of them. Good game.

Amos Frank - Finsihed with 4 goals in an excellent display. His role in the last quarter was pivotal in securing the win. Just knows where to be in the forward line... Excellent crumber of the ball. More importantly, he doesn't waste his chances when in front of goal. Was great to see him lead the boys off the ground at the end of the match as well, he's got a bit of a cult following down there! Smoky chance of an upgrade after round 12.

Hallahan - Didn't do too much. Didn't seem to get a lot of game time.. When he was on though, he was solid.

Lowden - Pick of the ruckmen today. Tap work was sensational, took a few nice marks as well. Must be close to a debut.. Would like to see him have a crack against the Lions.

Grimley - Scored a goal early in the first. Has exceptional athleticism. Still very very light however.. Really needs to put some kg's on in the preseason. Would like to see him play more in the ruck. Needs to be more disciplined and not give away frees..

Patto - Around the ground work was great, and took a few strong grabs. Ruckwork could be improved, but he plays that 2nd ruck role well.

I hope Gus Litherland doesn't get a poor rep for a couple of incidents in our last two televised games, that were pointed out during the coverages by David Rhys-Jones. Possibly a bit unfair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ellis is OK. Was right there when he cramped up near the groin area. He was also the first dressed, leaving the ground without any limp at all. Litherland dislocated his thumb but got if strapped and finished the game. Hallahan was also knocked around a bit. Pratty came off with the worst injury for the Hawks with a concussion. Should be right for next game though.

Grimley - Scored a goal early in the first. Has exceptional athleticism. Still very very light however.. Really needs to put some kg's on in the preseason. Would like to see him play more in the ruck. Needs to be more disciplined and not give away frees..

Personally I loved his attitude - not to be ****ed with.

It's easier to harness and channel that rather than trying to instill something that isn't there and may never be.

But he's a KPP, don't * with his head with this rucking s**t on anything but a cameo basis.

BlackByrd has done a great job with the best players so i only have a few things to add.
What a game of football. It was football of the days gone by.

Cold, Wet Melbourne in June.

Two teams at each other hard tough inside work. Great tackling and contested marking.
Players giving their all right to the end. Pity there had to be loser. Glad Box Hill won though :D

As this game was on TV i won't go into t much as others have either seen it or covered in the posts above

Ellis: as far as I am concerned the guy is just a natural footballer.
Anyone who has spoken to me about him will know i rate him very highly.
Great game and shouting instructions from the boundary line asking players to structure up.
Looking forward to seeing him playing for Hawks once again.

Bruce: For all those baggin bruce (me included) you just had to see him out there today.
Brought us back into the match in the second and provided great leadership .
His deft little touches, taps and knock on stuff you don't see
Used his body and experience well today well done Cameron.

Lowden: Great game by the big fella was like a beacon out there.
Great tap work and was great around the ground especially in that last qtr.
Some great marks in defence. Is really gaining in confidence and has really improved
Looks ready to be tested at AFL level.

Mirra: Has been slightly out of form the first part of the season
but boy did he come out today and show us box hill watchers why we love him.
Great contested player whether it be in the air or on the ground.
Well come back Dave we've missed you.

Final words Murphy was great he really provides direction and experience to the back 6.
Amos and Wanganeen were exciting Lastly I noticed that Litherland got some negative attention again by the ABC media.
The kid will be a player. He is young and the games he has played this year including this one
have been good overall sometimes excellent. He his heading in the right direction. The backline overall were very good today.

Great game worth the trip and the conditions was one of the most enjoyable games i have seen. See you all there next week

Just one last thing - and I wont go into a critique of players performances because, well, every player can hold their head high tonight, BB & T4P have summed it up pretty well, and in anycase, you can have a look for yourself on the net - but the umpiring.....

These blokes SHOULD be umpiring at the highest level, and they should be umpiring exactly the way they did today, whether wet or dry.

Seriously terrific effort.

It looked alot worse

Just looked like cramp to me ... Was very concerned for Daniel ... hit his opponents hip with his neck , looked terrible. Glad it was just concussion.

Amos Frank suits AFL footy more than VFL ... Wanganeen probably in this category as well .. Amos's opportunistic 3 goal haul in the last quarter won us the game.

3. Ellis
2. Bruce
1. Frank

Remove this Banner Ad

Back