Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that Aussies (crowds) simply do not turn up to those Australian summer tour events? The fact that they bled money for decades before the PGA changed to a wraparound schedule which then somehow became the problem?
This is a very underrated point.

The Australian Open was literally on its knees a decade ago (well before the wraparound days). It had to move from Melbourne to Sydney to be saved. People simply did not turn up. And the great majority of our Aus players came home and played back then.

Looks like the LIV tournament is going to be played at Grange here in SA.

LIV want exclusive access to the course for 3 weeks. Not sure how the 3000 members are going to feel about that considering both the East and West courses will be off limits during that time.

State Government is going to dip into the Tourism budget to pay for the rights to hold the tournament.

Grange is the course where the Shark won his first ever tournament on the Australian PGA tour.

Lol at state government putting funds into the rights to host the tournament. Yikes...

2028 Presidents Cup is in Melbourne and no course has been confirmed yet.

Two ideas;

How cool would it be to have the event played at 4 different courses - Day 1 Kingston Heath - Day 2 Metro - Day 3 Victoria - Day 4 Royal Melbourne. Just make it a huge opportunity for Melbourne to flex.

And secondly, since you have 4 courses set up, play a women's event as well. Same format, alternate days.

Two ideas;

How cool would it be to have the event played at 4 different courses - Day 1 Kingston Heath - Day 2 Metro - Day 3 Victoria - Day 4 Royal Melbourne. Just make it a huge opportunity for Melbourne to flex.

And secondly, since you have 4 courses set up, play a women's event as well. Same format, alternate days.
Royal Burnley?

Two ideas;

As much as that idea seems awesome, I cant see them running with it unfortunately.
The problem comes with a tournament like that in the leadup time. They'd need 5-6 weeks before the tournament for members to vacate and not use the course. Cant imagine 4 top courses at once would be happy to do that.

In fact its the main reason Kooyonga said no to LIV.

Why? State governments do that all the time. What’s the issue here?

I can pay Cam Smith $100m but I need state government funds to run a tournament. Come on, do I really need to spell it out for you?

I can pay Cam Smith $100m but I need state government funds to run a tournament. Come on, do I really need to spell it out for you?

No you just need to know how the world works, this happens at all high levels of sport. The VIC government also put in millions to host the President cup, they paid Tiger woods 3 million appearance fee to get him to Australia. The PGA tour and Tiger could afford it on their own.

Two ideas;

No chance.

The infrastructure setup is gigantic for the President's Cup. Impossible to shift the entire circus across to four different courses over a four day period.

Will be hosted by a (min) 36 hole venue with the space to accommodate. I'd think PKGC the short priced favourite but RM still a hope.

No chance.

The infrastructure setup is gigantic for the President's Cup. Impossible to shift the entire circus across to four different courses over a four day period.

Will be hosted by a (min) 36 hole venue with the space to accommodate. I'd think PKGC the short priced favourite but RM still a hope.
Get it up to Yarrawonga.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two ideas;

No chance.

I tend to agree with Pres. Sure do it for the Aus Open (Vic and KH), but the PC no. Well, never say never, but its close to never.

Is a 36 hole complex required? I believe the Qual Hollow Club (QHC) is only 18. Either way, all good.

Was interested to hear thoughts from interstate guests this week whilst at PKCGC. They mentioned that the club is the best facility wise in the country.

No chance.

Yes and no. They are doing now in Scotland over 3 courses in the Links Championship. It could be done.

Work was a bit quiet today so I gave LIV Bangkok a bit of a go. More than I have with any of the other LIV events.

Personally, it's a mess. A big part of watching golf for me is the course itself. With the shotgun start, I just get lost. For example I like watching DJ play a hole, then Smith play behind him seeing how he navigates the hole. With the normal format, you learn the course and each individual hole so much better and it adds to the story of the round.

With so many shots being shown, and by players I am simply not interested in, it's just so confusing and the story of the course itself, its hazards and what players have in front of them are simply lost in it all and just leaves me confused.

I've got no idea how they'll go getting people to and from the course there though, a logistical nightmare I'd imagine with no trains or parking closeby?

There's parking on warrigal road which was used for the presidents cup from memory. i bit of a walk but managable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back