Wimbledon 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

lol if that's Nick trying his best then he is a mental midget. For all the talk that he 'loves the big stage' he crumbles under sustained pressure. And it's not something you can outwardly improve. You either have it or not. He's got X factor for sure but his mental collapses can't be attributed to his youth anymore... When things don't go his way he stinkkks it up.

What concerns me is that he clutchness seems to be decreases with time, if that makes sense. When he came on the scene, he was ridiculous in terms of mental strength, beating Stepanek in 3 tiebreakers at the French, his run at Wimby after that. It seems like he has let some of this dumb media pressure get to him which tells me he needs a good coach.

Let people have their whinge though, if it makes them feel better.

When it's the casual sports fan, it's ok. When it's John McEnroe saying the crap he was in the commentary box, it's not right. The guy has been boxed in the corner and it's difficult to get out of that.

I'm highly doubtful, Coric, Zverev and Kokkinakis have a similar level of talent and mentally are miles ahead.

You can take Kokk out of that list. Coric I agree but he will take time. Zverev has impressed me with how much he has improved in the last 24 months.

People just have their targets and love to get stuck in to them at every opportunity. He wasn't at his best, but Murray played almost the best tennis I've seen him play; those defensive returns, in the first set especially, were amazing.

Nick was fantastic in the first set, but losing that would've been hard to come back from mentally. Agreed the best players do, and I'm sure he will learn that in time. How mentally tough was Murray in the 4th round at Wimbldeon playing one of the best players in the world on top off their game, when he was 21? I think you already know the answer.

He'll be shattered that he got smashed after that first set, but he just needs to learn to play that consistent tennis that he did in the first, because when he does he'll be very very good. Encouraging signs, but still a lot of work to do. Needs to get a coach for a start.

Let people have their whinge though, if it makes them feel better.

I am hoping that Nick gets a coach. It will definitely help him improve his game especially mentally.

He was talking about Radek Stepanek being his coach.....

I am hoping that Nick gets a coach. It will definitely help him improve his game especially mentally.

He was talking about Radek Stepanek being his coach.....

Stepanek would be a good coach for him actually as he was known to Really work hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two disappointing results from the Aussies. Kyrgios because of the scoreline and the anger, and Tomic...let's not go there.

I don't think I am ever going to understand why Madison Keys is rated as highly as she is.

Keys is just another power hitter, I'm not that impressed with her game.

As for Tomic he shouldve won.

And in the end Murray is the better and stronger player at the moment especially in the Grand Slams

To be fair to Keys she was injured did well to get it close- Halep is a top 5 player.
This is the thing though, it's always, "Oh she did pretty well to come close," in a match like this. In the end though the player on the other side of the net almost always has too much variety in their game. Keys just doesn't have it. Atrocious movement, limited finesse, mediocre defensive capabilities and not an overly competent volleyer. She needs a lot more to her game before I rate her as a future multiple slam champion like so many others seem to do.

Kyrgios will never reach the level of Fed/Nadal/Joker/Murray. Which is no slight on him, they're clearly 4 of the greats of all time. But yeah, he's not there as a player.

Damn!!! I fell asleep and missed it all, just too many late nights in a row :$

Not having seen the matches, why are people surprised that Nick lost to Murray in straight sets, isn't that what most people were predicting? Of course he will have a rant or two if he is losing, it's how he operates... BUT... do agree that's an area he needs to work on. I think he knows it too.

Surprised Tomic lost and disappointed to hear there was some tanking involved. I know Pouille is an up and comer but as I mentioned previously even Millman beat him a couple of weeks ago on grass so surely Bernie should have beaten him (unless he's not a good match up I suppose).

Kyrgios will never reach the level of Fed/Nadal/Joker/Murray. Which is no slight on him, they're clearly 4 of the greats of all time. But yeah, he's not there as a player.

It's too soon to say if Nick will reach that level.
Damn!!! I fell asleep and missed it all, just too many late nights in a row :$

Not having seen the matches, why are people surprised that Nick lost to Murray in straight sets, isn't that what most people were predicting? Of course he will have a rant or two if he is losing, it's how he operates... BUT... do agree that's an area he needs to work on. I think he knows it too.

Surprised Tomic lost and disappointed to hear there was some tanking involved. I know Pouille is an up and comer but as I mentioned previously even Millman beat him a couple of weeks ago on grass so surely Bernie should have beaten him (unless he's not a good match up I suppose).

Same, I'm also surprised with the negative press about Nick losing to Murray.

Murray is by far the superior player here and will most likely make the finals

I personally don't think Kyrgios will ever fulfil his potential. His mentality at his worst is right down there, hardly something you can just coach him out. Who knows though, maybe growing up will eventually do that for him. Kyrgios playing tennis at his best is such a good sight to see though, so I'll be hoping he somehow sorts his shit out eventually.

I personally don't think Kyrgios will ever fulfil his potential. His mentality at his worst is right down there, hardly something you can just coach him out. Who knows though, maybe growing up will eventually do that for him. Kyrgios playing tennis at his best is such a good sight to see though, so I'll be hoping he somehow sorts his shit out eventually.

I thought that a while back but I have seen some signs of improvement and maturity over the last little while so think he can improve further. You have to remember that development for anyone is not a linear progression, you have highs and lows along the way. If he can regroup from this loss and continue to improve I still think he can go a long way. Grand Slam winner? Who knows....

I thought that a while back but I have seen some signs of improvement and maturity over the last little while so think he can improve further. You have to remember that development for anyone is not a linear progression, you have highs and lows along the way. If he can regroup from this loss and continue to improve I still think he can go a long way. Grand Slam winner? Who knows....
I feel like he was maturing and improving up until the Olympics fiasco. Since then I believe he has regressed a little, which is understandable from my perspective. I think temperamentally he is much better and improving by the day, but his mental state right now doesn't appear to be healthy. The negative press seems to be finally getting to him, which unfortunately just eggs it on more.

I wouldn't be surprised if he takes another break leading up to the US Open and I think it would be a good idea for him. Couple of months out of the spotlight, look for a team that he's comfortable with, and refresh.

This is the thing though, it's always, "Oh she did pretty well to come close," in a match like this. In the end though the player on the other side of the net almost always has too much variety in their game. Keys just doesn't have it. Atrocious movement, limited finesse, mediocre defensive capabilities and not an overly competent volleyer. She needs a lot more to her game before I rate her as a future multiple slam champion like so many others seem to do.
yes, and needs to work on not getting injured. probably the most important thing to work on. should have made at least the quarters in Melbourne, if not the semi.

she IS the power hitter of the women's game. it is such a weapon that on her day, she can beat anyone. no one comes close. even on one leg, she was winning games v Halep in that final set.

she was showing the level of consistency needed before the Wimbledon. made a masters final, r4 in french and a WTA title in the last 3 tournaments before this open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back