Grand Slam Wimbledon 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Martina be like "One day we can remove Margaret's name from the top of the list"

But to be fair on Kerber. She got to World Number 1 by winning 2 GSs or at least 1. Not like the other 2.

Yep agreed, she also played great tennis throughout her career just lacked the ability to produce it on big stages. She’s gotten through that now and the results are speaking for themselves. A real hard yakka champion

Oldest female Grand Slam finalists:

*37-290 (WI 2019) - Serena Williams (?)
37-257 (WI 1994) - Martina Navratilova (L)
*37-255 (FR 2019) - Serena Williams (?)
*37-123 (AU 2019) - Serena Williams (?)

37-029 (WI 2017) - Venus Williams (L)
*36-347 (US 2018) - Serena Williams (?)
36-291 (WI 2018) - Serena Williams (L)
36-225 (AU 2017) - Venus Williams (L)
35-124 (AU 2017) - Serena Williams (W)

But to be fair on Kerber. She got to World Number 1 by winning 2 GSs or at least 1. Not like the other 2.
year end number 1 with a silver medal. I think she won the end of year champs as well..........(nope, runner up)

7 are massively delayed here. I seem to have twitter updates a couple of min before it happens. NBD/

Angie is legit 3/4 in GS finals. Crazy.

Kerber with a ruthless performance, refusing to miss all match. She was aggressive and played big shots at key moments. Now moves ahead of many other ladies who are on 2 slams.

Serena was very humble in defeat. Clearly the 2 respect and like each other.

5 UE for Angie in the finals. Even Crazier

Thank * we avoided seeing the Honour Roll look as such:
2016 Miss S. Williams
2017 Miss G. Muguruza
2018 Mrs A. K. Ohanian

I don't think it gets any easier for Serena. Kind of like Rafa with the French, it would take an enormous effort for her to win another one outside Wimbledon I reckon.

Her Wimbledon career is over-rated IMO. Yeah she’s won it 7 times, but I think people are lured into thinking it’s her best tournament because she has defended her title there on 3 occasions, because she (usually) is the ace Queen on grass, and because of the constant presence the Williams sisters have been there.

But her best and most ferocious tennis is on the hard courts. She’s won the US Open six times, and possibly could have won more if it wasn’t such an emotionally triggering Slam for her. Then there’s the Australian Open which she’s also won 7 times, including the last which she won in straight sets while pregnant.

Thank **** we avoided seeing the Honour Roll look as such:
2016 Miss S. Williams
2017 Miss G. Muguruza
2018 Mrs A. K. Ohanian

Serena didn't legally change her name. So it would be Mrs. S. Williams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it gets any easier for Serena. Kind of like Rafa with the French, it would take an enormous effort for her to win another one outside Wimbledon I reckon.
I agree. Phenomenal effort from Serena but I wouldn't bet my house that she will win 2 more slams. Of course if anyone is capable, she is, but it's gonna be a struggle. Now that she's top 30 maybe she can get top 16 to make her path a little easier at the US and AU.

Look at how happy she is. Roll of Honour.

Her Wimbledon career is over-rated IMO. Yeah she’s won it 7 times, but I think people are lured into thinking it’s her best tournament because she has defended her title there on 3 occasions, because she (usually) is the ace Queen on grass, and because of the constant presence the Williams sisters have been there.

But her best and most ferocious tennis is on the hard courts. She’s won the US Open six times, and possibly could have won more if it wasn’t such an emotionally triggering Slam for her. Then there’s the Australian Open which she’s also won 7 times, including the last which she won in straight sets while pregnant.
Serena's best/peak tennis was at wimbledon in 2012. I've never seen a tennis player dominate a tournament as she did that year. Phenomenal level of tennis. You could argue that the Aus Open is her best slam.

Serena's best/peak tennis was at wimbledon in 2012. I've never seen a tennis player dominate a tournament as she did that year. Phenomenal level of tennis. You could argue that the Aus Open is her best slam.

See I would go with either US Opens in 13 or 14 as well. She’s been awesome for so bloody long you could find highlights going back to the late 90’s

She is not at her peak anymore and I think it unrealistic to expect she will get back to anywhere near it at her age after having a kid.

Wimbledon is the best chance for her to win another slam because a lot of other players are non factors on grass. Rest of the field pose a stronger threat on hard.

Kerber, Davenport, Wade - 3 major titles all at different slams

First 3 major titles wins at different slams - Sharapova*, Hingis, Henin, Mandlikova, Goolagong, Serena

*first 4 were all different slams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back