Current Trial Wonnangatta - Murders of Russell Hill & Carol Clay *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Disappearance of Barwon Prison Boss David Prideaux - High Country Mount Stirling
Hit and Run Death of Bryce Airs - High Country Jamieson

Israel Keyes

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
Lynn and Hill around 50 metres as stated by the Detective who did the 60 min show. Was also stated Lynn was there 1st and was in the best river frontage position so Hill had to settle for the one near it.

14.58 mins in this 60 min video shows campsites and reference to how far away Lynn was:

That's too close to be polite imo but I was thinking of how long it would take Lynn or Hill to charge the distance and whether there was any incline for either of them to be running out of puff by the time they got there.

Edit: I was surprised by the lack of questions about RH and guns - there was one regarding whether Ashlin knew of the deer hunting incident in which RHs relative was killed.

Did Ashlin know? I’m wondering if it was the young chap who was killed up at Neerim a few years back. If so, it could explain why RH would feel so passionately down about guns and hunters. If I remember rightly he was just a kid, still a teenager I think?

If I’m remembering correctly wasn’t there someone who said they were driving along in the Wonnangatta Valley behind an older grey haired couple in a white land cruiser on the 19th, that was going slow? And everyone sort of dismissed it because of RH’s radio call on the 20th saying he had to finish setting up camp, etc?

I don’t think GL would say they were there on the 19th if they weren’t, as if it could be proven that he was lying, then the prosecution would then argue that nothing he says can be trusted as being the truth.
Evidence from today in court from person engaged in fishing surveys. He stated he saw an elderly couple driving in about 4pm.

I can’t remember what date though.

Sorry I thought zidane said the range the drone could fly was 1.5km, when it's actually about 15km. In which case RH could have ventured far and wide. I'll put my glasses on next time.
DJI Mavic Pro has a range of 7kms.
DJI Mavic Pro 2 has a range of 18kms

He may have mean't 15Kms.?

Did Ashlin know? I’m wondering if it was the young chap who was killed up at Neerim a few years back. If so, it could explain why RH would feel so passionately down about guns and hunters. If I remember rightly he was just a kid, still a teenager I think?
no, he didn't have any knowledge of the incident

That's too close to be polite imo but I was thinking of how long it would take Lynn or Hill to charge the distance and whether there was any incline for either of them to be running out of puff by the time they got there.
Flat as a tack out there, unless you were unfit, I wouldn't imagine covering that distance causing anyone to be short of breath

Especially if RH was accidentally stabbed. Did GL do anything to render first aid? You've just had somebody get their head blown off with your gun, surely you want the only witness to survive

Exactly.

In any accidental death/s you have an obligation to seek medical help or report to the police. Lynn is a super smart guy with a very high IQ and operates in aviation in an environment where all rules must be followed to the letter of the law. Without exception. He was was an expert in this and was trusted to teach this culture to those he was training. You’d fully expect and accept a teenager might panic and try to cover up something as hideous as this.

Where as pilots are trained and expected to remain calm in a crisis. Most of us in an emergency situation will have a degree of panic that will impact out comes and decisions. Pilots cannot do this. Those that do panic are weeded out very quickly.

Indeed annual proficiency training has elements where pilots are observed under high stress emergency situations and accessed for their ability to remain calm under pressure.

Pilots of all the people in our community - are trained continually throughout their career to repress, recognise and control these emotions.

Additionally it takes a certain mind set to bone and skin deer. Not to mention dismember bodies. Average Joe Blow may indeed panic and try to cover up an accidental death or say a hit run. It’s on another level entirely to go back - as has been ALLEGED - to dismember bodies months after any death.

I stress I am not for the moment suggesting Lynn did this. I am just saying who ever did interfere with the bodies, and this evidence is yet to be tested in court, is of a disposition in order to be able to do this, that most people could not stomach.

Last edited:
Yes Kurve it is close and when you watch the show and visualize it you can easily see how these 2 fellows would have banged heads, pity it didn't end up just as banged heads. At that distance they were on show for each other. And you could imagine the proximity of any noise. Recipe for disaster, drones, noisy stereos, gunshots, screaming so sad. It should of ended as a chat between 2 blokes with consideration for each other. Everyone lives happily ever after.

Exactly.

In any accidental death/s you have an obligation to seek medical help or report to the police. Lynn is a super smart guy with a very high IQ and operates in aviation in an environment where all rules must be followed to the letter of the law. Without exception. He was was an expert in this and was trusted to teach this culture to those he was training. You’d fully expect and accept a teenager might panic and try to cover up something as hideous as this.

Where as pilots are trained and expected to remain calm in a crisis. Most of us in an emergency situation will have a degree of panic that will impact out comes and decisions. Pilots cannot do this. Those that do panic are weeded out very quickly.

Indeed annual proficiency training has elements where pilots are observed under high stress emergency situations and accessed for their ability to remain calm under pressure.

Pilots of all the people in our community - are trained continually throughout their career to repress, recognise and control these emotions.

Additionally it takes a certain mind set to bone and skin deer. Not to mention dismember bodies. Average Joe Blow may indeed panic and try to cover up an accidental death or say a hit run. It’s on another level entirely to go back - as has been ALLEGED - to dismember bodies months after any death.

I stress I am not for the moment suggesting Lynn did this. I am just saying who ever did dismember the bodies, and this evidence is yet to be tested in court, is of a disposition in order to be able to do this, that most people could not stomach.
Not sure if he dismembered the bodies.? That is a whole different scenario. He burnt them and may have come back and separated the bones or tried to destroy them? Dismemberment is the cutting of body parts with the flesh still intact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The law as it relates to the carriage of fire arms in Victoria.​

Safekeeping of firearms and ammunition while being carried or used​

There are specific legislative requirements for the safekeeping of firearms and cartridge ammunition while they are being carried or used.

Regardless of the type of firearm, it is a requirement that a person carrying or using a firearm or cartridge ammunition must:

• Ensure that the firearm/cartridge ammunition is carried or used in a manner that is secure and is not dangerous.
  • Take reasonable precautions to ensure that the firearm/cartridge ammunition is not lost or stolen.

Safekeeping of firearms when being transported in vehicles​

In most circumstances firearms should be transported safely by:

• Storing firearms in a padded or hard case. Firearms and magazines must not be loaded.
  • Limiting the operability of the firearm and where possible, removing bolts, opening the action, or using trigger locks.
  • Storing cartridge ammunition separately from the firearm. We recommend that you store ammunition in a lockable container while in the vehicle. You should keep any keys to the container in your possession.
  • Keeping firearms secure and out of sight of the public.
A common sense approach to storing firearms during transport is essential. Licence holders must immediately return firearms to storage when not in use or being transported.

This information should be used as a guide. It does not override storage requirements imposed by other regulations. Make sure you know about any other storage requirements, such as those provided in the Wildlife (Game) Regulations 2012.

It will be interesting to see what evidence is presented about how the guns in this case were secured.

I stress I am not for the moment suggesting Lynn did this. I am just saying who ever did dismember the bodies, and this evidence is yet to be tested in court, is of a disposition in order to be able to do this, that most people could not stomach.
It doesn't sound like the defence is contesting any of what the prosecution allege happened after the deaths of RH/CC. If his team's opening is anything to go by, that's not even in question. It does speak to his ability to plan and stay calm following events that would trigger most people's flight, fight or freeze response.

The law as it relates to the carriage of fire arms in Victoria.​

Safekeeping of firearms and ammunition while being carried or used​

There are specific legislative requirements for the safekeeping of firearms and cartridge ammunition while they are being carried or used.

Regardless of the type of firearm, it is a requirement that a person carrying or using a firearm or cartridge ammunition must:

• Ensure that the firearm/cartridge ammunition is carried or used in a manner that is secure and is not dangerous.
  • Take reasonable precautions to ensure that the firearm/cartridge ammunition is not lost or stolen.

Safekeeping of firearms when being transported in vehicles​

In most circumstances firearms should be transported safely by:

• Storing firearms in a padded or hard case. Firearms and magazines must not be loaded.
  • Limiting the operability of the firearm and where possible, removing bolts, opening the action, or using trigger locks.
  • Storing cartridge ammunition separately from the firearm. We recommend that you store ammunition in a lockable container while in the vehicle. You should keep any keys to the container in your possession.
  • Keeping firearms secure and out of sight of the public.
A common sense approach to storing firearms during transport is essential. Licence holders must immediately return firearms to storage when not in use or being transported.

This information should be used as a guide. It does not override storage requirements imposed by other regulations. Make sure you know about any other storage requirements, such as those provided in the Wildlife (Game) Regulations 2012.

It will be interesting to see what evidence is presented about how the guns in this case were secured.
Yeah good point. How did he allow Hill to walk into an unlocked vehicle and take a loaded shotgun. (Not that I believe that version).

Yeah good point. How did he allow Hill to walk into an unlocked vehicle and take a loaded shotgun. (Not that I believe that version).

While deliberately goading Hill with loud music, coming from the car stereo.

Attended court today:
Melanie Lynn in public gallery - again very enthusiastically jumped up to wave and blow kisses. I heard she was on the witness list, but I didn't think you were able to attend court until you had been called if you were a witness. Perhaps it is because she is a defence witness? Not sure how all that works...

Robbie Ashlin is a colourful bloke: Doesn't mince his words. Jim Francis gave good insight into the radio network and HF radio operation

Prosecution seemed to focus a lot on establishing timelines, who knew about Carol and when, the amateur radio network, what dates RH was on radio and what was discussed and finally, the setup of a radio in a remote location and if someone who used another kind of radio would be able to operate a HF one.

Defence seemed to focus a lot on how and when the r/ship with CC became known, and painting a picture of RH as a fit, strong & secretive man, who was either frustrated or depressed by his lack of productivity post retirement.

Edit: I was surprised by the lack of questions about RH and guns - there was one regarding whether Ashlin knew of the deer hunting incident in which RHs relative was killed.
This strikes me as irrelevant. How does if affect the case against Lynn? I understand the defence is trying to blame the victim, suggest he provoked GL, and so it’s no wonder GL was driven to ultimately defend himself. Still doesn’t explain Carol though.

Sorry I thought zidane said the range the drone could fly was 1.5km, when it's actually about 15km. In which case RH could have ventured far and wide. I'll put my glasses on next time.
If they didn’t arrive at the camp until latish in the day, then had to set up the site and make the radio call, there wouldn’t have been much time before dusk to fly a drone. They’re making it sound as if it was flying for hours.

The drone he had was a DJI mavic, which from what I can tell all models have the SD card in the handheld remote

They might have one in the remote too for config and stuff, but no way is the drone transmitting HD images back to it for storage.

There’s a sd card slot on the drone itself:

Back