Senior 16. Sam De Koning (2020 -)

Remove this Banner Ad

With Henry Kolo and Stewart in defence for the long term I think we’ve recruited this lad for the ruck position. A 201cm big man with a midfielders brain? Perfect fit for a ruck.
And none of them plays on big forwards. They are all mid-sized with versatility but to think any of them has the size and strength to be a bona fide key defender playing on the equivalent of Tom Hawkins week in, week out is optimistic at best. Yes, they have the potential to play bigger every now and again but all the time isn't going to happen.

People seriously overrate our key defensive stocks. A genuine key defender is needed. That being said, I think De Koning is a ruck forward.

And none of them plays on big forwards. They are all mid-sized with versatility but to think any of them has the size and strength to be a bona fide key defender playing on the equivalent of Tom Hawkins week in, week out is optimistic at best. Yes, they have the potential to play bigger every now and again but all the time isn't going to happen.

People seriously overrate our key defensive stocks. A genuine key defender is needed. That being said, I think De Koning is a ruck forward.

Thus far he's done alright for himself as a key defender.

Thus far he's done alright for himself as a key defender.
De Koning? I'm not doubting his ability as a defender at all. I just think his height and athleticism would make a potentially amazing duo with Sav and for that reason, the Cats will try him there. Him panning out with Sav and splitting back up ruck duties would be very interesting assuming both pan out.

De Koning? I'm not doubting his ability as a defender at all. I just think his height and athleticism would make a potentially amazing duo with Sav and for that reason, the Cats will try him there. Him panning out with Sav and splitting back up ruck duties would be very interesting assuming both pan out.

If he's going to play hybrid l suppose that's another option.

Seems like this kid is capable of playing everywhere according to the experts... That's worked out really well when we move players all over the ground into different positions (Blicavs wing, Henderson forward). The days of players having a position are long gone which is great. I think we should start him in the ruck then full back then full forward so he can learn every position on the ground.

It shouldn't be overlooked that De Koning was selected as AA full back....

He is but stats tell you its not hard to find good tall backs with late picks but its very hard to find good tall fwds with late picks. If he can only play FB fine but if he shows promise as a KPF (with Sav in the ruck) or as a ruck then that's where you play him imo.

Seems like this kid is capable of playing everywhere according to the experts... That's worked out really well when we move players all over the ground into different positions (Blicavs wing, Henderson forward). The days of players having a position are long gone which is great. I think we should start him in the ruck then full back then full forward so he can learn every position on the ground.

Makes sense but I hear frogs croaking at KP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Henry Kolo and Stewart in defence for the long term I think we’ve recruited this lad for the ruck position. A 201cm big man with a midfielders brain? Perfect fit for a ruck.

None of Henry, Kolo or Stewart are tall defenders.

It shouldn't be overlooked that De Koning was selected as AA full back....

True but its not exactly like winning the Larke... Not sure .. but I think a few AA Fb have not gone on to be world beaters... Collins? Goddard?

He would have more to offer and flexibility than those players .. being 200 plus means he has options ..especially on our list.

You like him?
My initial impression is the kid plays too 'nice' and he will have issues adjusting to the intensity of AFL and won't make it with his slight frame. But I'm trying to be positive so lets just pretend he will turn into Grundy or Scarlett. We will keep him on our list for a long time because he is 200cm+ and my best bet he will have issues with injuries. Doesn't mean he isn't a nice kid - just don't think he has 'it' - hopefully he proves me wrong.

My initial impression is the kid plays too 'nice' and he will have issues adjusting to the intensity of AFL and won't make it with his slight frame. But I'm trying to be positive so lets just pretend he will turn into Grundy or Scarlett. We will keep him on our list for a long time because he is 200cm+ and my best bet he will have issues with injuries. Doesn't mean he isn't a nice kid - just don't think he has 'it' - hopefully he proves me wrong.
Can't say i'm shocked with your negative opinion. It's like the sun rising in the morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back