Umpiring Working With Children checks and impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I guess this would definitely apply to club officials and administrations as well, but, I note that from this season, the VAFA and i assume other organisations, have an official policy that all umpires are to have a current Victorian Working With Children Check, both for umpiring Under 19/Junior Football and those umpires who are under the age of 18.

Anyone over the age of 18 in the VAFAUA has to have this check, except for those in the Victorian Police or involved with teaching and having a current Victorian Institute Of Teaching accreditation.

I got one. Very easy to do. Just fill out a form then I went to the Post Office I think to get picture done. Send it off and then a couple of weeks later you get an I.D and relevant paperwork

My housemate has got one and the photo on the ID card did its best to make him look like a creepy kiddy fiddler...
I got my ID card a few weeks back.

the passport photo lady wouldn't let me smile and i had a 3 or 4 day stubble. I looked like one without even trying! :oops:

I just got one three weeks ago - Including paying for the passport photo at the Post Office, which included 7 copies that I probably won't ever need, it cost me $116 -

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honest question, has anyone gotten one of these and ended up with a photo on card that DIDN'T make them look like a criminal?

I doubt it

I got mine in the mail last week - I thought there was something wrong with my card instantly... my card number is 00000000-01

The rang me up a couple of days later and said there was a mistake and they're sending out my real one in the mail and I have to return the mistake card...

Luckily the place I work at didn't seem to notice the weird number, I mean, it's not the card you want people thinking that I've made a conteifeit one

I just completed my first year coaching pre primary kids Auskick.

I went to a half day course and attended a secondary course as well as doing an online component, but at no time have I been asked to provide a working with children card. I asked the other guy that coached with me and he never got one either. It is astounding in this day and age. Pretty sure that I am going to coach again next year and I will follow it up before then.

In Victoria there is some debate about who has to have one for volunteer work, like coaching.

The legislation gave an exemption for those whose children are normally part of the activity.

I was on the local school council and there was considerable discussion about whether parent volunteers in the classroom or day excursions should have them or not. Local regional office said we did.

http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au/home/about+the+check/who+needs+a+check/exemptions/

Oh, I would not let anyone who looks like my photo on the card anywhere near my kids.

In Victoria there is some debate about who has to have one for volunteer work, like coaching.

The legislation gave an exemption for those whose children are normally part of the activity.

I was on the local school council and there was considerable discussion about whether parent volunteers in the classroom or day excursions should have them or not. Local regional office said we did.

http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au/home/about the check/who needs a check/exemptions/

Oh, I would not let anyone who looks like my photo on the card anywhere near my kids.
If your local league request that you should have one, get one.
It's the same with your local umpiring association. If they request that you have a working with children's check get one.

It is actually law in Victoria that everyone obtain one. Has been for a couple of years. All umpires are volunteers (despite being paid) so you should only pay for the photo and endorse the app as a Volunteer.

Start applying now for your cards if you think there’s half a chance you will need one for work or school or sport etc. You can imagine with lockdown lifting that every man and his dog will be applying in January. Plenty of time left on mine fortunately.

You will get an SMS to confirm if you passed the check or not around 7-10 days before you receive it. It usually takes around 4-5 weeks after applying for it to get the card in the mail.

The irony of the above post has just hit me like nobodies business.

Anyway, the current fee is $121.10 and $91.70 to renew.

Passport photos at the post office are now $20, thieving bastards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back