Current Trial Wonnangatta - Murders of Russell Hill & Carol Clay *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Disappearance of Barwon Prison Boss David Prideaux - High Country Mount Stirling
Hit and Run Death of Bryce Airs - High Country Jamieson

Israel Keyes

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
I don’t believe a word Lynn says. However, what’s Lynn or anyone got to lose if there’s a low hanging antenna or someone camping too close? If that were the case Lynn would have been a serial killer by now as it happens all the time.
The question one must ask is what would push Lynn over the edge to commit two murders? I would say something which was a very serious threat to him. If he was going to be reported and was looking at doing some jail time/losing his job over whatever was on the drone then I’d say you have your answer. A man’s livelihood and freedom would surely be one serious motive for the murders.

IMO
Do you really think that if Hill had something that was a "very serious threat" to a person camped nearby, that he would confront him about it, start an argument, threaten to report him, then simply go on to organise his camp and cook dinner?

I'm not sure how this is up for discussion. His lawyer said he told the cops where the bodies were. Within a few days of interviewing him the coppers had the bodies.

Also - they knew not just the general area but exactly where to look. Ie I concealed them in a tree hollow to the right of Union Spur track, 2 minutes drive from the start of the track. .

This is not something a GPS tracker could tell the coppers.

Conclusion - he told them where the remains were right down to a description of where they were concealed.

If the prosecution can neutralise the defence's argument of 'My client told the police where the bodies were!' with self interested reasoning of why he did that, it will help them and we were discussing what relevance this deer hunting map in a plastic bag that the defence is introducing, has.

Lynn's actions aren't of a man who was interested in helping the police so what was it that finally tipped him over in to showing them that he actually didnt just dispose of the old couple, but he dismembered, mutilated, burned and crushed them to bits over eight months?

Surely the wife will testify re his behaviour afterwards but I'm betting the prosecution will counter her if she does? For example when did you find out your husband was involved in the couples killings? Obviously Lynn didn't tell her initially at what point did she find out? What was Lynn saying etc when he talked to himself recorded by the bugs there's lots to come out in the coming weeks.
No it is R Hill's wife on the stand today not Lynn's.
His daughter also was also on the witness stand today.

Not very nice.

She told the jury she’d first met Carol Clay in about 1970 and her husband had spent decades claiming she was his “first cousin”.

Mrs Hill said she learnt they weren't related in the early 2000s after a neighbour gave Mr Hill an ultimatum to come clean of the affair.

“I've camped in the bush my whole life and drive thousands of kilometers throughout the alpine region ... there was a couple of things that didn’t sit right.”

What makes you say that???

View attachment 1995943
The list of things that were in the fire (tent) that shouldn't be was: chairs, a solar panel, 2 gas bottles, stove and a tablet. (ipad or other?)
So maybe Hill was also downloading drone footage onto the tablet as he went.
Not always being able to connect to the cloud this would make sense.

Makes you wonder what lengths someone could go to if they knew his wife didn't know that he was continuing his affair after being told he has ended it.

Is it possible GL was in any way associated within any social circles of RH or CC, and sort of was hired to set-up RH to be taught a lesson, things either go pear shaped, or it's a premeditated organised killing.

"She said Mr Hill worked as a logger who could handle the physical rigours of camping, but said "he walked slow and he would think slow" in his later years.

"I just thought he was getting old," she said.
Ms Hill said her husband inherited firearms from his father, but Mr Hill was not a gun user or hunter.

"I don't think he liked it. He never did it," she said." Mrs Hill.

IF People want to fill in the blanks I've identified please copy and add them so we have a complete time line. Thanks.

We Have an updated Timeline from the ABC that might help a few newbies and others follow and understand the so far known:

• March 16, 2020 — Greg Lynn drives to Victoria's High Country for a solo camping and hunting trip.
  • March 19, 7:30am — Russell Hill picks up Carol Clay from her home, and the pair sets off for the same region.
  • March 19, 5pm — A Parks Victoria contractor sees a drone in the Wonnangatta Valley, presumably being flown by Mr Hill.
  • March 20, 6pm — Mr Hill joins a daily high-frequency radio call with friends and signs off 40 minutes later.
  • March 20, evening — After a dispute over Mr Hill's drone, a violent confrontation involving Mr Lynn, Mr Hill and Ms Clay occurs at a campsite named Bucks Camp. The elderly pair die. Prosecutors claim they were murdered, but Mr Lynn insists the deaths were accidental.
  • March 20, evening — Mr Lynn takes steps to cover up the deaths, including setting fire to the campsite, placing the bodies in the trailer of his four-wheel drive and destroying evidence. He drives for several hours from Bucks Camp to the Union Spur track, on the outskirts of the Dargo township, and hides the bodies.
  • 21st March Hotel?
  • 21 March Campsite discovered and photographed by (?) reported to police.
  • 22 March Campsite seen by man and son; reported to police.
  • March 22, afternoon — Mr Lynn returns home to Caroline Springs.
  • Uncertain of date when Police made an initial visit to camp site but it was before below.
  • March 28 — Police examine the scene at Bucks Camp, finding the burnt campsite and damage to Mr Hill's abandoned vehicle.
  • April 1 — Police allege Mr Lynn tried to sell his trailer on Gumtree in an attempt to distance himself from the deaths. The trailer has never been located.
  • May 13 — Mr Lynn returns to Union Spur Track to check on the bodies.
  • June 4 — Mr Lynn allegedly repaints his vehicle, with prosecutors claiming it was an attempt to avoid detection.
  • November 2020 — Mr Lynn returns to the burial site and sets the human remains on fire.
  • September 22, 2021 — Police plant surveillance devices in Mr Lynn's home and car.
  • November 22, 2021 — Mr Lynn drives to a secluded camp area in Arbuckle. Police arrest him, and he later officers he is innocent of murder.
  • November 29, 2021 — Forensic experts find human remains and other items at Union Spur Track, finding DNA evidence of Mr Hill and Ms Clay.
  • May 13, 2024 — A jury is picked for Mr Lynn's Supreme Court murder trial. He pleads not guilty to two counts of murder.
I have added the red comment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes you wonder what lengths someone could go to if they knew his wife didn't know that he was continuing his affair after being told he has ended it.

Is it possible GL was in any way associated within any social circles of RH or CC, and sort of was hired to set-up RH to be taught a lesson, things either go pear shaped, or it's a premeditated organised killing.
Well, that's one I haven' heard before:

9. "Someone" hired Lynn to teach Hill a lesson and/or murder him.

No it is R Hill's wife on the stand today not Lynn's.
His daughter also was also on the witness stand today.
I know talking about Lynn's wife I am. Anyone got access to Hill's wife's story today via the Age or other. She packed Russell's back for him.

If the prosecution can neutralise the defence's argument of 'My client told the police where the bodies were!' with self interested reasoning of why he did that, it will help them and we were discussing what relevance this deer hunting map in a plastic bag that the defence is introducing, has.

Lynn's actions aren't of a man who was interested in helping the police so what was it that finally tipped him over in to showing them that he actually didnt just dispose of the old couple, but he dismembered, mutilated, burned and crushed them to bits over eight months?
Great point. What was the trigger for GL to tell police where the bodies were? If he came forward out of self-guilt, that would certainly hold far more empathetic weight than simply responding after being caught out to the point of knowing the jig was up (or close to).

I know talking about Lynn's wife I am. Anyone got access to Hill's wife's story today via the Age or other. She packed Russell's back for him.
Only thing it really adds from other reports (Guardian, ABC, Daily Mail) is...

"Police officer’s tour of campsite: Burnt remains but no blood​

During other evidence on Tuesday, crime scene officer Sergeant Matthew Tanner described Bucks Camp to the jury.

He said that on March 28, 2020, he visited the campsite and found a white Toyota LandCruiser with fire damage to one side and a wire strung off the back and high into a nearby tree. He believed this was an antenna for a high-frequency radio.

In photographs shown to the jury, Tanner pointed out items in the fire wreckage including burnt solar panels, a camping stove, gas cylinders, an electronic tablet and buckets.

Inside the cabin of the ute was a black leather wallet in the driver’s side footwell, with cards scattered underneath, and an open green wallet in the passenger footwell with Clay’s driver’s licence and Medicare card inside.
Dann asked about the canopy of the ute, which Lynn claims was open when Clay was accidentally shot. Tanner said he did not see any blood stains or human tissue in that area."
*Bolded by me

Only thing it really adds from other reports (Guardian, ABC, Daily Mail) is...

"Police officer’s tour of campsite: Burnt remains but no blood​

During other evidence on Tuesday, crime scene officer Sergeant Matthew Tanner described Bucks Camp to the jury.

He said that on March 28, 2020, he visited the campsite and found a white Toyota LandCruiser with fire damage to one side and a wire strung off the back and high into a nearby tree. He believed this was an antenna for a high-frequency radio.

In photographs shown to the jury, Tanner pointed out items in the fire wreckage including burnt solar panels, a camping stove, gas cylinders, an electronic tablet and buckets.

Inside the cabin of the ute was a black leather wallet in the driver’s side footwell, with cards scattered underneath, and an open green wallet in the passenger footwell with Clay’s driver’s licence and Medicare card inside.
Dann asked about the canopy of the ute, which Lynn claims was open when Clay was accidentally shot. Tanner said he did not see any blood stains or human tissue in that area."
*Bolded by me

Interesting Lynn didn't take the tablet, maybe he didn't notice it.

Do you really think that if Hill had something that was a "very serious threat" to a person camped nearby, that he would confront him about it, start an argument, threaten to report him, then simply go on to organise his camp and cook dinner?
Indeed.

If he led to the bodies why not them? Incriminating evidence?
Whole thing is just strange.
Relevant to world standards Victoria is a massive state with plenty of rural areas. A lot of weird stuff seems to go down
According to reports, he did actually take them to place where he allegedly dumped the keys, phones etc
Yeah he had some monster knives at his house. There's been no mention of a knife as evidence so if he used one of his own its long gone. In fact I dont know if they got the gun that killed Carol? Hopefully as the case goes on we'll find out.
There was a report that they seized a 12G (brand starting with B) that they allege was the weapon that shot CC
Surely the wife will testify re his behaviour afterwards
Given that ML has been in court most days, she will not be able to testify. Even those whose statements are being read are not allowed to attend before their evidence is presented.
Apologies if this has been covered earlier, but how do the police know he went back to the bodies in mid 2020 and late 2020,
Phone records apparently
If over that those three long days he has time to develop a story that fits with what he remembers combined with what he believes or has been told the police know, then ‘coming clean’ and and telling them where the bodies are helps him establish the legitimacy of his story. It’s up to the jury to decide if they believe his version of events.
I don't know about you, but the wording in his interview struck me as very considered and deliberate "...but murder, as I understand it, I am not guilty of." I'd like to see GL's google search history.

And steal his gun.

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

Hill isn't totally unfamiliar with firearms.

Under questioning from Mr Lynn’s barrister, Dermot Dann KC, Mrs Hill confirmed her late husband had been gifted two firearms after his father retired, saying she’d later handed them into police under a gun amnesty program.

She confirmed a relative of Mr Hill, Gary Hill, had been accidentally killed in the Wonnangatta Valley in 1994 by his nephew who mistook him for a deer.

Back