Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
Lynn was definitely up to something.

It's his story to tell and he was helped along by the press and social media buzzing with the possibility the drone was involved and with many not agreeable of course that anybody deserves to die over it, but offering a more sympathetic view because drones are so annoying.

It may not have been the drone at all but their phones potentially recording images and sound.

His story will be manipulated with elements of projection, he'll blame Hill for things he is guilty of himself.

Rather than Hill stealing his gun which IMO is highly unlikely, it might be Lynn sneaking around trying to steal their drone and phones after he thought they were down for the night, for example.

He might have been caught by Hill creeping around their campsite.
Valid supposition, but your again relying on Lynn's time frame, which to my mind is a bit dodgy

Lynn has had months since the photo of the car was shown on TV and the initial police interview to rehearse his story.

I think the part of the altercation about shooting too close and the comments about the relative being shot (if in his ROI(?)) are probably correct.

Turning up his radio as punishment fom the altercation is probably correct, he wouldn't know what evidence the police may have had of what people may have heard.

But we have a petty little man, still smarting about his non. fight altercation with Hill, who beleves that Hill's drone still contains evidence of his shooting which may impact his two loves of his life, flying and hunting.

You don't go down in the light of a almost full moon (i haven't checked; going from a previous post) to rummage a camp site for the drone

I think the killings occured when it was still light which completely changes his time line and puts his ROI into doubt.

The bra wires are possibly immaterial; I know a number of women (or so I've been told), who the first thing they do
when they walk in the front door is to remove their bra. Of course, Hill may have removed it earlier

As much as GL story doesn’t add up did he really just murder 2 people for the hell of it? That’s the most perplexing part.

What we can establish is it feels quite unplanned and it was the result of an altercation.

My take on events.

I am going to assume that GL was aware of RH history in regards to having a family member killed by a hunting accident.

RH and CC set up camp close to GL. They exchange pleasantries where the hunting incident comes up. GL is pissed as he wants the place to himself. This is RH and CCs special area so they are fond of it and not put off by another camper nearby.

GL tries to scare them off by hunting in close proximity so they'll move on. RH defiant sends his drone up to see whats going on. The scare tactic doesn't work but there is a heated exchange and threats are made re drones and footage.

Then either:

GL cranks his music up to piss them off and disturb the quiet. RH approaches GL and asks him to turn the music down. An argument develops where RH ends up dead by knife wound.

GL then hunts down CC, kills her and tidies up his loose ends.

Or:

GL hunts them down and kills them.

Or:

GL version of events unfolds.

A side note. If this happened at 10pm, why would GL fire the rest of the bullets if he is aware that hunting after dark is illegal without a permit. I can't see how deliberately firing a weapon can be distinguished from 'hunting' in terms of responsible gun use after dark. Would this statement potentially cause him issues with his gun license?

Just random thoughts.
Infinite possibilities, as there are opinions and guesses. With so many thoughts of what may have happened, surely someone on this forum has to be right?

Valid supposition, but your again relying on Lynn's time frame, which to my mind is a bit dodgy

The prosecution needs to punch a hole in Lynn's timeline, I haven't seen it yet.

I think the part of the altercation about shooting too close and the comments about the relative being shot (if in his ROI(?)) are probably correct.

Agree on that

You don't go down in the light of a almost full moon (i haven't checked; going from a previous post) to rummage a camp site for the drone

It was a third quarter moon which looks like a half moon, I checked a week ago. Heavy vegetation either side of the track to hide behind and possibly cloudy.

Lynn has had months since the photo of the car was shown on TV and the initial police interview to rehearse his story.

Also wouldn’t mind betting the rumours about him testing his stories out in online forums to see what might float, is true. Particularly the person with the pilot username on one forum who was forcefully trying to control the narrative from pretty much day 1. Kinda makes sense to see what stories a jury might buy, incase you got arrested down the track.

I think the killings occured when it was still light which completely changes his time line and puts his ROI into doubt.

Yes, I'd thought so too but thinking more on it, if the prosecution alleges murderous intent then that suggests to me that he waited until it was dark and he was ready to go.

Murderous intent, while can be a spur of the moment thing, there's not a lot of thought at all gone in to it if he killed them in daylight because if it happened say at 6.30pm he's stuck there cleaning up for nearly four hours when anybody could have come along.

Also if you were in such fear of losing your job/hobby over someone's threat to report you for hunting irresponsibly (with footage as proof), would a reasonable course of action really be to turn music up and annoy them further? Or play nice and hope they don't follow through, hell even apologise and invite them for a drink to try and patch things up?
Nah aggravate the situation and see what happens. What could go wrong??

The defense lawyer has spoken that as such that there was some sort of footage on the drone.

I aso think that GLs version of events proceeds to double down on the gun stuff, leaving it loaded and poorly stored, (GL assumes it was RH that took it?? unless he saw him with it walking back to camp, it was 10pm, near moonless night and possibly cloudy when he found it missing apparently, or did I read that wrong?), firing the gun into the night to empty it (I don't know how this fits in with illegal night hunting, is it assumed that firing a gun at night is considered 'hunting' in the wilderness, let alone reckless).

Also wouldn’t mind betting the rumours about him testing his stories out in online forums to see what might float, is true. Particularly the person with the pilot username on one forum who was forcefully trying to control the narrative from pretty much day 1. Kinda makes sense to see what stories a jury might buy, incase you got arrested down the track.

Can we read said forum posts anywhere?

It was a third quarter moon which looks like a half moon, I checked a week ago. Heavy vegetation either side of the track to hide behind and possibly cloudy.
Torch or Night Vision Goggles then?

Making too much noise and they both get out of bed and Hill tackles him as he flees and Clay is standing under the awning?

We are only in the first part of the evidence, the jury has to see parts of the ROI, we may heard evidence of Lynn's post incident actions (if allowed) and we still have the prosecution's and the defence's summary which will tie all the elements together. Don't forget the Justice's instructions either

The trial was expected to last at least 4 weeks. At least another 2 weeks of evidence yet

Torch or Night Vision Goggles then?

Eyes adjust in the night if he may have had a night/thermal scope on his gun.

Making too much noise and they both get out of bed and Hill tackles him as he flees and Clay is standing under the awning?

That it looks like Lynn shot Carol across the bonnet of Hill's ute which was nose in to the bush, might suggest he was closer to the drivers door on their blind side in the camp.

I work remote where a five day job can stretch out to two weeks and I need to be prepared for it, space is an issue and I do it with one bag. While I can't say what Clay might take with her but an extra bra seems unnecessary and I never pack a spare. They're the easiest thing to wash and dry.
I’m the opposite, I always pack a spare bra when we go camping, they take up next to no room, and incase we get a dewey night and nothing has dried properly in front of the fire, I’ve a spare one. I also think Carol is the kind of lady who wouldn’t feel ‘properly dressed’ without one, as what we know of her she was always so well put together. Plus gravity and being an older woman, yep I just reckon she would’ve packed a spare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turning up his radio as punishment fom the altercation is probably correct, he wouldn't know what evidence the police may have had of what people may have heard.

But we have a petty little man, still smarting about his non. fight altercation with Hill, who beleves that Hill's drone still contains evidence of his shooting which may impact his two loves of his life, flying and hunting.

The bra wires are possibly immaterial; I know a number of women (or so I've been told), who the first thing they do
when they walk in the front door is to remove their bra. Of course, Hill may have removed it earlier
Lynn’s version of events says the incident happened at 10pm. There’s no way anyone would be flying a drone at this time. Certainly not an elderly man who was described as being ‘slower in his older age’.
The argument would have happened earlier on in the day. This gave sufficient time for Lynn to calculate every move. He packed his camp and headed over to Hill’s camp in the dark with no torch, no lights. He approached them from cover ambushing both Hill and Clay coming in from the RHS to LHS bonnet of Hill’s car. First shot was to Hill who was sitting on a chair. Second shot to Hill coming in to finish him off. Third shot to Clay from point blank range to the side of the head while she was crouching near the canopy. Clays forensic dna is found under the canopy implying she was not standing when she was shot. She was also shot in the side of the head so she was clearly not trying to stop an argument face on. He then loads them up into the trailer and burns the exact spots where forensic dna is left. This is obvious from photos. I do not believe Lynn’s version that the side mirror was shot through. There is zero evidence of mirror fragments so far and we still do not know where the side mirror is. He did however remove it for a good reason, possibly by touching it while searching the car.

Also, if there was a knife involved it would have been presented as evidence to back up Lynn’s story that Hill was stabbed with his own knife. It would have had Hill’s finger prints to prove to us that Hill was holding the knife. Furthermore if Lynn went to so much trouble to burn the campsite and bodies then why didn’t he burn the spot where Hill allegedly died? Absolutely no evidence of this, no blood, dna or burnt areas besides the campfire at Lynn’s camp. We still don’t know where the drone, knife and side mirror are. These are vital pieces of evidence to back Lynn’s story which simply don’t exist right now. Lynn’s version is a total fabrication of events.

I do not believe Lynn’s version that the side mirror was shot through. There is zero evidence of mirror fragments so far and we still do not know where the side mirror is. He did however remove it for a good reason, possibly by touching it while searching the car.

There's shattered mirror inside the burnt out campsite, it's suggested Lynn threw it in to burn amongst the rest. There's pieces of Clay's skull found up to 20m away, nothing of Hill's.

There's shattered mirror inside the burnt out campsite, it's suggested Lynn threw it in to burn amongst the rest. There's pieces of Clay's skull found up to 20m away, nothing of Hill's.
I doubt a single slug from a shotgun would only shatter a mirror, it would blow it to pieces. No damage on the car from shards of glass. Clays dna 20m away is probably from her body being moved to the trailer.

Lynn’s version of events says the incident happened at 10pm. There’s no way anyone would be flying a drone at this time. Certainly not an elderly man who was described as being ‘slower in his older age’.
The argument would have happened earlier on in the day. This gave sufficient time for Lynn to calculate every move. He packed his camp and headed over to Hill’s camp in the dark with no torch, no lights. He approached them from cover ambushing both Hill and Clay coming in from the RHS to LHS bonnet of Hill’s car. First shot was to Hill who was sitting on a chair. Second shot to Hill coming in to finish him off. Third shot to Clay from point blank range to the side of the head while she was crouching near the canopy. Clays forensic dna is found under the canopy implying she was not standing when she was shot. She was also shot in the side of the head so she was clearly not trying to stop an argument face on. He then loads them up into the trailer and burns the exact spots where forensic dna is left. This is obvious from photos. I do not believe Lynn’s version that the side mirror was shot through. There is zero evidence of mirror fragments so far and we still do not know where the side mirror is. He did however remove it for a good reason, possibly by touching it while searching the car.

Also, if there was a knife involved it would have been presented as evidence to back up Lynn’s story that Hill was stabbed with his own knife. It would have had Hill’s finger prints to prove to us that Hill was holding the knife. Furthermore if Lynn went to so much trouble to burn the campsite and bodies then why didn’t he burn the spot where Hill allegedly died? Absolutely no evidence of this, no blood, dna or burnt areas besides the campfire at Lynn’s camp. We still don’t know where the drone, knife and side mirror are. These are vital pieces of evidence to back Lynn’s story which simply don’t exist right now. Lynn’s version is a total fabrication of events.
Yes, it doesn't seem to make sense to me that two people died violently (one by shotgun to head, one by knife to heart) outside their tent, without leaving a lot of blood on the ground. So, I therefore conclude they were both within the tent when shot, ergo the need to burn the tent.

Clay's DNA blood/fat could have been transferred from the hands/gloves of the shooter when he was checking the contents of the canopy. After all, he had to handle the bodies to get them into his trailer and we know he had blood on him when he showered at the motel.

How did the two campers die in your opinion?
If you aren't certain how they died then how can you be so sure GL killed them?
He shot them. At least one deliberately, perhaps the other by mischance, but he had the weapon. IMO

Yes, it doesn't seem to make sense to me that two people died violently (one by shotgun to head, one by knife to heart) outside their tent, without leaving a lot of blood on the ground. So, I therefore conclude they were both within the tent when shot, ergo the need to burn the tent.

Clay's DNA blood/fat could have been transferred from the hands/gloves of the shooter when he was checking the contents of the canopy. After all, he had to handle the bodies to get them into his trailer and we know he had blood on him when he showered at the motel.
As the canopy was already open there would be no reason for Lynn to touch the underside of the canopy to search it. I believe Clay was crouching down on her knees when she was shot at point blank range.

I doubt a single slug from a shotgun would only shatter a mirror, it would blow it to pieces. No damage on the car from shards of glass. Clays dna 20m away is probably from her body being moved to the trailer.

Pieces of Clay's skull were found 20m away.

None of Hill's bones or matter was found ergo, he probably did die by knife because we know the mess the shotgun made at the campsite and beyond, up to 20m away.

As much as GL story doesn’t add up did he really just murder 2 people for the hell of it? That’s the most perplexing part.

What we can establish is it feels quite unplanned and it was the result of an altercation.
I don't think it was for the hell of it. I think maybe GL got hold of the drone after threatening to shoot it down and RH demanded it back while GL was also holding the gun. In the struggle for the drone the gun went off, killing RH. CC made a dash for the vehicle to use the radio or whatever, yelling that she was calling the police so GL had no alternative but to stop her - with the gun.

IMO

Oh is that how they died. How do you know that is the way they died?
no sorry your not understanding me.
Lynn clearly had something to with with them dying and him burying them proves that.
I just dont see how it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that it was murder

Last edited:

Couple of things here... Police went to see GL in July 2020 - they had the photo then, and his phone records from the towers. Given he hadn't even responded to the appeal for information he must have known they were onto him much earlier than you suggest, giving even more time to perfect his story.

I believe it was close to a new moon, so there'd be little to mo moonlight. However I am of the same opinion as you, i think the deaths happened earlier than stated. I've seen reports of 9,10 and 11 of which only 9 gives time to do what he did IMO.

OK three things... I thought the same of the bra in the tent debris. Along with the button from the jeans. We know they weren't in the tent when he lit it and I sure as sh*t don't think for one minute he stopped to undress them. I also think it's highly u likely they died in the tent.

He will have stuck as closely as possible to the truth IMO so it's likely things happened somewhat close to what he had stated but I doubt his timing and his reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back