Grand Slam Wimbledon 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical how all the novak haters hide in the closet and as soon as Novak looks remotely like losing they pile on him. Utter flogs, Novak will always be the GOAT!!!
Melt of the week.jpg

Massive game from Carlos, he out-Novacked Djokovic. Won a tie break from 0-3, won the fifth set in a grand slam when momentum seemed against him.

Carlos is an astonishing talent, power, touch, movement and only 20 years old.

The Margaret Court curse strikes again, it broke Serena and it has stopped Novack (this time anyway).
Novak was on in the first set. Then just like that, was off in the second onwards.
5-0 up in the first. Looking ominous.
Alcaraz attacked Novak’s serve.

The other point was Novak being up break point, 1-0 up in the fifth set- hits the slam into the net. From then on, Alcaraz just took advantage and smashed his way through.

Hope someone does indeed go past Margaret Court’s record. Horrid woman

This is an incredible achievement by a 20 year old who has only played 3 grass court tournaments prior. Then beating Novak in the final (and Medvedev and Rune to get there). Extraordinary.
To be honest, the draw this year was piss. It was always Alcaraz and Novak v everyone else not up to their level

Novak was on in the first set. Then just like that, was off in the second onwards.

The other point was Novak being up break point, 1-0 up in the fifth set- hits the slam into the net. From then on, Alcaraz just took advantage and smashed his way through.

For much of the first two sets I was thinking Alcaraz must feel like he's fighting for his life for every point, but at some stage of the second set I thought that Novak must be thinking the same. He was having to go more and more for cm-perfect shots to stop the ball coming back and with venom. I'm sure he hasn't faced sustained pressure like that for a long time.

Alcaraz was extraordinary, even when shots weren't coming off either through going for the outrageous or just picking the wrong spot, he learned, adapted and along with Joker, made this an exhilarating tennis match.

Carlos has cleared out from the rest of the contending field. Novak can only keep up for so much longer, so now we wait for a nemesis to Alcaraz to appear on the horizon.

I'd be happy with that. Love Korda.

I saw Korda play in Adelaide at the start of the year and he looked really good, had all the weapons. I was surprised he hasn't featured much since (or I just haven't paid enough attention).

For much of the first two sets I was thinking Alcaraz must feel like he's fighting for his life for every point, but at some stage of the second set I thought that Novak must be thinking the same. He was having to go more and more for cm-perfect shots to stop the ball coming back and with venom. I'm sure he hasn't faced sustained pressure like that for a long time.

Alcaraz was extraordinary, even when shots weren't coming off either through going for the outrageous or just picking the wrong spot, he learned, adapted and along with Joker, made this an exhilarating tennis match.

Carlos has cleared out from the rest of the contending field. Novak can only keep up for so much longer, so now we wait for a nemesis to Alcaraz to appear on the horizon.
Alacaraz is a clay court player, yet already has a hard court and grass major at 20.
It’s scary how good this guy can be.
Watched him in 2021, and his rise through to the ranking was extraordinary. Not surprised he’s this good now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got injured at AO took 3 months off with a wrist injury.

He will be looking at Vondrousova's Wimbledon with great interest ;)

The King is dead, Long live the King!!!

geech, I wish this happened at a time I could watch. just watched what I could. Sounds like it was their French Open match all over again, except this time, Carlos didn't cramp from mental nerves.

How the hell does Carlos win that point at 30-40 on BP to Novak at the beginning of the 5th set? I legit had to re-watch it and I still can't. Novak face showed it all. Novak's face said it all. "This can't be happening"

honestly, Novak actually said it best. Carlos is the best of Fed, Nadal and himself, the guy is 20 and is a freak. His drop shots are groundbreaking good. He destroyed Medbedev with just that one shot.

Nadal is the youngest player with a career Grand Slam...He was 24....Carlos has 4 years to get an Aus Open and a French to beat that. He is already the youngest number 1 player ever. Now, I have been guilty in the past of hoping for an end to the big 4 etc: very long ago. I think this time, it is. He stared down the most intimidating player now and perhaps ever and served it out. He won it. He drop-shot and lobbed him. WOW!!! Novak turned his 6th gear and tried to break him in that last service game and he does that......Like WTF...

I listened to the tennis podcast and they made an interesting point. For Federer, Nadal and Serena, we never knew at the time when they won their last slam, that it was the last. They would win another. Surely? They are too good not to. Father Time is undefeated and can catch up to GOAT very quickly. I wouldn't be shocked to see Novak still win Melbourne. He is so far in front of everyone else(bar one), and this was a 5 setter that could have gone either way. But I just thought it was interesting and made me think. I hope they play again(hopefully in the former king's last castle on RLA). That will be something. Novak will certainly want this, not for revenge, but a rematch and another chance to play him and beat the best currently. (and he is, he is the world number 1 and rightly so)

The King is dead, Long live the King!!!

geech, I wish this happened at a time I could watch. just watched what I could. Sounds like it was their French Open match all over again, except this time, Carlos didn't cramp from mental nerves.

How the hell does Carlos win that point at 30-40 on BP to Novak at the beginning of the 5th set? I legit had to re-watch it and I still can't. Novak face showed it all. Novak's face said it all. "This can't be happening"

honestly, Novak actually said it best. Carlos is the best of Fed, Nadal and himself, the guy is 20 and is a freak. His drop shots are groundbreaking good. He destroyed Medbedev with just that one shot.

Nadal is the youngest player with a career Grand Slam...He was 24....Carlos has 4 years to get an Aus Open and a French to beat that. He is already the youngest number 1 player ever. Now, I have been guilty in the past of hoping for an end to the big 4 etc: very long ago. I think this time, it is. He stared down the most intimidating player now and perhaps ever and served it out. He won it. He drop-shot and lobbed him. WOW!!! Novak turned his 6th gear and tried to break him in that last service game and he does that......Like WTF...

I listened to the tennis podcast and they made an interesting point. For Federer, Nadal and Serena, we never knew at the time when they won their last slam, that it was the last. They would win another. Surely? They are too good not to. Father Time is undefeated and can catch up to GOAT very quickly. I wouldn't be shocked to see Novak still win Melbourne. He is so far in front of everyone else(bar one), and this was a 5 setter that could have gone either way. But I just thought it was interesting and made me think. I hope they play again(hopefully in the former king's last castle on RLA). That will be something. Novak will certainly want this, not for revenge, but a rematch and another chance to play him and beat the best currently. (and he is, he is the world number 1 and rightly so)

Novak have had Nadal do that moment so many times. Nadal would lose pivotal rallies shanking his shots into the net.
Djokovic had uncharacteristic backhand errors too. Guess he can’t always have all the luck

Alcaraz can own the world for the next 10 years. No one can come close. Clay court player winning on grass and hard court already at 20. Even Nadal didn’t adapt his game as quick as Alcaraz have.

Why is she horrible woman?
Do you know her

Novak will be very hungry next time they play, I'd expect him to do a lot of research and change his tactics somehwhat for his next matchup with Alcaraz.

For example after Medvedev demolished him in the 2021 US Open final, in thier next matchup at Paris Indoor Novak began to serve and volley a lot more to counteract his deep baseline returns and won the match.

As you said father time does catch up with everyone though, and Alcaraz is only going to get better.

Went to Wimbledon this year, for probably the fourth time. First time in over 10 years though as we were holidaying in London.

Experience was horrible. Wanted to take the kids late afternoon. Had done this a few times when I worked in London and expected to queue for 90 mins or 2 hours so. Well it was over 4 hours, and it was clear more people were leaving then they were letting in. When we reached the end, we received a congratulations like we were a privileged few for entering their esteemed tennis tournament. Like seriously congratulations? How about a thank you or some sympathy for queuing so long.

Get in and wondered around the outside courts. Despite the long queue Court 2 and Court 3 empty. Where was everyone? Saw probably an hour or so of tennis. At close to 10pm went to Court 1, which was also empty. An addditional game was put on hastily to catch up for all the delayed games. Was a 60 something ranked Serb v 100 or so ranked Yank. Would have been no more than 200 people inside. So barren the umpire was echoing around the stadium. The military person at the gate, ‘will let you in as there is no one inside’. As the game ends he begins to let my family of 4 in, (two kids under 12 who were desperate to see more tennis), an official scurries up and says ’this is an all ticketed match’. He stood there, showing off his accredition and wimbledone tie and wanted to see our Court 1 tickets. It was a ghost town, only one’s there at this gate. So couldn’t go in after that. The military guy was so embarrassed and apologetic and commented on the ridiculousness of it all.

Then went outside where my son was standing underneath the monintor near Henman Hill. An official comes over and tells my 10 year old they’re blocking a 10m wide footpath during the 10 seconds he was standing there. Again place was fairly empty by this stage.

Won’t bother again.

Last edited:
I think it was a bad result for women's tennis - It was shaping up well from the QF's with most of the leading seeds still in play - Jabeur will regret this loss because she is much the better player - Then Radacanu's victory in the 2021 US Open wasn't good for tennis as she's hardly been sighted since.

All I can say about Alcaraz is that he's a damn good player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back