Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Third Round - Australia V Japan/Saudi Arabia

Remove this Banner Ad

Sainsbury now blaming they have to fly on planes to get here to play football. Just the wrong attitude.

Japan too good but it was the Saudi home game and draws to China and Oman that cost us. Should’ve been good enough to win those and that’s on the coach

The problem with Arnold for me is that we have no identity.

Go back to when we were 1-1 away in Japan, that draw would have been great for us instead we go all out for the win, stupid ignorant football. We concede and our campaign went pear-shaped from there.

We need to be a defensive side to begin with and attack from there. We are just too all over the place, we have no identity as a footballing nation. Defend, attack, defend, attack. Make it up as you go.

The positives from tonight, Australia still has a back door entry to the World Cup

I fancy them to knock over the other Asian team in the playoff.

Uruguay/Paraguay/Chile in 2 legs will be a different story though.
I think its Peru instead of Paraguay, but agree, all three of them will slap us silly

Following these Socceroos is just like following the Saints for the last decade.

You know the quality just isn't there like the previous generation, and you're having to sell yourself hope that your ship heading for the abyss has started to turn around...

But it just hasn't. It's only getting darker.

Happy Easter everyone!

By "we" that means "media". Sydney mafia got him and put their bloke in.
Couldn't agree more.

Players live and die for Ange no matter where he is. Supporters are exactly the same, everyone I knew in Aus was 100% behind Australia not being a "long ball" playing nation and Ange tried to change that.

Arnold needs to * right off. He was waiting for the perfect moment (it never comes) to make subs. He made some huge tactical eras in previous matches where we should have taken a 1 goal win but subbed on offensive players. He has never been successful outside of Aus or even tried.

I also think this is a dumb suggestion but not filling out Stadium Australia in Sydney with the crowd was not good.

Melbourne/Adelaide or Perth should take the South American qualifier- if we get that far.

In order MCG> Adelaide Oval> Perth Stadium> Docklands.
The playoffs are played at a neutral venue in Doha. It's a once off match.

The positives from tonight, Australia still has a back door entry to the World Cup

I fancy them to knock over the other Asian team in the playoff.

Uruguay/Paraguay/Chile in 2 legs will be a different story though.
Play-offs are just a one-off match this year. Not that it matters, because the South American team will pump us assuming we even get past the UAE.

Can’t believe going into Japan in Tokyo, we were top of the group.
Since then one ******* win.
Draw against Oman, China, Saudi Arabia and lose to Japan twice. Heh.
Shocking

I've nothing but admiration for Japan though. Love how they play compared to other AFC teams, great players with good attitudes. I was listening to Simon Hill about a month ago on the radio talk about how Japan overhauled their football system in the 90s and that's what we should be doing. They are the real kings of AFC.

Bang on. I think I heard that interview too.

How many clubs and new divisions did Japan introduce to their league? It was dozens and dozens, and many divisions.

The talent rises to the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the Vietnam game. Vietnam had their chances to score. We just aren't a good football nation right now and it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel with this group of players.

Arnold is a speshul coach.

I still do not know why we didn't learn this lesson the first time around, when he failed last time with a more talented squad :rolleyes:

The playoffs are played at a neutral venue in Doha. It's a once off match.
Play-offs are just a one-off match this year. Not that it matters, because the South American team will pump us assuming we even get past the UAE.

Well im not writing off Australias chances. In a 1 cup tie knock out anything can happen.

The Asia qualifier also happens to be a 1 knock off match.

Our chances of qualifying right now for 2026 world cup is about a 1 in 4 chance in an ideal world.

Those last 15 minutes were pretty average. I know the options were limited off the bench, but to put on the 3 smallest players up front and then hit long high balls to a settled defence just screwed any chance we had.

100%

They are churning out absolute quality - look at their starting lineup compared to ours. Starters in all top 5 leagues.

We can barely get one of our starting 11 on the field for a top 5 league nowadays. Our number 10 is barely used in Bundesliga. Theirs is a rotation for one of the best teams in the world.

The chasm between the two national sides is massive.

I used to think that once players like Kagawa and Honda drop off for them then they'll come back down to our level. They've just produced more talent which proves they have a great system. You don't need to be a traditional footballing nation to be competitive. We've rested on our laurels probably just assuming it would happen. But it doesn't work like that. Japan set out a plan in the 90s to build a competitive domestic league from scratch. From there they got their development paths right and are now reaping the rewards.

Let's be real here...

The Australian coach is reported to have covid, and then proceeds takes his dog for a walk in Sydney

Yeah let's face it we don't have a genius on our hands here.

really? wowie thanks for letting me know, I didnt know that

in that case Aussies chances are fcuked.

Yeah, we play the other third placed team from the AFC and then the winner of that game plays the fifth placed team from the South American conference a week later. First game is early June.

How many clubs and new divisions did Japan introduce to their league? It was dozens and dozens, and many divisions.

I think he said it was like 10 teams or something in a single division? Then expanded it to 3 professional divisions with something like 40 or 50 teams.

That is all well and good but they have 100m more people than us and aren't competing against multiple other sports. We are probably decades from being able to do something on the same level. Just getting a 2nd division off the ground and having those clubs become competitive will take years.

Agree with (I think dwwaino ) in regards to Japan. As an Asian team we should be getting behind them, they don't play like a lot of other Asian teams (read Middle East) where they carry on, they play hard and fair and I respect the hell out of that. I hope they do well in the World Cup because Asian success is good for us all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back