Dec 7, 2000
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
courtesy of www.portadelaidefc.com.au

Wilson will miss at least one

Port Adelaide has lost defender Michael Wilson for Saturday’s game against St Kilda at Launceston’s York Park, but expects to regain defender Damien Hardwick and forward Che ****atoo-Collins.

Wilson strained a hamstring early in the last quarter against Fremantle at AAMI Stadium last Sunday. Port hopes the rugged left-footer will be ready to resume against Sydney at AAMI Stadium on Saturday, June 28 (round 13) after the mid-season break the previous weekend (June 21-22).

Hardwick (thigh) has missed the past three matches and ****atoo-Collins (back) only one. Both moved freely enough at training last Friday to suggest they should be available this week.

Utility Brent Guerra shone with 22 possessions and 4.5 for Central District against Norwood in the SANFL match at Norwood Oval last Friday night, but hurt his back and will not play this weekend.

He and captain/ruckman Matthew Primus (hamstring), utility Stuart Dew (osteitis pubis) and defender Matthew Bishop (calf) are expected to be available for round 13.

Port’s injury list:
Matthew Bishop (calf) 1-2 weeks
Scott Borlace (hand) 2 weeks
Che ****atoo-Collins (back) test
Stuart Dew (osteitis pubis) 1-2 weeks
Josh Francou (knee) season
Brent Guerra (back) 1 week
Damien Hardwick (thigh) test
Matthew Primus (hamstring) 1-2 weeks
Toby Thurstans (groin) ongoing assessment
Michael Wilson (hamstring) 2 weeks

It will be interesting to see who they leave out when bringing back in Bishop, ****atoo-Collins, Dew, Hardwick, Primus and Wilson.

On the edge must be Cassisi, Salopek, Poulton and Lade but how are we going to fit them all in?

Even the ones I have mentioned haven't done anything wrong, I would love to put Kingsley in the list of outs but I think i will be wasting my time.

Thurstans is another one that might come back in if he works out his groin problem, god help him if Paco decides to play on again next year as he has suggested he might.

Being a selector at the club must be causing some headaches at the moment but a good headache at that!

Once a few players start coming back, it would probably be a good idea to rotate a few players in and out of the team, helping to freshen them up for the finals. And by this i mean giving those that are carry niggling injuries a week or two off to really freshen up. Essendon did this in 2000.
In saying this, it might be hard to give SuperGav a week off, as it could ruin his brownlow chances.

Originally posted by Wishinman
Once a few players start coming back, it would probably be a good idea to rotate a few players in and out of the team, helping to freshen them up for the finals. And by this i mean giving those that are carry niggling injuries a week or two off to really freshen up. Essendon did this in 2000.
In saying this, it might be hard to give SuperGav a week off, as it could ruin his brownlow chances.
The injury to Voss gives the selectors a chance to give SuperGav a week off without hurting his chances too much. Rounds 14 and 15 especially leap out as ones where we should give some players a rest.

Looking at the players and games played we don't need to give Tredrea a rest as hasn't played all season, Cornes has had his courtesy of the tribunal. Wilson is injured so enforced one now. Kingsley hasn't played all games. Monty has had an 'injury rest'. Players who have played all or almost games so ideally would get a week off are : Brogan, Stevens, Wanganeen, Burgoyne's, Kane Cornes, James, Carr, Cochrane, Pickett, Schofield, Wakelin, Paxman and Lade.

Now of those Brogan and Lade can split sharing with Matty till the finals. Pickett I'd be loath to rest now he's found form, but definitely of the opinion Junior and Kane as younger players and Wakelin and Paxman as the veterans need a week off as top priorities. If the others on that list can have a week or two as well then that'd be great, but those four (to me) are really the ones who's bodies would get most out of a weeks rest somewhere round 14 - 19 (any later and messing with team structure in finals lead in).

Don't rest Wakelin, he takes weeks to find form again.

Originally posted by Scott
It will be interesting to see who they leave out when bringing back in Bishop, ****atoo-Collins, Dew, Hardwick, Primus and Wilson.

On the edge must be Cassisi, Salopek, Poulton and Lade but how are we going to fit them all in?

Even the ones I have mentioned haven't done anything wrong, I would love to put Kingsley in the list of outs but I think i will be wasting my time.

Thurstans is another one that might come back in if he works out his groin problem, god help him if Paco decides to play on again next year as he has suggested he might.

Being a selector at the club must be causing some headaches at the moment but a good headache at that!

As a selector down there at the moment you'd almost have to rely on some injuries otherwise it's just too hard to pick a side.

From last weeks team four would have to make way for Primus, Dew, Bishop & Hardwick... Salopek, Poults & Dom would be the obvious 3, but then there is still another to be dropped, maybe Lade or Brogan, either would be unlucky and then you've got Che who has certainly added something to the forward mix, now who do you drop for him? That's without even mentioning the Guru or Thrust who would probably be getting a regular game in 14 other sides. Perhaps we need the AFL to extend the bench to 6 or 8.

Originally posted by Eago77
Perhaps we need the AFL to extend the bench to 6 or 8.

That, or they could introduce the player loan system, a la futbol. Think about the possiblities! Adam Kingsley on 22 consecutive one-week loans! ;)

Originally posted by Guey_34
That, or they could introduce the player loan system, a la futbol. Think about the possiblities! Adam Kingsley on 22 consecutive one-week loans! ;)
Whoever we play against, on the proviso he plays in the backline. :D

Originally posted by PAfolwr
Whoever we play against, on the proviso he plays in the backline. :D

Further more on the proviso he plays one out against Shaun Burgoyne playing from the goal square.

Originally posted by Eago77
For some teams that may be a better result than whoever they've got to put on him.

It's a sad day for the AFL when Adam Kingsley would be rated as the top small defender in some clubs...

Thank the Lord for Michael Wilson.

Originally posted by sog35
It's a sad day for the AFL when Adam Kingsley would be rated as the top small defender in some clubs...

It's also a sad day for the AFL when Freo are ranked the 4th best club.

Amen. Better thank him for Super Gav as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could thank God for The Gavin... but given that they are one and the same, a fair waste of time.

It was only this time last year when Adam Kingsley was rated as an All Australian possibility, thankfully he missed quite a few games after this point to rule him out.

Whatever were they thinking???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back