Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Disappearance of Barwon Prison Boss David Prideaux - High Country Mount Stirling
Hit and Run Death of Bryce Airs - High Country Jamieson

Israel Keyes

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
Did they find the piece of skull when they went back, presumably when they got another piece of information through the committall? That information from my reading of the situation, came from Lynn's lawyer who incidentally, was trying to have Lynn's police statement thrown out.

My understanding is it was found after they arrested him but before the committal but I could be wrong. When was the case officially turned over to homicide? Seems hard to find out that information. Imagine the first thing homicide would do is a forensic sweep of the campsite as that is the last known location of CC/RH.

I do find it a bit strange knowing how much open space there is in the 'Gatta that RH would set up camp right next to anyone. In my experience of the place campers are spread out usually over a distance of kilometers rather than right next door.
Yes, sounds like a cantankerous old git. Something like he's seen that Lynn's already there and gone "stuff him, this is OUR spot, we're setting up regardless, he can get stuffed".

My understanding is it was found after they arrested him but before the committal but I could be wrong. When was the case officially turned over to homicide? Seems hard to find out that information. Imagine the first thing homicide would do is a forensic sweep of the campsite as that is the last known location of CC/RH.

They did do a forensic sweep, we've seen the images and there's police tape on the mirror frame. There's no way they didn't realise and quite quickly, that it was a homicide imo.

Yes, sounds like a cantankerous old git. Something like he's seen that Lynn's already there and gone "stuff him, this is OUR spot, we're setting up regardless, he can get stuffed".

Which is not against the law obviously. But generally frowned upon out in the vast open spaces of the high country.

They did do a forensic sweep, we've seen the images and there's police tape on the mirror frame. There's no way they didn't realise and quite quickly, that it was a homicide imo.

I imagine a blue light examination probably showed something, particularly as they said there was human tissue remnants on the ute canopy. And I also doubt GL was camping with a bunch of sodium percabonate.

Don't you think that if Clay was "chased down" and shot, there would be evidence of blood at the scene. That's why I think both were most likely killed while sleeping in the tent and that is the reason the tent was burned.
That means GL had time to think about it, calm down and not make a 'bad' decision. It happening during a confrontation is bad enough, bad that would take it to a whole other level.

That means GL had time to think about it, calm down and not make a 'bad' decision. It happening during a confrontation is bad enough, bad that would take it to a whole other level.
If RH had video of him shooting illegally, that might explain it. RH was a frequent visitor to the National Park and I'm pretty sure he would have got permission to fly the drone.

"You need approval to launch, land or operate a drone in a national park or other reserve managed by National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS). The Drones in parks policy provides detailed information on using drones and how to apply for approval.
Commercial use of drones in national parks requires approval and is subject to the NPWS Filming and photography policy.

Before you fly a drone in a park

Of course, as a check pilot, Lynn would have been the "expert" on CASA rules.

I think the prosecution will be presenting evidence from Hill's recent interactions with other campers that will debunk the "cantankerous old git" theory.

Not sure how much this will be used by the prosecution as it will be countered by GL's defense saying he didn't want to be blamed for deaths he claims he wasn't responsible for hence the attempt at a coverup and the defence will also use his cooperation with showing the location of the remains to police to their advantage.
I don’t think anyone is going to fall for that. IMO

Don't you think that if Clay was "chased down" and shot, there would be evidence of blood at the scene. That's why I think both were most likely killed while sleeping in the tent and that is the reason the tent was burned.
There is evidence of blood and bone at the scene about 20-30m away from the campsite. I would say the incident took place before they were asleep. Sometime between Hill’s last radio call and sunset as this would give Lynn enough time to burn the evidence and get out of the crime scene.

There is evidence of blood and bone at the scene about 20-30m away from the campsite. I would say the incident took place before they were asleep. Sometime between Hill’s last radio call and sunset as this would give Lynn enough time to burn the evidence and get out of the crime scene.
OK, I didn't know that. Can you provide a link please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I reckon there's a good chance. He will think he's smart enough and good enough, rehearsed enough to get through it and he'll be reading the jury.
Lynn may think he’s smart cooking up a story and having an overpaid lawyer but I doubt every member of the jury is stupid. Lynn’s story has more holes than a strainer basket.

That's a good point but this doesn't explain the shotgun damage to the mirror which appears definitely to be there.

Sorry if this has already been suggested I’m still 4 pages behind, but I wonder if the mirror was shot/damaged during the struggle, with no injury happening to Carol at that time. Then GL over-powers Russell, shoots him (because we still don’t have a cause of death for him yet, do we?), and then takes after Carol and shoots her at point blank range, which explains the state of her skull fragment/pieces and the 20m distance, plus also accounts for the damage to the mirror and lack of blood splatter?

Sorry if this has already been suggested I’m still 4 pages behind, but I wonder if the mirror was shot/damaged during the struggle, with no injury happening to Carol at that time. Then GL over-powers Russell, shoots him (because we still don’t have a cause of death for him yet, do we?), and then takes after Carol and shoots her at point blank range, which explains the state of her skull fragment/pieces and the 20m distance, plus also accounts for the damage to the mirror and lack of blood splatter?

That sounds plausible.

Lisa 1st wife found dead in the garden of her home (very suspicious circumstances)
2 bodies of camping neighbours - burnt in the bush (claims self defense)
GL is the common denominator
GL the gift of "drama" - if I were the 2nd/3rd wife I'd run for the Hills !!!

It sounds like Lynn's given a story that's broadly consistent with the facts and evidence. And the prosecution admitted they have no indication of motive. And no witnesses. Nothing that clearly contradicts Lynn's version so far.

I can't see him being found guilty of murder beyond a reasonable doubt.

Edit: I'm willing to change this view when new evidence is presented. And I haven't followed this meticulously. But it has the feel of one where it'll be difficult to pin him beyond doubt.

Last edited:
Excerpt from Herald Sun article:

On the defence case, Mr Lynn was camping nearby to Mr Hill and Ms Clay and their initial interaction on March 19 was to “exchange pleasantries”.

Mr Dann told the jury that his client was deer hunting in the area and about dinnertime on March 20, walked over to ask Mr Hill “about his drone”.

Mr Hill was “speaking nonsense” and accused Mr Lynn of hunting too close to camp, Mr Dann said, so his client returned to his camp and turned the radio on “trying to annoy Mr Hill”.

I'm sure this has been raised before but it appears in the evidence that RH arrived on the Thursday night. GL claims here that the two parties exchanged pleasantries on the Thu night with no issues.

I always thought RH had arrive just before the radio call on the 20th March. It appears he was already in the "Gatta the night before GL claims the altercation started after dinner on the 20th when he questioned RH about using his drone. In this case both parties were known to each other after the interaction on the previous night.

It sounds like Lynn's given a story that's broadly consistent with the known facts and evidence. And the prosecution has admitted they have no firm indications of motive. And no witnesses. Nothing that clearly contradicts Lynn's version of events.

Given all that, I can't see how he could be found guilty of murder beyond a reasonable doubt.

One thing that works against him - if it went down as he claimed - why not leave everything as it was and get the police down there right away? RH had communication equipment and he also had communication equipment. And if he doesn't get on the stand to explain why it isn't a good look for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back