Current Trial Wonnangatta - Murders of Russell Hill & Carol Clay *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Disappearance of Barwon Prison Boss David Prideaux - High Country Mount Stirling
Hit and Run Death of Bryce Airs - High Country Jamieson

Israel Keyes

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
Flying drones over people, setting up camp too close to others and complaining about what they're doing...for a bloke that loved the outdoors he didn't seem to respect other people's ability to also enjoy it

Not to mention having a misso on the side, way long term….

Witnesses’ memories are notoriously unreliable so maybe they did and maybe they didn’t. Especially after the time lapse.

True, 2 years and 10 months had passed by the time they attended that Jan 2023 hearing, but these 2 blokes would have definitely recounted their recollections to the police much earlier than this and been deemed credible, otherwise why would they be called upon. Also, one noted that he found a move by R&C to be ‘strange’, so that suggests, to me anyway, that he was paying attention to what he was seeing. Usually those ‘strange’ things we witness are the ones that stick better in our memories. Anyway, I guess we’ll see soon enough.

I'm going it's what's called 'resting bitch face' rather than 'grumpy old bugger'.

In the photo's of R. Hill that is normally used that is him smiling. Let's not forget as was said very early in this thread he didn't like to smile because of his teeth. He looks angry even when he is not.
So if he wasn't speaing at the time that he 'zooms' past the weed sprayer, the weed sprayer saying that he looks like he was having an argument is a guess on their part.

One thing that works against him - if it went down as he claimed - why not leave everything as it was and get the police down there right away? RH had communication equipment and he also had communication equipment. And if he doesn't get on the stand to explain why it isn't a good look for him.
Especially if RH was accidentally stabbed. Did GL do anything to render first aid? You've just had somebody get their head blown off with your gun, surely you want the only witness to survive

The Guardian quotes from the trial that most cars stopped to talk to the weedsprayers, but the grumpy old man did not and the weedsprayers saw the drone dip it's wings to acknowledge them.
If this is the best police can come up with GL's a free man

Bit of a weird take given the prosecution has even rested yet. GL already admitted he accidentally killed them. Plus all the other offences he’s committed. He’s not going to be a free man.

What happened to RH's vehicle afterwards? Can GL's defence request forensics on the mirror and/or remains of it? If the ricochet off the mirror into CC's head can be proven that changes things significantly.
There is no mirror - the picture of the campsite clearly shows the mirror is gone, the bracket is the only thing remaining.
I do find it a bit strange knowing how much open space there is in the 'Gatta that RH would set up camp right next to anyone. In my experience of the place campers are spread out usually over a distance of kilometers rather than right next door.
Particularly given he got grumpy about others' doing the exact same thing to him (per the Oscars H2H witness)
Yes, sounds like a cantankerous old git. Something like he's seen that Lynn's already there and gone "stuff him, this is OUR spot, we're setting up regardless, he can get stuffed".
and then: Well bugger you, I'll play my music up really loud and see how you like being so close, followed closely by: Eff you, if you're going to play music that loud, I'm gonna buzz your camp with my drone. it appears that there may have been quite a bit of pissing each other off going on.
It sounds like Lynn's given a story that's broadly consistent with the facts and evidence. And the prosecution admitted they have no indication of motive. And no witnesses. Nothing that clearly contradicts Lynn's version.
The best liars stick as closely as possible to the truth - easier not to get caught out. The prosecution have always suggested it was over the drone - why else was it gone? We don't know exactly what they have yet, but it must have been enough to convince the DPP to pursue the x2 charges of Murder.
Excerpt from Herald Sun article:

On the defence case, Mr Lynn was camping nearby to Mr Hill and Ms Clay and their initial interaction on March 19 was to “exchange pleasantries”.

Mr Dann told the jury that his client was deer hunting in the area and about dinnertime on March 20, walked over to ask Mr Hill “about his drone”...

...I always thought RH had arrive just before the radio call on the 20th March. It appears he was already in the "Gatta the night before GL claims the altercation started after dinner on the 20th when he questioned RH about using his drone. In this case both parties were known to each other after the interaction on the previous night.
Early in the piece, his radio mates said they'd made contact the night before (19th) and RH said he was up on the plains. They also said that in the call on 20th, he said that he'd had a great run down ZS track and still had to finish setting up camp. I still get a sense that they did come across each other before the 20th but it wasn't at Bucks.
The only reason GL was picked up as a person of interest was his decision to travel the long way home from Dargo via Hotham and subsequently get himself snapped on the Hotham resort cameras.

Had that not happened he may not even have been arrested.
Not to mention that he had RHs phone that pinged there at almost the same time.
Hill might have told his buddy over the radio they just got there or there was some kind of misunderstanding.
The radio guys definitely said he had not long arrived in camp on 20th - there does seem to be some inconsistencies in the timeline of witnesses.
Bit of a weird take given the prosecution has even rested yet. GL already admitted he accidentally killed them. Plus all the other offences he’s committed. He’s not going to be a free man.
He hasn't admitted he accidently killed them...he's said neither of their deaths were his doing.

I suspect Lynn may have been illegal hunting at night for which the penalties can be quite severe, including seizures of not just weapons but vehicles and hunting related items. Cancellation of licences, bannings and a court prosecution. If any of his weapons were prohibited, it could mean jail.

The GMA have executed 7 warrants since July last year, actioned 15 GMA led operations and 17 multi agency operations.

If Lynn says the murders happened 10.00 or 11.00pm with his hunting activity confined to daylight hours, why was he still up and about with at-the-ready weapons in an unlocked vehicle?

I suspect Lynn may have been illegal hunting at night for which the penalties can be quite severe, including seizures of not just weapons but vehicles and hunting related items. Cancellation of licences, bannings and a court prosecution. If any of his weapons were prohibited, it could mean jail.

The GMA have executed 7 warrants since July last year, actioned 15 GMA led operations and 17 multi agency operations.

If Lynn says the murders happened 10.00 or 11.00pm with his hunting activity confined to daylight hours, why was he still up and about with at-the-ready weapons in an unlocked vehicle?

maybe...but if RH captured him on drone footage, unless he had infrared (unlikely), it would have had to have been during daylight hours I'm thinking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe...but if RH captured him on drone footage, unless he had infrared (unlikely), it would have had to have been during daylight hours I'm thinking?

The danger of the drone to Lynn after the deaths, wasn't necessarily because RH caught drone imagery of him hunting at night. Lynn took anything capable of taking images that could prove he was even there.

This new episode that dropped on The Missing Campers podcast, has Lynn having a discussion with his wife while they were watching the 60 Mins program.

Their house was bugged and he's recorded saying "I was only there for four hours. It's not funny."

Any imagery Hill or Clay might have had, would prove he was there when they were. "Four hours" was a curious thing to say, it's very specific.

The danger of the drone to Lynn after the deaths, wasn't necessarily because RH caught drone imagery of him hunting at night. Lynn took anything capable of taking images that could prove he was even there.
So what is the relevance of him hunting at night then, if not having been caught by the drone? I'm not sure I follow your thinking.
My issue with GL taking the drone because it contained footage is that drones don't typically hold footage physically. They are usually controlled by a phone app and footage is recorded on that. There's only two scenarios I can think of for the drone allegedly being taken/destroyed - GL doesn't know footage isn't contained on the drone (which I don't buy) or it was the reason for the altercation and was damaged in course of the night.

This new episode that dropped on The Missing Campers podcast, has Lynn having a discussion with his wife while they were watching the 60 Mins program.

Their house was bugged and he's recorded saying "I was only there for four hours. It's not funny."

Any imagery Hill or Clay might have had, would prove he was there when they were. "Four hours" was a curious thing to say, it's very specific.
Yes I listened to that on my way to work this morning. I thought the time frame odd too, but can imagine his wife saying something along the lines of "Isn't it funny that its the same as your car?"

Just spitballing but, maybe he came back to camp at around 8 after hunting (30 mins after dark allowable) to find RH/CC camped close by. If he left at around midnight as the witnesses have reported they heard the car leaving, that would account for 4 hours?

I think from memory last light would have been around 8pm, if sunset was around 7.40pm. Hill had finished his radio chat saying he was going to fly his drone have dinner etc. And yes I doubt it would be flying at night. Lynn claimed Hill stole his gun and fired it in the air. Could this really be Lynn shot Hill's drone down? Shot 1 etc? Does he shoot it down with a shotgun best chance of getting it that way? And then off we go with the confrontation

I think from memory last light would have been around 8pm, if sunset was around 7.40pm. Hill had finished his radio chat saying he was going to fly his drone have dinner etc. And yes I doubt it would be flying at night. Lynn claimed Hill stole his gun and fired it in the air. Could this really be Lynn shot Hill's drone down? Shot 1 etc? Does he shoot it down with a shotgun best chance of getting it that way? And then off we go with the confrontation
I think we are on the same page...I think there's cause to explain away 3 gunshots. One of those being the one that took out the drone and at least one that hit CC.

So what is the relevance of him hunting at night then, if not having been caught by the drone? I'm not sure I follow your thinking.
My issue with GL taking the drone because it contained footage is that drones don't typically hold footage physically. They are usually controlled by a phone app and footage is recorded on that. There's only two scenarios I can think of for the drone allegedly being taken/destroyed - GL doesn't know footage isn't contained on the drone (which I don't buy) or it was the reason for the altercation and was damaged in course of the night.

I think Lynn probably did shoot the drone out of the sky but I also suspect he was carrying illegal weapons and/or illegally hunting, the consequences for getting caught doing that might mean the end of his career.

The musterer said he found several fresh decapitated stags within 50m of the start of the search, presumably the start of the search being at Russell and Carol's campsite.

I think Lynn probably did shoot the drone out of the sky but I also suspect he was carrying illegal weapons and/or illegally hunting, the consequences for getting caught doing that might mean the end of his career.

The musterer said he found several fresh decapitated stags within 50m of the start of the search, presumably the start of the search being at Russell and Carol's campsite.
Maybe but I guess we'll never know.

As for the musterer, anything that comes from Lachlan Culican, I'll take with a grain of salt. There were other details he quoted that were just plain wrong. He's also known as a bit of a show pony around Merrijig (stop in at the pub and mention his name LOL), one who likes to talk himself up. But if they were there, they could have been left by the two hunters that have been called as witnesses - they were also camped there.

The Guardian quotes from the trial that most cars stopped to talk to the weedsprayers, but the grumpy old man did not and the weedsprayers saw the drone dip it's wings to acknowledge them.
If this is the best police can come up with GL's a free man
2 days into an anticipated 6 week trial and this is your considered opinion?

Pathology and Ballistic evidence have not been admitted yet and I would hazzard a guess that there will photographic and survey evidence to be provided showing relative locations of both camps with elevations recorded, where the vehicles were located and various evidence found and how that fits into the narrative provided in the police interviews.

A motive for the murder/s is immaterial, it may be a hypothesis that the police use to guide the beginning of their investigation and may be used a narrative hook to relate the evidence to the Court.

The contents of the evidence and the way it is presented should be able to prove the charges or not

IF he said it happened at 10 or 11pm, then I'm thinking two people of that age would likely be in bed asleep.

Lynn says Hill hated guns because a relative or friend was killed by a hunter.

So Hill, who is concerned about gun safety, decides to go to a strangers vehicle and remove a gun and take the gun back to his campsite.

Just that alone makes no sense.

And don’t get me started on the bullets ricocheting off car mirrors and cleanly entering Carols head killing her instantly and then a knife fight with Russell falling onto the knife and also dying. Like an old western.

I mean COME ON.

Oh, and then instead of contacting police you remove money, ID, burn the campsite down. You don’t just dump the bodies, you burn them and then smash the remaining bones into smithereens.

That is not consistent with a good bloke who accidentally killed two people and made a series of bad decisions. That’s a psycho.

Mr Lynn should just admit he allowed his anger to get the better of him.

Back