Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

And remember that they are removing the flagstick, hugging and shaking hands on the green.

Trust me all weekend he has been talking about shaking hands. Jack ain’t happy.

Excellent golf but the tamping down behind the ball drives me nuts from these pros

One thing if we are doing it—another when they do it.

And to be clear there are tons of them that pull that maneuver..tons

He consistently does the same crap we jump on Reed for

These guys all try to improve the lie behind their balls

Those two are not the only ones—this generation of players do it as a matter of course
You can't honestly compare what happened to Rahm to what Patrick Reed did.

There is a very realistic chance Rahm wasn't even looking at the ball when it moved. As for placing your club behind the ball, I have no issue with this and it's something I do myself, as would most other golfers. It's not about improving your lie at all. In thick rough like that the margin of error is so tight that unless you get the ball 100% clean you're basically stuffed. It's just getting a feel for the shot you're about to play imo.

I'm glad Rahm had a comfortable margin that it didn't effect the end result. I'm not entirely comfortable with penalties being handed out as a result of the TV coverage. Especially when it's not consistent. The same thing happened to Finau yesterday and nothing came of it.

There is a very realistic chance Rahm wasn't even looking at the ball when it moved. As for placing your club behind the ball, I have no issue with this and it's something I do myself, as would most other golfers. It's not about improving your lie at all. In thick rough like that the margin of error is so tight that unless you get the ball 100% clean you're basically stuffed. It's just getting a feel for the shot you're about to play imo.

I'm glad Rahm had a comfortable margin that it didn't effect the end result. I'm not entirely comfortable with penalties being handed out as a result of the TV coverage. Especially when it's not consistent. The same thing happened to Finau yesterday and nothing came of it.
What he did, in my opinion is make it easier to catch the ball cleanly.

He does it a lot and did so earlier in the round.

Many of the new generation of pros do this. He isn’t alone.

Reed does it all the damn time to—he got caught doing exactly what Rahm did. Making it easier to catch ball cleaner. But unlike most everyone else he did it in the sand, so he couldn’t hide behind the blurry “line” you have marked out which can allow it to go overlooked as it often does.

The fact most do what he did—especially younger set, doesn’t make it less wrong.

Not gonna change my mind on it. I get you see it differently so it is all good.

He also didn’t just put his club down. He tamped down the grass behind that ball several times and it absolutely allowed him better access.

Finau was wrong too, like I said it is rampant in younger golfers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These three thumbnails show ball as it was, him doing the tamp, ball as it was after his actions.

Cannot tell me the ball after he tamped the grass down is not easier to get to. Absolutely is.

Again, he is not the only one that pulls this. But it is wrong across the board in my opinion

E208318A-F790-4186-B88F-7C76A0E5B994.png

09044EF2-C8BD-417E-9A26-041EC219CEC9.png

37AC59C3-C861-459B-9F59-10BBE1EFB1CC.png

He also didn’t just put his club down. He tamped down the grass behind that ball several times and it absolutely allowed him better access.

Finau was wrong too, like I said it is rampant in younger golfers.

How do you know the elder statesmen aren't guilty of the same action? Or that thomson, watson, seve, jack etc weren't either

How do you know the elder statesmen aren't guilty of the same action? Or that thomson, watson, seve, jack etc weren't either

They may be but not observed older guys doing it as of yet...maybe cause they are not in contention. I will grant that.

Other guys aren't playing so can't say...only watched them when I was a kid.

Let's face it the only reason he got caught was because in this instance he tamped it so much the ball changed position. His intent was simply to make it easier to get down to it.

I have no problem with golfers addressing the ball before taking a swing. However, Rahm puts the club down and lifts it repeatedly. This is deliberately cheating.

if there were no cameras would this be an issue?

Nope, never get caught.

Bobby Jones cost himself a major title—US Open, by calling a penalty on himself for causing the ball to oscillate. Not a camera around and could easily have done nothing.

I dare say not very many guys today would do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back