Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of Cam Smith, I'm already a fan of his golf - but that fan status was developed watching 4 round golf and cut lines.
Imho - pressure built circumstances that create greatness.

I am unsure as to how else a pro golfer would attract fans pre LIV. It's like saying I enjoy Dusty Martins play because of the way he played AFL football over a H&A and finals season.

I believe what Im trying to ascertain here is that there is vitriol about the players who went to the LIV. But with Leish and Smith there now, I get the feeling Aussies aren't hating them like other LIVers which raises eyebrows.

I do. I like following the young Aussies try get their PGA cards.

Min Woo Lee unfortunately missed his opportunity this morning.

Its good to watch for sure!

It's interesting. There's an argument that LIV doesnt have TV rights because its inferior to the PGA. The KF tour is inferior to the PGA tour as well, but it is telecast. I think the "inferior" argument is vexed, as IF in the future LIV secures a TV deal, those who previously made the inferior argument will quickly deny using it.

Paul Gow on SEN just giving it to the PGA, saying they decimated the Aus tour, and how LIV will be fantastic for Aus golf.
Interesting to hear the opposite argument from a former pro, which I agree with btw.

Interesting given he has done work for Fox Sports who have PGA Tour rights

Its good to watch for sure!

It's interesting. There's an argument that LIV doesnt have TV rights because its inferior to the PGA. The KF tour is inferior to the PGA tour as well, but it is telecast. I think the "inferior" argument is vexed, as IF in the future LIV secures a TV deal, those who previously made the inferior argument will quickly deny using it.

This is a test case tour for LIV this year, they are all invitational events. It is next year when LIV starts as an actual tour and it is then they will have a TV deal. My understanding is they did not even try to get a tv deal this year.
By the start of next year they will almost certainly of added more players from the PGA tour.
A tv deal will be a lock and I agree those who think TV has not been Interested will quickly disappear.

Next time I watch will be the first time

Watched all of it, still not sure about the shotgun starts but it was a terrific event and another nice step forward for LIV. some Great players now with LIV and before their first tour year year next year I expect quite a number more to be added.

This is a test case tour for LIV this year, they are all invitational events. It is next year when LIV starts as an actual tour and it is then they will have a TV deal. My understanding is they did not even try to get a tv deal this year.
By the start of next year they will almost certainly of added more players from the PGA tour.
A tv deal will be a lock and I agree those who think TV has not been Interested will quickly disappear.

Posters online will be quickly deleting their posts too. Luckily mods can see them. haha

Watched all of it, still not sure about the shotgun starts but it was a terrific event and another nice step forward for LIV.
GWS - how do you cope with the fake excitement/fawning by the LIV commentators?

Eg the chick that interviewed Cam Smith: "Well Cam LIV's tagline is golf but loud. But out here today a better word would be DEAFENING!!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS - how do you cope with the fake excitement/fawning by the LIV commentators?

Eg the chick that interviewed Cam Smith: "Well Cam LIV's tagline is golf but loud. But out here today a better word would be DEAFENING!!"

They are a bit over the top at the minute but i guess they are just trying to pump up their product.
I am struggling to cope with the incessant whinging and complaining from Rory and Billy and the PGA tour more than anything. Also annoys me that the media don't throw questions back at Rory and co.

Hey Rory why don't you play the DP world tour? You choose the Play the US PGA tour for more money yes?
Do you have a problem with your sponsor Nike using child labour to make their shoes in sweatshops?
Why don't you question the USA government and president for being Saudi Arabias biggest customer?
Why don't you travel the world and play golf Rory? Not once or twice a year but 10-15 times a year?

What is wrong with the media? they ask the LIV players questions but say nothing to the US pGA players.

They are a bit over the top at the minute but i guess they are just trying to pump up their product.
I am struggling to cope with the incessant whinging and complaining from Rory and Billy and the PGA tour more than anything. Also annoys me that the media don't throw questions back at Rory and co.

Hey Rory why don't you play the DP world tour? You choose the Play the US PGA tour for more money yes?
Do you have a problem with your sponsor Nike using child labour to make their shoes in sweatshops?
Why don't you question the USA government and president for being Saudi Arabias biggest customer?
Why don't you travel the world and play golf Rory? Not once or twice a year but 10-15 times a year?

What is wrong with the media? they ask the LIV players questions but say nothing to the US pGA players.

I'm still convinced you are actually Greg Norman.

If LIV reverted to the 72 hole format, which we all seem to prefer, but became a truly global tour, with big tournaments on each continent, would those against it change their tune or continue to support the PGA?
I have a feeling this is what the Shark might be aiming to do, and if he’s successful the PGA tour may become irrelevant.

If LIV reverted to the 72 hole format, which we all seem to prefer, but became a truly global tour, with big tournaments on each continent, would those against it change their tune or continue to support the PGA?
I have a feeling this is what the Shark might be aiming to do, and if he’s successful the PGA tour may become irrelevant.
A tennis-style world wide tour would be grouse.

Don’t see the PGA/European/Asian working together to make it a reality.

I'm not sure many people really care at all about the week to week tour - regardless of whether it's PGA Tour or LIV.

Most people just care about:
  • 4 majors
  • Ryder Cup
Then if pushed maybe:
  • Players Championship
  • Scottish Open
  • Riviera
  • President's Cup (?)
And if you're Australian then the Aussie Open.

To use the tennis example no one really gives a rats outside the majors and the Aussie summer events. Don't believe golf any different - world tour or not.

I'm not sure many people really care at all about the week to week tour - regardless of whether it's PGA Tour or LIV.

Most people just care about:
  • 4 majors
  • Ryder Cup
Then if pushed maybe:
  • Players Championship
  • Scottish Open
  • Riviera
  • President's Cup (?)
And if you're Australian then the Aussie Open.

To use the tennis example no one really gives a rats outside the majors and the Aussie summer events. Don't believe golf any different - world tour or not.

Pretty much this plus anything played at Pebble Beach.

Also love watching the European Masters at Crans-Sur-Sierre.

Last edited:
No chat on here but once again anyone watch the LIV event or no interest?

Seems very strange they are madly pumping up a big tournament in Aus next April when it seems no one could GAF out here.

Watched it and loved every minute of it.
Will be a sell out in Australia and pretty much everywhere. Huge crowds at this event in Chicago.

Seems very strange they are madly pumping up a big tournament in Aus next April when it seems no one could GAF out here.
Watched the last 10 minutes when i saw Smith was leading. Watched the last 30 seconds of the PGA Tour as well, hell of a choke by Willett.

no comments this morning about the pga tournament this morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back