Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
I'm going with the view that, from what we know, there's no reason to contest the confession that Russell died via knife. Prosecution could just work that into the other facts of the case, to further demonstrate Lynn's cold, calculated post-murder actions.

For instance: Russell was stabbed next to, and bled on, the dark-coloured 4WD. Lynn, being paranoid about not successfully cleaning every last droplet off his vehicle, then proceeds to cover up any surreptitious traces of DNA with a new coat of paint (and believing to further hide his involvement by choosing a different colour).

The prosecution can't get anywhere proving your theory that Hill was also shot at his campsite, which is why they're leaving it open.

If the prosecution launched your theory, they've locked themselves in to something that can't be proven and which isn't consistent with the evidence they have.
How do you know they can’t get anywhere if it’s still open? Are you a part of the prosecution and know exactly what evidence will be delivered?

Ofcourse it’s not 100% proven he was shot in my opinion. I don’t think any of your knife theory holds water as well, it’s a complete fantasy which Lynn has sold you.

IMO

Perhaps someone more familiar with hunting can weigh in here...

I was of the notion that Sambar deer are very wary creatures that like densely foliaged, steep sided hills which made me think GL hunting close to camp (ie on the south side of river where it's flat and open) was probably unlikely.
But.... The weed sprayers said he was wearing gaiters when he approached them and he said he was all sweaty coz he'd been hunting - suggesting he had been hunting close by.

Questions...
Are Sambar likely to be around at dusk... Coming down to the river to drink?
And by gaiters, do they mean waders (like he is wearing in one of the pictures circulating?) If so, could that potentially indicate he was hunting from the river?
Gaiters are just protection for the calves and stop crap getting in the top of your boots they are not waterproof like waders.

Can't see why he would wet wade in the river to hunt? good chance he takes a tumble and he would be more visible to any deer if he's in the middle of the river.

Deer do tend to come out as the sun drops they feel safer under the cover of darkness.

If Lynn has been hunting during daylight hours and not seen anything then as the sun drops he can spot deer coming to the river bank or nearby to the campsite he might have been tempted to have a crack at one.
RH hearing the shot nearby goes out to confront Lynn and in an altercation Lynn shoots RH , then knowing his life is ruined he goes back and kills Clay. Might explain no DNA evidence for RH at the campsite he was killed elsewhere.

I don't think Hill stole off Lynn, it's the other way around. Lynn had either stolen, or was busted trying to steal the drone.
Ok so Lynn came in the dark and tried to steal a drone with a shotgun?

Are you serious?

How do you know they can’t get anywhere if it’s still open? Are you a part of the prosecution and know exactly what evidence will be delivered?

The prosecution have already said they don't know how Hill died. If they had evidence Hill died of gunshot, they wouldn't have said that,.

Yes it is logical he probably shot them both but you just said he was violent and ruthless, why not use a knife? There's no evidence Hill was shot, zip, none.

If murderous intent is to be proved on shooting Clay, he didn't shoot straight through that mirror. If anything, his bullet skimmed the frame. imo. Still a good if God awful shot on a moving target and he got her square in the head.

Unless she was cowering on the tent side of the Ute and he came around the front and fired from there

Yes, that's what I'm thinking happened. He shot over the bonnet

I’m assuming he’s right handed so a movement like that would make sense as opposed to coming around from the rear side. The theory could be completely wrong. Wonder where they found the slug fragment with CCs DNA.

Lynn was definitely up to something.

It's his story to tell and he was helped along by the press and social media buzzing with the possibility the drone was involved and with many not agreeable of course that anybody deserves to die over it, but offering a more sympathetic view because drones are so annoying.

It may not have been the drone at all but their phones potentially recording images and sound.

His story will be manipulated with elements of projection, he'll blame Hill for things he is guilty of himself.

Rather than Hill stealing his gun which IMO is highly unlikely, it might be Lynn sneaking around trying to steal their drone and phones after he thought they were down for the night, for example.

He might have been caught by Hill creeping around their campsite.
Wow, I'm of the opinion that GL is simply a serial killer in practice or in the making, but if I was to be convinced that he was somehow involved in an a fight, your version of events (that he was sneaking around their tent), is most likely to convince me. I like your thinking. It almost works for me. But then I think about what he did to the bodies and IMO he belongs in a very special category of very sick, depraved individuals that just do what they do to filll a dark bottomless pit in their souls. IMO

Wow, I'm of the opinion that GL is simply a serial killer in practice or in the making, but if I was to be convinced that he was somehow involved in an a fight, your version of events (that he was sneaking around their tent), is most likely to convince me. I like your thinking. It almost works for me. But then I think about what he did to the bodies and IMO he belongs in a very special category of very sick, depraved individuals that just do what they do to filll a dark bottomless pit in their souls. IMO

It’s very unlikely GL is a serial killer. This crime smacks of an argument gone wrong that escalated to a double murder. Nothing planned or organised about. One blokes ego over another. That’s it. IMHO. Wonder if any alcohol involved.

Perhaps someone more familiar with hunting can weigh in here...

I was of the notion that Sambar deer are very wary creatures that like densely foliaged, steep sided hills which made me think GL hunting close to camp (ie on the south side of river where it's flat and open) was probably unlikely.
But.... The weed sprayers said he was wearing gaiters when he approached them and he said he was all sweaty coz he'd been hunting - suggesting he had been hunting close by.

Questions...
Are Sambar likely to be around at dusk... Coming down to the river to drink?
And by gaiters, do they mean waders (like he is wearing in one of the pictures circulating?) If so, could that potentially indicate he was hunting from the river?
Sambar are insanely weary creatures, one of the hardest of all deer to hunt. They evolved to evade large cats in their natural environment and have highly attuned senses.

Hunting "near to" a popular camp spot like Bucks camp is unlikely to be fruitful because under strong hunting pressure Sambar (and most deer) will moderate their patterns to avoid being caught out, they push deeper into the bush into those steep and dense areas you referred to. And the 'gatta despite its remoteness is a very popular hunting area.

Naturally they are nocturnal, so after dark a young animal could come close to camp, but during daylight hours I wouldn't expect to see an animal within 500m of the river flats, which is a surprisingly long distance.

That being said I don't think GL was much of a "deer hunter", yeh maybe he dabbled in hunting but looking at the published list of firearms he owned I suspect he was not overly serious.

We're on the same page here...as I said, little to no moonlight, lots to do. I haven't seen anything that talks about what GL had by way of shelter (swag? tent? etc), but I think we all agree (and I posted the same after opening statements) that he packed up his campsite, dragged two full sized humans into his trailer before raiding the car, gathering up all their gear and any obvious evidence (including at least 3 shotgun shell casings), throwing it in the tent and setting it alight - all in pitch dark. That's gotta be more than an hour's worth of activity, two is pushing it.
Thanks

Now, I know in a previous post (which I can't find off hand) you did some research into drones.

On a quick Google search, the best flight time for a high end consumer drone is about 30 minutes on a single charge. Evidence has been led that the two weed sprayers saw the drone at about 3, so the drone could have been back before 3:30

Now, did Hill have 2 batteries or was he using the solar panel to recharge the drone's battery. How long would it take a drone to recharge on 12 v or even on 240 V via an inverter?

This may be part way to fixing a time frame; it may mean that Lynn was viewed hunting in the Valley between 2:30 and 3:30

How did Hill recharge the drone? Battery pack, from the vehicle via an inverter or his solar panels?

Quality Solar panels are expensive. I wouldn't be leaving one outside after dark (where my fat feet and Murphy's law would be costly). I wouldn't store it in the tent because of the same reason; I'd put it in the vehicle. If it was outside recharging the drone, or battery pack it was still light.

We know they 2 fixed time points, the drone flight and the radio sked. The solar panel outside may be another fixed time point, that Lynn accosted Hill before sunset.

Random points because I've been thinking about it too much.

Did Lynn arrive back to camp soon after seeing the drone?

The altercation was well before the radio sked? Hill didn't mention it because he wasn't worried about it and it was of no consequence to his friends

Did Lynn follow Hill after the altercation and stewing on for far too long and demand the drone at gun point?

There may then be some truth about the fatal events if Hill tried to defend himself against an armed robbery. Doubt that though, Hunting Safety101 never point a gun at a target if not you're going to shoot

I'm going with the view that, from what we know, there's no reason to contest the confession that Russell died via knife. Prosecution could just work that into the other facts of the case, to further demonstrate Lynn's cold, calculated post-murder actions.

For instance: Russell was stabbed next to, and bled on, the dark-coloured 4WD. Lynn, being paranoid about not successfully cleaning every last droplet off his vehicle, then proceeds to cover up any surreptitious traces of DNA with a new coat of paint (and believing to further hide his involvement by choosing a different colour).

Agree, absolutely no reason for the prosecution to contest that Hill died by knife. If they had any proof otherwise, it would catch Lynn out on a big lie and see him convicted.

I think Lynn probably killed him with a knife and Hill died first as the prosecution suggests, that he then hunted Clay down and shot her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m assuming he’s right handed so a movement like that would make sense as opposed to coming around from the rear side. The theory could be completely wrong. Wonder where they found the slug fragment with CCs DNA.
"Wonder where they found the slug fragment with CCs DNA."

Did they say that at the trial?

It’s very unlikely GL is a serial killer. This crime smacks of an argument gone wrong that escalated to a double murder. Nothing planned or organised about. One blokes ego over another. That’s it. IMHO. Wonder if any alcohol involved.
I think the timeline makes it possible or even likely that he had already packed up his camp before they were killed. That smacks of planning to kill. Then he put all their belongings in the tent and set it alight. That smacks of a plan to cover up his crimes.

Gaiters are just protection for the calves and stop crap getting in the top of your boots they are not waterproof like waders.

Can't see why he would wet wade in the river to hunt? good chance he takes a tumble and he would be more visible to any deer if he's in the middle of the river.

Deer do tend to come out as the sun drops they feel safer under the cover of darkness.

If Lynn has been hunting during daylight hours and not seen anything then as the sun drops he can spot deer coming to the river bank or nearby to the campsite he might have been tempted to have a crack at one.
RH hearing the shot nearby goes out to confront Lynn and in an altercation Lynn shoots RH , then knowing his life is ruined he goes back and kills Clay. Might explain no DNA evidence for RH at the campsite he was killed elsewhere.
Would be good to know if he was wearing them when he checked into the hotel to clean up. Do we know if any of the clothes Lynn was wearing on that day have been seized including the gaiters, or did Lynn burn them all?

"Wonder where they found the slug fragment with CCs DNA."

Did they say that at the trial?

Dunno I’m not attending the trial as I don’t live in Australia. Just going on the media reporting. I haven’t seen any reporting on where this particular piece of evidence is located within the camp site.

Sambar are insanely weary creatures, one of the hardest of all deer to hunt. They evolved to evade large cats in their natural environment and have highly attuned senses.

Hunting "near to" a popular camp spot like Bucks camp is unlikely to be fruitful because under strong hunting pressure Sambar (and most deer) will moderate their patterns to avoid being caught out, they push deeper into the bush into those steep and dense areas you referred to. And the 'gatta despite its remoteness is a very popular hunting area.

Naturally they are nocturnal, so after dark a young animal could come close to camp, but during daylight hours I wouldn't expect to see an animal within 500m of the river flats, which is a surprisingly long distance.

That being said I don't think GL was much of a "deer hunter", yeh maybe he dabbled in hunting but looking at the published list of firearms he owned I suspect he was not overly serious.

Have you come across many hunters using 12g on deer? I have to admit I haven’t but I’ve not done it for a long time

Thanks

Now, I know in a previous post (which I can't find off hand) you did some research into drones.

On a quick Google search, the best flight time for a high end consumer drone is about 30 minutes on a single charge. Evidence has been led that the two weed sprayers saw the drone at about 3, so the drone could have been back before 3:30

Now, did Hill have 2 batteries or was he using the solar panel to recharge the drone's battery. How long would it take a drone to recharge on 12 v or even on 240 V via an inverter?

This may be part way to fixing a time frame; it may mean that Lynn was viewed hunting in the Valley between 2:30 and 3:30

How did Hill recharge the drone? Battery pack, from the vehicle via an inverter or his solar panels?

Quality Solar panels are expensive. I wouldn't be leaving one outside after dark (where my fat feet and Murphy's law would be costly). I wouldn't store it in the tent because of the same reason; I'd put it in the vehicle. If it was outside recharging the drone, or battery pack it was still light.

We know they 2 fixed time points, the drone flight and the radio sked. The solar panel outside may be another fixed time point, that Lynn accosted Hill before sunset.

Random points because I've been thinking about it too much.

Did Lynn arrive back to camp soon after seeing the drone?

The altercation was well before the radio sked? Hill didn't mention it because he wasn't worried about it and it was of no consequence to his friends

Did Lynn follow Hill after the altercation and stewing on for far too long and demand the drone at gun point?

There may then be some truth about the fatal events if Hill tried to defend himself against an armed robbery. Doubt that though, Hunting Safety101 never point a gun at a target if not you're going to shoot
From the. Hrng campsite it looks like the battery under the car has a lead going from it toward the tent (to the solar panel perhaps). The solar panel looks like it was put into the tent. I like you, don't leave my solar panel outside at night. But I also don't put it I to the tent. I generally put it under the car.

The battery position leads me to think he was using it run the fridge... No evidence of a solar controller or inverterr that I can see.

I think the timeline makes it possible or even likely that he had already packed up his camp before they were killed. That smacks of planning to kill. Then he put all their belongings in the tent and set it alight. That smacks of a plan to cover up his crimes.

It’s possible. I think it’s more likely there was an unplanned confrontation and it went from there. If we are to believe Lynn he wasn’t packed ready to go, otherwise how could RH access his firearms.

It’s more likely in comparison that they both got on the sauce at their respective sites and one upped each other until it came to a head.

Maybe they had a major disagreement on the fundamentals of bee keeping. Who knows.

I wonder if CC was scrambling around on her knees trying to look under the vehicle for the spare key when she was shot? Maybe she grabbed at the mirror as she went down, breaking it off.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

She might have been after hearing Hill yelling out he'd been stabbed while trying to get his drone/phone whatever, back.

I don't believe Lynn's story of Hill stealing his gun and Lynn chasing him back to their campsite where it all happened. Lynn's reversed it all.

Lynn stole Hill's drone and Hill was probably chasing Lynn down to get it back. That's when Lynn stabbed him.

Clay is still on the loose so Lynn grabs his gun and gets down there fast before she can make an emergency call out.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back